IGNORED

Pete's Programme (Single Digit to Tour Player)

Nosevi
Note: This thread is 2899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, heard back from a mate who played in my Club Championship over the last 2 days. A few of the top players had a nightmare and one of the guys a little lower down snatched it even though the conditions were fine. The winning score was exactly 10 shots per round over my scoring average on my home course ie 20 shots off what I would normally shoot for the 2 rounds. I would have expected to win but that is way off what I thought I'd have to beat. I'm sticking my neck out here and saying there's zero chance I wouldn't have won it if I had been in it regardless of a twisted knee. To give that rather bold statement substance, since starting my programme 10 months ago I have not yet shot that high on any round, in fact not close. I've actually shot lower teeing off every tee with a pitching wedge (kid you not, was against a mate who's not really a golfer and wanted the chance of winning. He lost....)

So here's a question - right decision or wrong decision not to play?

If I had played I would be my club champion this evening and would have ticked that goal off a year early, zero doubt. But I may (and probably would at least slightly) have aggravated my knee.injury which would have set me back. Or did I make the right call, look at the big picture, and sit it out knowing I'll be back swinging a club in maybe 2 weeks not 5 or 6?

Honestly don't know the answer but this evening I'm a little 'miffed' that I didn't just strap it up, hobble round, win the club championship, then take a month off. It's not a rational conclusion - I'm trying to do something a little bigger than become my club champion but kind of how I feel right now.

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, heard back from a mate who played in my Club Championship over the last 2 days. A few of the top players had a nightmare and one of the guys a little lower down snatched it even though the conditions were fine. The winning score was exactly 10 shots per round over my scoring average on my home course ie 20 shots off what I would normally shoot for the 2 rounds. I would have expected to win but that is way off what I thought I'd have to beat. I'm sticking my neck out here and saying there's zero chance I wouldn't have won it if I had been in it regardless of a twisted knee. To give that rather bold statement substance, since starting my programme 10 months ago I have not yet shot that high on any round, in fact not close. I've actually shot lower teeing off every tee with a pitching wedge (kid you not, was against a mate who's not really a golfer and wanted the chance of winning. He lost....)

So here's a question - right decision or wrong decision not to play?

If I had played I would be my club champion this evening and would have ticked that goal off a year early, zero doubt. But I may (and probably would at least slightly) have aggravated my knee.injury which would have set me back. Or did I make the right call, look at the big picture, and sit it out knowing I'll be back swinging a club in maybe 2 weeks not 5 or 6?

Honestly don't know the answer but this evening I'm a little 'miffed' that I didn't just strap it up, hobble round, win the club championship, then take a month off. It's not a rational conclusion - I'm trying to do something a little bigger than become my club champion but kind of how I feel right now.

You made the right choice. As much as it would have been a boost to the ego to win it apart from that it wouldn't have done much else. The downside would have been much greater.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

You made the right choice. As much as it would have been a boost to the ego to win it apart from that it wouldn't have done much else. The downside would have been much greater.

I know logically you're right - year one was all about progressing and just starting to compete - entering competitions. Year two is all about actually placing highly in them.

But my progress has been faster than I thought it would be to this point and making the 1st team (my stated goal for year one) has become being in the number one slot on it, competing in the club champs has become legitimately expecting to win it, same goes for the club matchplay knock out championship both of which I had to bail from this week.

I've lost nothing by dropping out, pressing on could have set me back, so from that perspective it has to be the right call - big picture and all that. But I just can't envisage how I could have failed to win it. It's possibly that I could have shot 20 over my average and 10 shots over the worst I can remember ever shooting in 2 consecutive rounds in almost the last year but highly unlikely.

I guess it would have given me something to be able to say to myself - "Right, you've achieved that this year. The work you've put in has achieved something tangible."

Never mind, hey. Deep breath, get this knee sorted and press on :-)

Pete Iveson

10 shots a round? What did the club champion shoot?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

10 shots a round?

