IGNORED

Very quick, easy question.

Kellfire
Note: This thread is 6068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to start recording all my fairways, GIR, putts etc and was wondering does the second shot on a par five count in the fairways hit stat?
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

No, just your drives on Par 4's & Par 5's. It's a good idea to do what your doing. It will show you where you need to work on your game. You might also want to keep track of where you miss fairways and greens, as far as right or left, short or long.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Yep, I think I will. I download one basic score card to record these stats but it is maybe too basic.

Does anyone have a blank score template I could use?
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Just made my own in Word. I'm more skilled than I thought. :)
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*

It will definitely help you identify your weaknesses whether it be a pull or hook to the left or a push, slice to the right( If you're a righty ) :)
play4him

Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I've been doing this for a while now. It's very useful.

I do have a quick question in the same area though. There's a short ( about 255 yards ) par 4 at my home course. When I drive the green does that count as a fairway hit and a GIR or just a GIR?

It counts as both.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Yep, I think I will. I download one basic score card to record these stats but it is maybe too basic.

http://www.ping.com/pdfs/performancescoresheet.pdf Here is one from Ping....it is a good idea, but maybe a little too time consuming. I haven't made it through a round using this.
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

I just use a single scorecard for myself.
In Fairways, I put a check if I hit the fairway or a L or R if I miss Left or Right.
In GIR, I put a check for a hit or an X for a miss.
Putts are putts.
I aso track Up and down opportunities (checks or x's - u/ or u/x), sand save opportunities (s/ or s/x), and penalty strokes taken.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I've said this before in another thread. Counting putts alone isn't valuable; You need to count putts and chips combined. You goal should be 36 putts and chips combined (or less) on a par 72 course.

For example, recording 31 putts in a round doesn't tell you much. Especially if you have 31 putts but 14 chips. A total of 45 strokes, or 9 over par just on the greens.

Therefore, I think tracking Fairways, Greens, Chips and Putts is the way to go.

FYI, I consider a chip anything around the green (say 15-30 yards)

Ken
http://labs.live.com/photosynth

Driver: R7 425 9.5 ProLaunch Blue R65
3W: Raylor Burner RegIrons: R7 TP 3-PW ProjectX 6.0GW: 52/8 Vokey Oil CanSW: 56/14 Vokey Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: 330 PutterBag: Grom

I use the scorecard to keep track of stats. Top row is score for the hole. Bottom row is number of putts on the hole. In the middle rows I keep Fairways (F), Greens in Regulation (G), Up and Down (UD), penalty shots (PS) with a 1 if it something like a water hazard where I can move up to the location of the penalty or 2 if it something like an OB ball since that is a stroke and distance penalty. Than after the round the numbers go into various spreadsheets I have made where I keep track of the averages per round, GIR putts, non GIR putts, handicap, etc. Other things I also average are the yardages, course/slope ratings of the courses.

That Ping scoresheet looks like a bit of work. I am also looking for an easy way to track stats. Great point on the Putts / Chips Kperkins.

Also I have to estimate my Handicap because I don't belong to a club. Is there any free / easy software that I can upload my scores to create my own handicap more accurately?

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I use Yahoo....search for Golf.

I tried to find a link...but it has all of my info on it.

Search on Yahoo for Golf Handicap.

Hope this helps.
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

I use to use a scorecard as well. I agree with kperkins about the chipping & putting. You're going to save more strokes around the green then anywhere. When I started shooting in the 70's, I didn't all of a sudden start hitting 16 greens in regulation. I became an excellent chipper & putter. I worked really hard at my touch.
play4him

After talking about counting putts and chips, I thought I'd analyze my own game of golf.

I played at an average course yesterday, 6000 yards, par 72.

I shot an 89, my second best round ever. I had 52 putts and chips combined.

Do the math: I was 1 stroke over par on balls off the tee and in the fairway. I was 16 strokes over par around the greens. That's where I need to practice. If I just counted the putts, it wouldn't give me enough information to accuratley tell where I need to practice. In fact, I only had 1 three putt the whole day.

Just goes to show that putts alone doesn't help you identify what's going on.

Ken

3W: Raylor Burner RegIrons: R7 TP 3-PW ProjectX 6.0GW: 52/8 Vokey Oil CanSW: 56/14 Vokey Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: 330 PutterBag: Grom

After talking about counting putts and chips, I thought I'd analyze my own game of golf.

Sounds like a typical bogey round of golf: around the green in regulation, 1 chip, and 2 puts.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

I hit 6 out of 14 today, if anyone cares. Oh dear. :)
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*

Sounds like a typical bogey round of golf: around the green in regulation, 1 chip, and 2 puts.

So then, how do you get from a bogey golfer to one who cracks 80 occaisonally? Is it by getting on the green in reg more often? or by getting up and down more? Where should I practice?

Ken

Note: This thread is 6068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!