IGNORED

Tracking Round Statistics

UGolfStats
Note: This thread is 3336 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The key distances we need to track are putts. In "feet," not yards.

You are absolutely right, this was a bug and it has been fixed, whenever you have a putter in your hands it now tracks "feet".

I'll also echo Dan's idea on data entry. The easier that apps try to make it, the clumsier it can be. Ironic, but true. Give me a big sheet of data entry any time. I think if we had the ability to edit a large grid of our data AFTER the round, that would be perfect. We can try to get what we can on the course, but let us play and not be data nerds while playing. Within a day or two, we can usually recall each shot and enter the data in one shot through a simple grid that shows us all the info at once on something like an enhanced scorecard. For each hole, just give us the ability to add/delete/edit shots that we may or may not have entered while on the course.

We'll keep playing with the app data entry to try and make it better. We will also have a "printable enhanced" scorecard that will allow you to do everything "offline". I'll post a sample of that card when available.

One cool thing that I've seen hints of on other apps, but nothing done very well, is the ability to compare our data against the 'field."  For example:

For my course, what are the average scores? Hardest holes? Toughest greens to 2-putt?

For others near our handicap worldwide, what is the average FIR? GIR? How far do they drive?

For me to get 2 strokes better on my handicap, what should my recovery percentage be? How much do I need to improve on my 6 footers to be at that level?

For my courses, are there others who might be opting into to social meetups or leagues/tournaments?  I haven't seen the social aspect explored too much, although there is a vendor here who is pursuing that.  Foursum, I believe.

I won't pretend that our app will do everything. There are some things that we'll do in terms of "comparing" the field, we need to have enough data to make it meaningful, we're not there yet. We also do have plans for a "social" aspect of the product, you can see hints of this in the prominent "Leaderboards" section (which is not opened yet) and the ability to add public/private notes, etc.

Feel free to send over any suggestions you guys think would be cool to add.

Thanks again,

Daniel

just signed up, lefty here and you have my home course info which is good...will report back after I play a round.  Ive been actually looking into sites that do this (preferably free) and asked around for different recommendations.  I use a rangefinder and have been up to this point a leisure player but I want to start going out weekly/practicing daily and keeping track of my improvement.  so up to now this week ive downloaded golflogix,tour caddie and the grint (the grint being for handicap tracking)

I do agree with that you can't be all things to all people and I for one prefer not to have to deal with a gps as i already have the rangefinder and the whole other argument of consumer gps +/- variance we won't get into here...but a solid site for shot tracking a long with I guess whichever site I stay with for handicap tracking plus my range finder I should be set on the three different fronts.

We'll keep playing with the app data entry to try and make it better. We will also have a "printable enhanced" scorecard that will allow you to do everything "offline". I'll post a sample of that card when available.

if you're going to make an offline sheet available, please have an easy to use upload format/capability. I know I'd rather right down my info as I play and enter it later, and a good template would certainly help with this...THANK YOU!

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll also echo Dan's idea on data entry. The easier that apps try to make it, the clumsier it can be. Ironic, but true. Give me a big sheet of data entry any time. I think if we had the ability to edit a large grid of our data AFTER the round, that would be perfect. We can try to get what we can on the course, but let us play and not be data nerds while playing. Within a day or two, we can usually recall each shot and enter the data in one shot through a simple grid that shows us all the info at once on something like an enhanced scorecard. For each hole, just give us the ability to add/delete/edit shots that we may or may not have entered while on the course.

I definitely agree with wanting the ability to edit each shot after the round, and that there should be at least an option to have it presented as a big grid, one column per shot, maybe a blank column between holes, or alternating white background light gray background or something, one row per piece of info collected.

I disagree with emphasizing that as a primary data entry method.  Sure, on the app it would be nice for guys like you to allow you to press a button to skip entering rest of hole or whatever and still save an incomplete round at the end to complete later.  But my memory for shot by shot recall of an entire round is very poor, and I'm never going to be able to keep these stats unless the app is made slick enough, and fast enough to use, to allow entry of each shot on the walk to the next hole, or maybe enter the tee shot while walking to it, approach while walking to it, greenside stuff whilel walking to next tee.

One easy thing that seems like a pretty big deal.  You guys seem not to have collected comprehensive course data and are relying on user entry.  Seems a fine tradeoff for a (currently) free app and the free guarantee for those of us who contribute to building up the database and whatnot.

But... Let users edit already entered courses!  It's a huge pain in the ass to have a course show up but with incorrect info.  I only saw the ability to add a new tee, so completely re-enter info and give it an alternate name ("Blue - Correct" or whatever).