What did the club champion shoot?

My scoring average for the last couple of months is about 1.5 over par on my home course, the winning score was 23 over for the 2 rounds. That's not a typo. Anyone capable too shooting a lowish round bombed utterly at least once.

It's possible to shoot really big scores on that particular course:

1st has OOB down the left side of the fairway and you go into the green over a tree lined, water filled ditch.

2nd has OOB down the left side (you go over it if you cut the corner), you tee off over a couple of ponds and a water filled ditch is in play if you don't go over the OOB

3rd is a par 3 with OOB tight down the left side to a green sloping away from you protected by a deep bunker in front and with a fall away at the back of the green into trees. Deep rough just off the right side of the green, in there and you're firing back at the green with OOB right behind it.

This is the 4th tee and you're shooting for that gap (in the winter so a bit muddy. Mats only used in winter):

White marks the OOB. Hit the tree right of the gap and you're dead, left of the gap and you're OOB. A fade will be in the trees and heavy rough right of the fairway, into that red circle and you're playing backwards for your second shot - those are really high trees and that's a water filled ditch. It's a par 5 and if you want to go for the green in 2 you have to be at the end of that first black line or a totally blind shot over all the OOB and over the ditch to the fairway beyond with a carry of about 275-280 yards minimum but some guys go for it.

The rest of the course is similar, one hole the OOB is off both the left and right of the fairway. My instructor once referred to the course as 'Disney Land' - it's so 'ticked up'.

If you go for it you can rack up a really big score really fast......... So I don't go for it, I play smart golf and play for the spaces, just take all the ditches and OOB and  things in the way out of play. You risk the odd bogey but you take out the quadruple bogies I've seen some of the young lads shoot when they try to attack the course.

All I can think of is everyone went for it and the course ate them alive. That's not how to play that course, I've shot 4 under just playing 'fairways and greens' golf and not going for a single high tariff shot. Smart golf will win on that course, 'flashy' golf will get you into trouble every time.

Pete Iveson

Have to say the winning score is normally more like 5 or 6 over for the 2 rounds. I'd still expect to win on that score but I could easily have a bad day and not do. But 23 over just says to me that everyone somehow lost all common sense and tried to shoot low and that just doesn't work there. One 6 handicapper shot 32 over ?!?! No idea how, will talk to him later in the week. Anyway, you could argue that with everyone else shooting daft scores winning it would have been a somewhat empty victory, just would have ticked off that particular goal early. As soon as the leg is better I'll play a couple of rounds in the same conditions (not hard, was prevailing winds of between 10-15 mph and fair weater) with the guy I would have been paired with on the day (I play with him in the club team) just as a personal check. I'll bet anything anyone on here wants to bet that I don't shoot 23 over.

Pete Iveson

Have to say the winning score is normally more like 5 or 6 over for the 2 rounds. I'd still expect to win on that score but I could easily have a bad day and not do. But 23 over just says to me that everyone somehow lost all common sense and tried to shoot low and that just doesn't work there. One 6 handicapper shot 32 over ?!?! No idea how, will talk to him later in the week.

Anyway, you could argue that with everyone else shooting daft scores winning it would have been a somewhat empty victory, just would have ticked off that particular goal early. As soon as the leg is better I'll play a couple of rounds in the same conditions (not hard, was prevailing winds of between 10-15 mph and fair weater) with the guy I would have been paired with on the day (I play with him in the club team) just as a personal check. I'll bet anything anyone on here wants to bet that I don't shoot 23 over.

You still made the right call - annoying though it might be... At the rate you're progressing, the Club Champs will be yours next year anyway.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Have to say the winning score is normally more like 5 or 6 over for the 2 rounds. I'd still expect to win on that score but I could easily have a bad day and not do. But 23 over just says to me that everyone somehow lost all common sense and tried to shoot low and that just doesn't work there. One 6 handicapper shot 32 over ?!?! No idea how, will talk to him later in the week.

