IGNORED

My Swing (jbishop15)

jbishop15

Looks good @jbishop15 , just make sure the head doesn't lift too much on these practice drill swings.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bit too far to the right, actually.

But small point there, and the bigger context is… glad to hear you're back at it, and your swing is looking pretty nice. Looking forward to some slow-mo video if you can make it, and some video where you're just hitting a shot without working so hard on something. It can help you confirm, as you would know, whether that's still the priority piece.

I mean right, but I am just a humble idiot.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm going to get some more video in the next few days; my camera is charing as we speak!

Looks good @jbishop15, just make sure the head doesn't lift too much on these practice drill swings.

Oof. Good catch. I didn't even realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

It's about 97 degrees in Georgia today, and as such I am wearing the finest of Nike golf attire.

The two things that really stand out to me are the moving forward of my head in the backswing of the FO, and the super inside/laid off nature of the club shaft in the DTL view. I'm fairly happy with the swing, even if it isn't where it needs to be.

Getting the shaft that inside has allowed me to hit more shallowly, though of course I'm going to try and clean that up a bit.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

That left hand grip is looking weak and palmy and leading to this.

Please check it.

Mike McLoughlin

DTL view. I think this is really close. Need to stop raising up in the backswing and pointing the club shaft for more left.

Skip to 14 seconds to get to the actual swing. Didn't realize that I slowed things down that much.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Edit to that last post: I need to point the club shaft more left at the top.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• 2 weeks later...
Would opening my hips more aggressively on the downswing help with fighting off a hook? When I focused on not raising up in the backswing, the only way I could do that and not hit a hook was to aggressively feel as if my hips wee opening.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
Would opening my hips more aggressively on the downswing help with fighting off a hook? When I focused on not raising up in the backswing, the only way I could do that and not hit a hook was to aggressively feel as if my hips wee opening.

Your hips are plenty open at impact:

Your arms "flee" your body quite a bit though (right image). Keeping your left arm tighter to your chest will help you swing less outward and reduce the hooks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Been working steadily on keeping my head still on the downswing. Finding a consistent feel has been difficult (one feel thats worked well is stretching my left side on the downswing), but I'm making progress. Wanted to do range work today, but my poor state of Georgia is full of ice and snow.

[quote name="jbishop15" url="/t/64954/my-swing-jbishop15/30#post_1027467"] Is this A2? I'm not quite familiar with the system so this is my best approximation. What it feels like to me is that I stand the club up fine on the way back and just can't stop myself from going across the line.[/quote] this so called a2 position looks spot on but when you swing it goes inside(butt of grip points right of target and not down the line like in your photo, from there you can either hit it from inside come over the top.

• 4 weeks later...
[VIDEO] https://youtu.be/EAzcV7Tgg4M [/VIDEO] [VIDEO] https://youtu.be/Aod83YY1I94 [/VIDEO] Practice videos. Working on getting the club pointed more left. Camera crapped out, so I had Frank record these for me.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

[VIDEO] https://youtu.be/dfy6Qjv-ROc [/VIDEO] Before the dog fight this morning. The best it's ever looked, imo. Need to shorten the backswing, keep the left arm straighter, have the club face less shut coming down. But despite all of that, I'm really happy with this.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Before the dog fight this morning. The best it's ever looked, imo.

Need to shorten the backswing, keep the left arm straighter, have the club face less shut coming down.

But despite all of that, I'm really happy with this.

Yeah nice work and agree with the shorter backswing. Let the pivot take you to the top, don't do it with the arms.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah nice work and agree with the shorter backswing. Let the pivot take you to the top, don't do it with the arms.

I don't know if I can trust you right now, Mike. We are, after all, going to be competing against one another in a few months and I wouldn't put it past a Californian to sabotage an East Coast star. :-P

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

My ball striking has been pretty excellent the last few days. The driver has been a little sketchy, but improving. My distances are way out of whack, though. I had 167 to a back pin and hit 9 iron (aiming for the center for the green!) and it airmailed the green by ten yards. I'll have to readjust and keep an eye, make sure I'm not swinging too steep and faking it, so to speak.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Really struggling with the driver, and I don't know what to do. I either pop it up or spray it right. Where as I've gained a lot of distance with my irons (and even fairway woods), the drive has eluded me.

I'm considering just hitting three wood, because I can usually hit it about 275-285, but I feel like I'm leaving a lot on the table with the driver in the bag.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator

Really struggling with the driver, and I don't know what to do. I either pop it up or spray it right. Where as I've gained a lot of distance with my irons (and even fairway woods), the drive has eluded me.

I'm considering just hitting three wood, because I can usually hit it about 275-285, but I feel like I'm leaving a lot on the table with the driver in the bag.

