IGNORED

American League MVP is ... ???

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 4180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who will be the MVP of the American League in 2012?

• Miguel Cabrera
    • Mike Trout

Originally Posted by RoyHotPower

And lets not even get into post season performance.  If MLB was really serious about that, the awards would be handed out tomorrow before post season begins.

I know they don't announce the awards until after the season to keep themselves in the news longer but I would hope that they are at least required to turn in their ballots prior to the start of the playoffs.  Does anybody know?

If not, I totally agree with you.  If the Rangers make the LDS and Cabrera were to inexplicably go 0-15 with 15 strikeouts how could that not weigh on the minds of those who hadn't yet voted?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ditchparrot19

Although the winners won't be announced for more than a month, ballots for all of those awards have to be submitted today.

Well, there you go.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by ditchparrot19

Cabrera will win, and you watch, the voting won't be as close as a lot of people think. He was superb down the stretch as the Tigers overtook the White Sox and then kept them at bay, and then there's the whole Triple Crown thing on top of that.

September performance usually matters a lot (I say usually only because Josh Hamilton won in 2010 despite sitting out nearly the whole month). I'm predicting that Cabrera's number of first-place votes will come close to doubling Trout's.

Remember, there are still a lot of baseball beat writers who've been around a good while and don't buy into all the Sabermetric stuff. In their view, the playoff push and the Triple Crown will blow that gibberish away.

Ha! Got this one right, didn't I? I was a bit off in my first-place-vote estimate, though: It was nearly quadruple instead of double.

Miguel Cabrera was named the American League's MVP on Thursday, beating rookie phenom Mike Trout by a much wider margin than most anticipated.

Cabrera, baseball's first Triple Crown winner since 1967, received 22 out of 28 possible first-place votes for the award. The Detroit Tigers slugger batted .330 with 44 home runs and 149 RBIs.

Trout received the other six first-place votes three days after being named the AL Rookie of the Year.

John

Note: This thread is 4180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!