IGNORED

Is discoloration on the faces of used irons a big issue ??

NCHank
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I look for a set of used, forged irons for my winter project, I notice that a lot of the irons on Ebay have some discoloration on their faces especially lower numbered clubs and wedges.  The Mizuno's seem to have more than others.  Is this something to avoid or can they be cleaned with steel wool or wet/dry sandpaper.  Is there something about the metal or process that Mizuno uses that makes them more susceptible to discoloration??  I was leaning toward getting a set of those but not if they won't stay looking nice after cleaning.

As I look for a set of used, forged irons for my winter project, I notice that a lot of the irons on Ebay have some discoloration on their faces especially lower numbered clubs and wedges.  The Mizuno's seem to have more than others.  Is this something to avoid or can they be cleaned with steel wool or wet/dry sandpaper.  Is there something about the metal or process that Mizuno uses that makes them more susceptible to discoloration??  I was leaning toward getting a set of those but not if they won't stay looking nice after cleaning.

My Callaway X-24s were chrome with a slightly sandblasted finish around the grooves. Over 3 years, some black swatches have appeared from the finish wearing off. I'll see if I can take some photos for you, but it's purely cosmetic. Irons wear out, it's not a huge deal. Especially with irons by better players who hit the same spot over and over, you'll see a worn out sweet spot. My pro has a nickel sized dark spot on each of his irons, and it's kind of awesome. I'm terrible, so I spread the wear evenly across the face, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's probably just a cosmetic thing, from being hit. You just want to make sure the grooves are still good.

What Mizuno's are you looking at?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[QUOTE name="NCHank" url="/t/84658/is-discoloration-on-the-faces-of-used-irons-a-big-issue#post_1205587"]   As I look for a set of used, forged irons for my winter project, I notice that a lot of the irons on Ebay have some discoloration on their faces especially lower numbered clubs and wedges.  The Mizuno's seem to have more than others.  Is this something to avoid or can they be cleaned with steel wool or wet/dry sandpaper.  Is there something about the metal or process that Mizuno uses that makes them more susceptible to discoloration??  I was leaning toward getting a set of those but not if they won't stay looking nice after cleaning. [/QUOTE] My Callaway X-24s were chrome with a slightly sandblasted finish around the grooves. Over 3 years, some black swatches have appeared from the finish wearing off. I'll see if I can take some photos for you, but it's purely cosmetic. Irons wear out, it's not a huge deal. Especially with irons by better players who hit the same spot over and over, you'll see a worn out sweet spot. My pro has a nickel sized dark spot on each of his irons, and it's kind of awesome. I'm terrible, so I spread the wear evenly across the face, haha.

It's actually "dime sized brown spot".....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

It's probably just a cosmetic thing, from being hit. You just want to make sure the grooves are still good.

What Mizuno's are you looking at?

They are MP-33's and I did buy them today.  $75.00 for 3-PW sounded like an OK price for my project.  They remind me a little of "The Standards" I played with many years ago.  The grooves look alright except the 7,8, and PW could use a little dressing up but they're not flattened.  They have the usual bag dings and a few "hey, I didn't know there was a rock under there" marks, but again, nothing that would keep me from playing them when I'm finished. The shop owner said he would help me pick some shafts when I was ready and he'll measure to make sure I get them the right length for my swing. Time to start pricing some components.

dkolo, the guy who had these was no pro.  The dark spots are more like a silver dollar.... :-) .

It's just where the chrome has worn off.

The grooves may be worn there, but it just means they've been used on the range a lot. The sand has acted like sand paper when it gets between the ball and the clubface. If the spots are concentrated, it means it was a decent player.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Thanks for the picture and explanation, Shorty.  The worst of mine on the 7 and PW were not that dark but larger.  They cleaned up well enough for me, but I'll have to try to tap the large ding on the 7 iron down a bit.

Thanks for the picture and explanation

Those grooves look ok, mostly just the chrome that has worn off.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!