Also, I'm not sure why you don't require slope/rating.   With all the deep stats you guys are going to keep, it'd be easy to track handicap as well.  I have an official one, but it's nice to have all stat info at one place, and have up to the minute handicap info.  That would also allow a simple future feature for the app of calculating course handicap for you given your site calculated (not given, thus guaranteed to be current) handicap and the course info.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Just signed up will give it a whirl once the snow goes away. :-(

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

One easy thing that seems like a pretty big deal.  You guys seem not to have collected comprehensive course data and are relying on user entry.  Seems a fine tradeoff for a (currently) free app and the free guarantee for those of us who contribute to building up the database and whatnot.

But... Let users edit already entered courses!  It's a huge pain in the ass to have a course show up but with incorrect info.  I only saw the ability to add a new tee, so completely re-enter info and give it an alternate name ("Blue - Correct" or whatever).

Honestly we have purchased the largest databases we could find and currently have over 30,000 courses. Not a short list. It is possible some data is missing and we will do our best to correct it. Your idea to allow for course editing is good, we'll add that option. Thanks.

Also, I'm not sure why you don't require slope/rating.   With all the deep stats you guys are going to keep, it'd be easy to track handicap as well.  I have an official one, but it's nice to have all stat info at one place, and have up to the minute handicap info.  That would also allow a simple future feature for the app of calculating course handicap for you given your site calculated (not given, thus guaranteed to be current) handicap and the course info.

The original idea was exactly that, to have slope and rating for all tees and to be able to automatically calculate handicaps, the problem is that we do not have that information for many courses, that's why we opted for the manual entry. We'll check out the option to have it both ways. Thanks again.

• Administrator

The original idea was exactly that, to have slope and rating for all tees and to be able to automatically calculate handicaps, the problem is that we do not have that information for many courses, that's why we opted for the manual entry. We'll check out the option to have it both ways. Thanks again.

https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll surely check this out.  I'm big stats guy when it comes to golf - Love stuff like this and was going to build a system for my own stats, fairways, greens, putts (distance included), misses (left, right, long, short) - It really shouldn't be hard, it's a matter of entering course data and setting the format....  but you might have done all that for me

...  Just got back from Myrtle and built a database for our group that will keep points totals, group averages on holes and courses, individual & group averages for par 3's, 4's, 5's etc.  It's got player profiles for all players that will have their daily points totals, scoring averages, money earned* (monopoly money of course).  Want to know what hole played the hardest on our trip?  Got it covered (14 at Heritage was beast! the group averaged a 6.4 on the par 4!).  Below is a screenshot (names changed of course) of the player profile page that will populate the data automatically.  If you were to scroll right it has it broken down by points & has the daily averages and flightings.  You can also scroll down and see the group averages at the bottom of the page.  It makes it easy to flight players based on actual scores during the trip, helps calculate the Callaway system automatically, tallies points based on 1-bogey, 2 par etc...  All I do is put in the player names, who's paid their monopoly money, and what everyone shoots off their scorecard and the data is there.  It's really only limited to what data is provided.    - And yes 12-14 kicked my a$$ at heritage (triple, double, triple - 87) lol   -it doesn't however have any data for the 19th hole, that's confidential lol

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

• 2 months later...

Hi, apologies for slight resuscitation of an old thread, but I've signed up for this 'app' recently and love the in depth statistics.

Do you have an update on the printable scorecard to take around since I don't have a phone signal at my local course. Also is there any timeline updates on a likely delivery of the actual android/iphone app rather than website link.

Gathering statistics for my round has become a bit of a bugbear for me, the apps are either too expensive and/or don't hold much information. Seems to be a proliferation of various apps that do 60% of what I am after and not one that does 100%. This is much nearer my final idea but in very firm beta stage at the moment.

Hi, My name is Matt.

Thanks for checking in. The printed scorecard so that you can enter the stats offline should be available within 1 or 2 weeks, I'll post a note on this thread when it is ready. The actual apps will take a little longer, apparently more people than initially anticipated are interested in "offline" tracking, so we are spending a bit more time on that.

• 9 months later...

Used this for the first time today and am looking forward to using it this season.  I like the way the data is input and it generates a ton of great info.  Looking forward to the iPhone app as that may be a little easier than the web-based version.  My only critique is that it would be nice to go back and edit a hole before you submit everything... otherwise, really love it so far.  I knew my ball striking was pretty good and my short game wasn't great today but going back an looking at the stats makes it much more concrete and gives me specific things to work on... love the data!

I hope the Royals win the pennant.

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

Help me out here, I've visited every page on the site and can't figure out how to enter details from a round of golf? How do I enter my scores?

Took me forever to figure it out too. It turns out (I think) that you have to open the website on the Internet browser on your phone/iPad and enter the scores on it. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this but that was the only way I could get it to work.

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

Note: This thread is 3336 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!