Anyway, you could argue that with everyone else shooting daft scores winning it would have been a somewhat empty victory, just would have ticked off that particular goal early. As soon as the leg is better I'll play a couple of rounds in the same conditions (not hard, was prevailing winds of between 10-15 mph and fair weater) with the guy I would have been paired with on the day (I play with him in the club team) just as a personal check. I'll bet anything anyone on here wants to bet that I don't shoot 23 over.

You still made the right call - annoying though it might be... At the rate you're progressing, the Club Champs will be yours next year anyway.

Agreed that @Nosevi ll.  Any prolonged injury can set things back quite a bit.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Out here it's rather the same with club championships. We've got a number off low cappers i mean 2-3 cappers.

They somehow all shoot scores high in the 70 ( i play a par 70 course ) we play a 3 round tournament and always

winning score is always about 15 over par. I guess it's the nerves a bit. Only ones i saw a under par round, it was a young

bloke 14 years old he shot a 69. but also had a 81.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

[QUOTE name="b101" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/162#post_1168078"]   [QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/162#post_1168075"] Have to say the winning score is normally more like 5 or 6 over for the 2 rounds. I'd still expect to win on that score but I could easily have a bad day and not do. But 23 over just says to me that everyone somehow lost all common sense and tried to shoot low and that just doesn't work there. One 6 handicapper shot 32 over ?!?! No idea how, will talk to him later in the week. Anyway, you could argue that with everyone else shooting daft scores winning it would have been a somewhat empty victory, just would have ticked off that particular goal early. As soon as the leg is better I'll play a couple of rounds in the same conditions (not hard, was prevailing winds of between 10-15 mph and fair weater) with the guy I would have been paired with on the day (I play with him in the club team) just as a personal check. I'll bet anything anyone on here wants to bet that I don't shoot 23 over.[/QUOTE] You still made the right call - annoying though it might be... At the rate you're progressing, the Club Champs will be yours next year anyway. [/QUOTE] Agreed that @Nosevi made a right call.  Any prolonged injury can set things back quite a bit.

Guys, of course you are right and there's zero point in dwelling on what would have happened had I not been 'out' with a short term injurry. Me grumping about missing one tournament beats me coming on and saying my summer is over because I was daft. Right, that's it, a week of short game (probably a blessing in disguise as I really need to work on my game around the green) and I'm guessing I'll be back at it :-)

Pete Iveson

In hind sight you should have played but who knew that the winning score would be so high? If the winning score was even par would you feel the same way? Probably not right. I know that feeling though Pete, it sucks sitting on the sidelines as the win would have been a nice little confidence boost.

In hind sight you should have played but who knew that the winning score would be so high? If the winning score was even par would you feel the same way? Probably not right. I know that feeling though Pete, it sucks sitting on the sidelines as the win would have been a nice little confidence boost.

Honest answer - nope, I wouldn't have felt the same. Couple of my better rounds and I'd have a shot at it but who knows, score as it was I do know. But big picture, grand scheme of things, it makes no difference and was never a target for this year. I'll file it under "would have been nice" and move on :-)

Pete Iveson

Well I'm back hitting full shots again, will take it steady for a few days just to make sure the knee is fine. With my foot turned out a bit, although it'll take some getting used to it does take the pressure off my left knee quite substantially.

Although I won't often do vids, I know there's some interest in what I'm doing and I appreciate the support from guys who are following so thought I'd just post a very quick one in the swing studio getting used to the new set up. Sorry for the quality - being utterly dull I used the front camera on my iphone (again) which (still) isn't HD and the lower light levels in there compared to outside don't help, sorry. Hopefully you get an idea though and can see the traces of the shots up on the screen. I'll post a screenshot at the bottom so you get an idea of where the shots were.

