IGNORED

Looking for a new set of clubs, are these good deals

Note:Β This thread is 4145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was looking at a new set of clubs and I've seen what I thought were some good deals out there and wanted some feedback. Most of the better prices that I have come across for some of these clubs have been on Amazon. I've found some good clubs for even less but they weren't what I was looking for. Amazon has the Cleveland TA7 4-PW, DW in gunmetal with uniflex steel for $270 shipped, a full cleveland mashie set with graphite shafts in the hybrids and steel shaft in the irons for $299 shipped, Di11's 4-PW with uniflex steel for $237 shipped, Cobra S3 Max 4-PW, GW with steel shafts for $245 shipped. My favorite though is that you can get the Cleveland CG16's 5-PW for $299 shipped with the Cleveland Actionlite 55 graphite shafts. These seem to be better deals than I can find on the discount golf websites, are these good deals? I'm assuming that they are clearing out stock for upcoming models?

Also found the Cleveland TA7's with Uniflex Graphite shafts for just a hair under $300 shipped. I think it would be a toss up between those and the CG16. The TA7's are a few dollars less expensive but also add a 4i and a GW to the mix.

Not sure if these are prices for new, or used clubs. I'm no expert, but if new, I think you have found some great deals. If used, probably just fair. Once again, I'm not an expert - not even close. But i'd pay 300 bucks for a new set of irons. And I'd consider it for a used set, provided the condition. I bought my irons new, and they cost me about $430 (G15's). Good luck, and hopefully somebody who knows better can help you!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One trick I do is type the product I am looking at into Google, then hit the 'Shopping' search function. It will list out all the different versions of what you are looking at from around the web, and the prices. While certainly not official, you can gauge what the item is going for in general. Also, if you do this, and find your price to be really good, or OK, and you feel like it's a good deal.. pull the trigger!

But also, as I'm sure everyone will recommend if you haven't, you will want to get fitted for your clubs if possible. It would be a shame to buy a new set of clubs, even at a great price.. to find that you aren't comfortable hitting them. I'd go to a golf store, find the clubs you want, and pay for a fitting for them. Then, buy online if the prices are too high at the store.

Or... if you want piece of mind that you are getting custom fit clubs that are genuine, and a warranty, consider buying in person at the store.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but a fitting, and the Google Shopping tool are probably going to be helpful.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I haven't done a in person fitting, but basic recommendations like ping's fit system and such recommends only a slightly longer club (1/4" range) and usually no more than 1 degree up. Generally if I go with a graphite shaft, I think I will be right where I need to be length wise and I can have the lie adjusted down the road if needed. I think the prices are good and I am comfortable with paying these prices for these clubs. I am really drawn to the Cleveland offerings and am trying to decide between the TA7 and the CG16

Originally Posted by Fromthecoast

Thanks. I haven't done a in person fitting, but basic recommendations like ping's fit system and such recommends only a slightly longer club (1/4" range) and usually no more than 1 degree up. Generally if I go with a graphite shaft, I think I will be right where I need to be length wise and I can have the lie adjusted down the road if needed. I think the prices are good and I am comfortable with paying these prices for these clubs. I am really drawn to the Cleveland offerings and am trying to decide between the TA7 and the CG16

No worries. When I measured myself at home using Ping's system online, I came up with myself needing 1/4" longer, but when I went in person, they fit me for 1/2" longer. Β I am 6'2" and my wrist to floor measurement is 34.5, if I recall correctly. I think this puts me right on the border between 1/4" and 1/2" longer based on the Ping system. I seem to do OK with my 1/2" longer clubs, but sometimes I wonder what those 1/4" clubs would be like...(particularly when I hit it FAT and grab an acre of turf on the way through, haha!)

Once again, good luck on club selection! I looked at the TA7 clubs for you, and 299 was the lowest price I saw for new, so that looks good to me. I didn't check the CG16.

• Upvote 1

If you are looking for golf specific websites that have good deals, I'd recommend Rock Bottom Golf, Second Swing, Global Golf, and 3 Balls Golf... you can get some good deals from all of them, especially if you aren't too picky and have to have a certain brand/model.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

I've found lots of great deals. i'm sure the end of the year plays a big factor. It looks like you can get some Burner 2.0's and Diablo Edge's for around $220 or so shipped with graphite shafts for 6 clubs sets. I've really got my eye on the CG16's though. I'm a little worried that I will regret not getting SGI iron's because I am just getting started, but I didn't want to switch clubs later.

CG16 should probably get the ball up better with longer irons than the Burners will.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

CG16 should probably get the ball up better with longer irons than the Burners will.

Hope so. So far I really like the look and feel of the clubs. I hope I don't regret not going with SGI clubs, but these seem to offer a lot of help at least according to the reviews. I didn't care for some of the looks of the SGI clubs. Lots of shine and flash, like I was playing golf with a set of chrome wheels.

I tried out the CG16s at a Golf Expo in January. As in all clubs, getting the right shaft makes a real difference. Dynamic Golds didn't fly very well, but lighter shafts about 98 grams were super!

Plus, club designer Ralph Maltby rates the CG16 as solidly in the Game ImprovementΒ category. Just work on your swing a little, maybe take a lesson to make sure you're setting up properly with the new tools.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Note:Β This thread is 4145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!