IGNORED

Lessons vs Club Fitting

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you have a stable swing, a fitting can help. Not a great swing, but a stable one where similar things happen form day to day. If your swing is unstable, average off-the-rack clubs will probably do it.

At the very least, get a static fitting: This considers things such as flex and length of shaft, lie angle (fairly consistent for most golfers), and grip thickness. A static fitting helps you find clubs that won't hurt your game. Static normally will do the trick for beginners.

If you have never had a fitting, and have a fairly stable swing, you can learn about your swing from a fitting. A fitting will show you what "shaft range" will work for you. The Maltby MPF Shaft Selection tool can give you an idea of which shafts to try. http://www.ralphmaltby.com/265

The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer can pick up certain aspects of your swing. One aspect is tempo - how quick or smooth you are in your transition from "the top" to downswing - can influence the types of shafts that work best for you.

The fitting tools get you into the right "neighborhood." From there, you pick the house (or clubhead-shaft combo) which you like best.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think club fitting tends to be over-rated.

I'm glad YOU said that.  Just about anyone else would have been burned at the stake, with many cheering in the gallery.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

• Administrator

I'm glad YOU said that.  Just about anyone else would have been burned at the stake, with many cheering in the gallery.

I dunno. I didn't say it wasn't "important" - just that it tended to be over-rated.

I could play "good" golf with my wife's set of clubs. I can't necessarily play great golf with them, though.

Know what I mean?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My wife bought a complete fitting for me last Christmas at Carl's Golfland in Michigan.  After spending the $$ on the fittings, the pro suggested that instead of buying new clubs, the lessons would benefit me more until I had a repeatable swing.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I dunno. I didn't say it wasn't "important" - just that it tended to be over-rated.

I could play "good" golf with my wife's set of clubs. I can't necessarily play great golf with them, though.

Know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree with the 4th point you made in the post I quoted from.  It means more if you're a lower handicap and I assume, since you call yourself a pro, you're handicap is pretty low.  I, on the other hand, could probably shoot pretty much my normal score with your wife's clubs.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Thank you again for all the info.

I have decided nothing is going significantly improve my distance, therefore I am going to focus on lessons to improve my short game.

Thank you again.

Skidaway

Thank you again for all the info. I have decided nothing is going significantly improve my distance, therefore I am going to focus on lessons to improve my short game. Thank you again. Skidaway

More distance hu? Hit the gym outside season and stretch and stretch and stretch. And in season just stretch and stretch and stretch :)

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!