jbishop15

My Swing (jbishop15)

154 posts in this topic

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 83

My typical ball flight is: Push draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push, though overdraws come into the equation a fair amount of the time.


Videos:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

You've got a pretty good thing going there!

The only thing that jumps out at me -- from that DTL view -- is how much your head lowers (and, to a lesser extent, backs away from the golf ball) into impact. That's not in itself a bad thing -- lots of great players do that as they compress down into the ground for power, most notably Tiger. But it can also be an indication of a couple of things that are going to tend to move your swing path too far out to the right, which I think is what's causing your ball flight issues. With the path well to the right, you get the club face just a little too open and you get a straight push. A little too closed and you get an overdraw. A face on video would be very helpful in thinking about it any further.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You said in another thread you were previously working on S&T;, yes?

Notice how closed you are at impact too - with a path that's well to the right, it becomes difficult to play a tight draw. The ball in the video pushed a LOT.

Watch this (and realize that I still turn my shoulders quite a bit - something you'll want to increase).

So here's what I'd do.

1) Increase the turning rates throughout the backswing.

2) Feel like the right elbow is responsible solely for moving the hands UP. You don't want to feel your hands going in at all.

Basically #1 will take care of the inward (hands) and increase your turning, and #2 will increase the upward (hands).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

You said in another thread you were previously working on S&T;, yes?

Notice how closed you are at impact too - with a path that's well to the right, it becomes difficult to play a tight draw. The ball in the video pushed a LOT.

Watch this (and realize that I still turn my shoulders quite a bit - something you'll want to increase).

So here's what I'd do.

1) Increase the turning rates throughout the backswing.

2) Feel like the right elbow is responsible solely for moving the hands UP. You don't want to feel your hands going in at all.

Basically #1 will take care of the inward (hands) and increase your turning, and #2 will increase the upward (hands).

I worked on the closed at impact with my instructor a few hours after I took this video, and what helped me is to push my hips my forward, instead of towards the target. I tend to get (as you can see), REALLY in-to-out, and that's not beneficial.

Also, holy freaking crap am I flat.

Originally Posted by Stretch

You've got a pretty good thing going there!

The only thing that jumps out at me -- from that DTL view -- is how much your head lowers (and, to a lesser extent, backs away from the golf ball) into impact. That's not in itself a bad thing -- lots of great players do that as they compress down into the ground for power, most notably Tiger. But it can also be an indication of a couple of things that are going to tend to move your swing path too far out to the right, which I think is what's causing your ball flight issues. With the path well to the right, you get the club face just a little too open and you get a straight push. A little too closed and you get an overdraw. A face on video would be very helpful in thinking about it any further.

Jesus! I didn't realize that I dropped that much. I don't do it consciously, so that's one less thing I have to worry about. The head pulling back is a bit worrisome, though I've seen a lot of S&T; and centered pivot guys do that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jbishop15

I worked on the closed at impact with my instructor a few hours after I took this video, and what helped me is to push my hips my forward, instead of towards the target. I tend to get (as you can see), REALLY in-to-out, and that's not beneficial.

By "forward", I hope you don't mean towards the ball? Because that's usually a recipe for sending the path even further right.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

By "forward", I hope you don't mean towards the ball? Because that's usually a recipe for sending the path even further right.

Crap, yeah. I meant towards the target. Not away. Whoops.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Better.

Hinge the wrists UP, turn your shoulders. Do nothing else on the backswing. See what that does.

In fact, do a lot of practicing not at full speed. I'd love to see a three-minute clip during which you rehearse several times, stopping to check a few things, and then hit a ball at may be 70% speed TOPS. See some of the later posts in my swing thread for an example of me practicing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been busy with college and work, so I haven't really recorded my swing in a while. Been working hard, though, especially for the last month on keeping the right foot down.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quick Update: Took some video of me working in The Lab (what my parents and I call my old bedroom/new guest room), but the angle was poor. So!

What I've been working on is squeezing the elbows together and keeping my arms from getting too far behind my body. This has helped me with another problem, which is getting underneath the plane on the backswing. It's been slow going; steepening the clubshaft in the backswing is really, really uncomfortable, and I am playing so bad.

One cool thing to note: I've found that trying to squeeze my forearms together helps keep my elbows together better. It's hard as hell but hey, it works.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Erik I had a question : sorry to butt in but maybe this will help the thread starter as well.  For finding the diagonal sweet spot key regarding elbow position.  Do you increase the overall shoulder turn and the rate at which you turn or just inc the overall turn?

Thanks,

Steve

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been hitting a lot of overdraws and blocks lately. Any ideas, upon looking on my swing, on what I should do?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Get the lower back more rounded, feel like the tailbone is tucked under you more.  You're sticking your butt out too much, inhibits your ability to turn.

2. Hinge the wrists up sooner.  Feel like the left thumb is hinging up towards your nose on the takeaway.  Even though the camera angle isn't great, the club is getting too far in, left wrist is still uncocked well into the backswing  and causing some sequencing issues imo  Want you to feel the opposite, like you hinge it early and stop hinging from A3-A4, left arm parallel to the ground to the top of the backswing.

Good sequence for you to practice.  Take it to A3 with the left arm and clubshaft at about 90* with about a 90* turn.  Then continue to turn and stretch not adding much hinge.  Then hit it.  Do the drill for five balls, then make five swings at about 80% speed, then do the drill again for another 5 balls.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty smooth dawg, but I'd try to reach back straighter with the club. Keeping the left arm straight.. y'know. You can put a tee directly behind the ball, about 2 or 3 feet behind the ball and reach back until you hit it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Get the lower back more rounded, feel like the tailbone is tucked under you more.  You're sticking your butt out too much, inhibits your ability to turn.

2. Hinge the wrists up sooner.  Feel like the left thumb is hinging up towards your nose on the takeaway.  Even though the camera angle isn't great, the club is getting too far in, left wrist is still uncocked well into the backswing  and causing some sequencing issues imo  Want you to feel the opposite, like you hinge it early and stop hinging from A3-A4, left arm parallel to the ground to the top of the backswing.

Good sequence for you to practice.  Take it to A3 with the left arm and clubshaft at about 90* with about a 90* turn.  Then continue to turn and stretch not adding much hinge.  Then hit it.  Do the drill for five balls, then make five swings at about 80% speed, then do the drill again for another 5 balls.

This guy too. He helped me with my swing a lot, great advice right here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now