Popups typically indicate a downward AoA. Check your setup. Hips forward, head back a little, ball forward in your stance and teed up rather high.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Popups typically indicate a downward AoA. Check your setup. Hips forward, head back a little, ball forward in your stance and teed up rather high.

See, I thought that too. I already do a lot of those set up positions. I just need to get some video up. I think I'm going to do that now, actually.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Played 18 with the dog fight this morning. Here is a recap of the round:

1st [Par 5, 494 yds]

Popped up driver about 150 yards, into the right rough. Hit four iron, block into a tree, dropped straight down, in total travelled about 120 yards. Hit a nine iron punch, tried to slice it around said tree, hit the tree again, ball landed in front of the green. Chipped up to two feet, made putt, made 5.

2nd [Par 4, 410 yds]

3W pop up, travelled about 180 yards, in left rough. About 220ish to the pen, hit 5 iron, chunked it about 150 yds. Hit wedge to twelve feet, left par putt four feet short. This becomes a theme. Made 5.

3rd [Par 3, 187 yds]

7 iron off the tee, flew the green by about fifteen yards, into back bunker. Hit a good sand shot that ended up about twelve feet. Left it two feet short. Made 4.

4th [Par 4, 405 yards]

Hit four iron off tee, chunked it, ended up about 190 from pin. Hit 7 iron left of green, was aimed poorly about fifteen yards left. Chipped to 8 feet. Left putt two feet short. Made 5.

5th [Par 4, 407 yrds]

dogleg right, hit four iron off tee with about a ten yard fade, over bunkers, left myself about 105 to pin. Stuck it to eight feet with 60 degree wedge. Left put a foot short. Made 4.

6th [Par 3, 148 yards]

gap wedge to 18 feet. Left out four feet short. This would be the last putt I missed super short. Made par putt. Made 3.

7th [Par 4, 407 yards]

about a 250 carry from my tees to top of hill and over bunkers. Hit 5W over hill and bunkers and across cart path, underneath broken branch. Hit four iron to rough. Hit 60 wedge about six feet, as club went right under it. Hit it to fifteen feet. Missed putt, but barely. Made 6.

8th [Par 4, 370 yards today]

6 iron off tee, bad, left me with 207 yards to pin. Hit six iron again, left of green, about 90 feet away. Chipped up to six feet, made putt. Made 4.

9th [Par 4, 375 yards]

hit four iron, missed way way right, into a lake. Provisional a chunk left, in rough. Hit up next to green, chipped to twelve feet, missed putt. Made 6.

10th [Par 4, 441 yards]

hit driver, about 310, but fairway pinches in hard and I was too far right and blocked out. Punched to middle of fairway, hit PW to thirty feet, missed par putt, made bogey putt. Made 5.

11th [Par 3, 151 yards]

wind at back, hit PW, went ten yards long. Putted from off green to two feet, made putt. Made 3.

12th [Par 5, 510 yards]

four iron off tee, had 266 to pin. 5W hits pin high bunker on the fly, about fifteen yards away. Sand shot to twelve feet. Missed putt. Made 5.

13th [Par 4, 325 yards]

popped up 3W, had 145 yards to pin. Chunked, has about 101 yards to pin. Hit to twenty feet, made putt. Made 4.

14th [Par 4, 370 yards]

3W chunk pop up. About 140 yards left, blocked out by trees. Hit about a thirty yard rope hook with PW around tree, lands in front of green, runs off back. Poor chip to twenty feet. Missed putt by inches. Made 5.

15th [Par 4, 420 yards]

4 iron off tee, about 145 to pin. Got stung by a bee right before I hit my approach shot with a punch 9 iron, and chunked it to about 25 feet. Missed putt by inches. Made 4.

16th [Par 4, 360 yards]

4 iron off tee, 137 yards left. Hit half gap, wind behind me picked up, blew it way over. Chipped back over green, chipped to twenty feet, missed putt. Made 6.

17th [Par 3, 148 yards]

PW, bladed badly, about fifty yards over green. Chipped back over green to about thirty feet, chipped poorly to 12 feet, missed putt. Made 5.

18th [Par 5, 542 yards]

bombed a 5W with wind behind me about 342 yards. Hit 6 iron over green, about thirty feet. Missed eagle putt by centimeters. Made birdie putt from three feet. Made 4.

Total: 83

Fairways: 6/14

GIR: 5/18
nGIR: 5/13
tGIR: 10/18

Putts: 30

Chipping was really mediocre. Driver was 100% unreliable. Was very close to a very special round. Won 50 bucks, though!

Hunter Bishop

My Bag