Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RayG

My Swing (RayG)

14 posts in this topic

I've been Playing Golf for: 40yrs (about)

My current handicap index or average score is: 83/85

My typical ball flight is: HIGH

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Lower the trajectory a bit AND lose those pull hooks and push slices

Video is 'decent' quality from an HD(720) camera on a smart phone (Blackberry 9810). It was a spur of the moment opportunity, so I took advantage. I will add that for each swing shown, the ball flight, direction and distance were almost identical. I was also hitting into a 20-25mph wind. It is a self taught swing with little or no professional help, other than picking up a few tidbits from mags and Nicklaus books from the 70's

Videos:

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Oh, and another thing- they all went where I was aiming within a few yards

I'd work on just a few things for now.

1. Understanding how to stretch/bend to achieve the somewhat centered shoulder turn you've managed to make. You'll be able to see the ball better, turn your shoulders farther, and be set up for a more powerful downswing if you get more slant to the hips and shoulders.
  2. Got some weirdness going on with your grip. Post a close-up video of your grip so we can see it better if you're able to.

Beyond that, see the notes in the sticky thread about filming your swing - the angles matter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just noticed that about my grip. It appears that I move my thumb from a "down the shaft" position to a baseball grip somewhere in the takeaway. Have to keep an eye on that one. Other than that, I DO use a fairly strong right hand, so it looks funky up there, I guess. And about the angles- Like I said, I had an opportunity to have someone use my smartphone with an HD Video camera to capture my swing. I did know to have them take all 3 angles as best they could. Then a quick edit in Moviemaker. Maybe in a few weeks, I can a get a better setup to do a more complete capture.

Originally Posted by RayG

I just noticed that about my grip. It appears that I move my thumb from a "down the shaft" position to a baseball grip somewhere in the takeaway. Have to keep an eye on that one. Other than that, I DO use a fairly strong right hand, so it looks funky up there, I guess.

And about the angles- Like I said, I had an opportunity to have someone use my smartphone with an HD Video camera to capture my swing. I did know to have them take all 3 angles as best they could. Then a quick edit in Moviemaker. Maybe in a few weeks, I can a get a better setup to do a more complete capture.

Also you really only need FO and DTL, you should not need video at your back for the purposes here.  Nice tempo, your swing does seem rather under powered though. What Erik is saying would be a big help to you.

The power thing is a result of trying to control the swing better instead of trying to swing "for the fences" every time, as it were. In a round at World Woods a day or so later, carry distance with a Callaway Hex Chrome was 240/250... not bad I guess, but part of the problem is almost no roll on the other end- maybe 10-15 yds most times. That's how HIGH my ball flight has become over the years. Currently using: Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 9.5 loft Project X Octane Shaft- 45.5" Maybe that little extra turn (with control) might get me a bit more yards... I appreciate the input folks- keep it coming...

The power thing is a result of trying to control the swing better instead of trying to swing "for the fences" every time, as it were. .

Some of it is that, but what those two pictures Erik attached show is that you can add some back in with the same controlled swing.  Your shoulder pitch and turn are taking away a lot of unused power.  You can get more power out of the same effort, making sense?

Am I reading that perhaps the plane is too flat along with a minimal turn? I'd rather not go too past horizontal on the backswing, if only for psychological reasons- too far means less control at the other end. Maybe keep the controlled backswing but unleashing the coil a bit faster would had those yards back?

Am I reading that perhaps the plane is too flat along with a minimal turn? I'd rather not go too past horizontal on the backswing, if only for psychological reasons- too far means less control at the other end. Maybe keep the controlled backswing but unleashing the coil a bit faster would had those yards back?

I would turn 90 degrees to the target though in the back swing.  It is not much more than you are.

Looks like a project for the range on Saturday.... Along with that thumb thing. I did start working on a bit more hip rotation over the winter, but didn't feel comfortable using it the first "real" round at WW last week (first round in nearly 3 months and shot an 84). That, I suppose would help in getting more shoulder turn. Enough range hours working with the hips and it will feel better when the NE season hits in a few weeks here in NY. thanks again for the critiques...

Just took another look at my swing and noticed one other thing that seemed to be robbing me of some "drive". While at the range this AM working with the new R11s, I realized something- I had almost NO weight transfer. I felt like I was keeping my weight centered through out the whole swing. I was basically swinging around my CG, instead of using it to my advantage to create more of a turn and generate more clubhead speed. It took awhile to figure the amount and technique to keep it from becoming a "sway", but it soon came back to me the way I USED to swing and gave me a yardage jump AND helped get my draw back. Over the years I had developed a swing that was NOT swinging for the fences so I could keep my drives INSIDE the fences. Suppose I got complacent and just fell into that rut. Getting that shift back really felt like it used to and I was happy to get it back... hopefully for good.

Your hip shift is more like a gradual sway. That is where I believe a lot of power is being left on the table. The shift occurs throughout your return swing. I feel like the shift should start more abruptly and stabilize giving way to the shoulder turn. Plus I just noticed your weight shift begins before your back swing ends. I would take your back swing and stop at the top then do your weight shift while starting your return swing.

That was another thing I saw as well. While I was swinging AROUND my CG on the back swing, I was shifting on the downswing. My nasty miss is usually a snap hook- if I shift too soon, I try and make up for it with my hands and get the club through too quick and ZING- pull snap... Working on the gradual shift back and forth made a big difference and the misses were a bit of a fade instead. There was not one snap hook at the range after making the change. And yes, I DO try and get my weight shift started forward *just* before the top of the back swing- something I picked up several years ago to get more "coil" and get the hips cleared at impact. thanks for the further input folks...

Latest update- The snap hooks seemed to have disappeared. Really worked on weight shift and transfer the last two range visits. It has freed up some energy and gained a few yards in the process. I'll try and post up some new clips as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for all the input.