Any comments on the swing are welcome. My swing isn't exactly text book but does kind of work for me so I probably won't embark on a total rebuild even if guys do have some useful suggestions. I'm sure there are things I can do far better but I'm 10 months into what will be a minimum of a 4 year programme so I've got a long way to go.

Hope you enjoy the vid and get an idea for where my long game currently is. Work still to do but I have been making progress.

A screenshot to show the traces. When I'm talking about "hanging shots out to the right" I'm really only talking 3 or so yards. As I've progressed what I've deemed a good shot has become tighter and tighter. Its a little lost off the left side of the picture but if you look on the mini-map on the left the little white circle on the green near the top shows the dispersion of all the shots I hit.

• Upvote 2

Pete Iveson

Hey Pete, solid swing for sure. One little thing I am working on that has helped me is to get my left wrist flat (or more bend in the right) at the top of the swing, it helps keep the club on plane and less adjustment needed in down swing. You and I have a similar tendency. All that said you are 10X the golfer I am, it's just something I notice as I'm working on it with my coach. Glad to hear you are healing up!

Hey Pete, solid swing for sure. One little thing I am working on that has helped me is to get my left wrist flat (or more bend in the right) at the top of the swing, it helps keep the club on plane and less adjustment needed in down swing. You and I have a similar tendency. All that said you are 10X the golfer I am, it's just something I notice as I'm working on it with my coach. Glad to hear you are healing up!

Thanks mate. I'm sure 10x is a tiny bit of an exaggeration. It's true that my golf has come on a tad and my handicap is a bit out of date now though. It helps to be playing and practising all day and I've got a lot of things in my programme that help me along. All the planning and putting things in place at the beginning is really paying off.

Regarding the left wrist, it's something I'm aware of as I video my swing most days in the swing studio. When I flatten my left wrist I obviously pick up extra yards and the ball flies a little lower. The snag is right now the ball goes pretty straight so if I flatten my left wrist (which obviously closes the club face) I'll have to do something else in my swing to stop the ball going left. Generally speaking people are told to flatten their left wrist to stop them slicing the ball off to the right. That's not something I have a snag with, in fact my bad shot is generally a hook.

Let's say I do flatten my left wrist at the top, what do you think I should do to stop my shots all going off to the left? Grip change maybe? I can give it a go but be warned, my average distance from the pin in that set was about 8 feet from 155 yards away with 3 shots inside a yard (bear in mind it's zero wind, absolutely consistent green etc). I'll blame you if it goes up from that :-)

Pete Iveson

Well alli can say is that if you're hitting it that consistantly then you probably don't want to change anything. You asked for comments so I gave my thoughts. What's interesting to me though is I was coming from a hook and this has straightened my flight a lot. Mostly draw or little fade now. I don't think a flatter wrist means you'll necessarily hook it, to me its about the transition.You raise your hands up quite a bit like me at the top. Just a suggestion to try on the sim really. I did have to weaken my grip a bit though to get it flat. I'm super curious to see if you'll hook it with a flat wrist as it's helped cure that issue for me.

Well all can say is that if you're hitting it that consistantly then you probably don't want to change anything. You asked for comments so I gave my thoughts. What's interesting to me though is I was coming from a hook and this has straightened my flight a lot. Mostly draw or little fade now. I don't think a flatter wrist means you'll necessarily hook it, to me its about the transition.You raise your hands up quite a bit like me at the top. Just a suggestion to try on the sim really. I did have to weaken my grip a bit though to get it flat.

I'm super curious to see if you'll hook it with a flat wrist as it's helped cure that issue for me.

Ok, will give it a go. I was just pulling your leg re blaming you if it wrecks my swing, sure it won't do. My swing does work for me though but that's not to say it can't be improved. I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Pete Iveson

Ok, will give it a go. I was just pulling your leg re blaming you if it wrecks my swing, sure it won't do. My swing does work for me though but that's not to say it can't be improved. I'll let you know how it goes :-)

haha it's all good, last thing I'd want to do is screw you up!

Note: This thread is 2899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!