IGNORED

back after 6 years!

valleyboi
Note: This thread is 3075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi all, im back playing after a long break from golf, previous i was playing off 6 (5.8) on a pretty tough course. i have re joined my local club which is pretty tight but not and tricky. so my question is have any of you guys taken a long break and if so how long did it take you to get back to playing like you was?

at the moment my game is all over the shop, i can shoot 3+ one game then 18+ another. im practicing as often as possible but i really feel my approach shots to the green just aint good enough.

my chipping and putting seem to be getting better but my off the tee and iron play just seem to be stagnant  

• Upvote 1

If you were a 5.8 index it should not be too long before you are playing at a similar level.  In fact, since you started again in September, my expectation is you should be well settled in again at 5-6.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

its pretty bleak here in wales in the winter so im only getting one maybe two rounds a week but i work 10mins away from a range. i do feel like its coming together and im most prob being a little hard on myself

I stopped playing for a few years.  I stopped playing at about a 4.  I've been playing again for few years and have never got back to where I was.  That's mainly because I don't practice like I used to and my irons aren't as crisp.   I hit the ball as far but no where near with the same ball striking and I'm not consistent off the tee nor do I have the same touch and feel around the greens.  Honestly, I was very frustrated when I started playing again because I expected to shoot similar scores to when I stopped playing.  I adjusted my expectations and realized that I don't play as often and I don't work on my game like I used to and the frustration was gone.  I started really having fun again realizing that I'm lucky enough to be a decent golfer but I'm not at the point where I'm shooting my career rounds...

I guess it depends on your approach.  If your determined you can get it back.  I still plan to keep improving but by no means do I put in the effort I would need to get back to where I was at my best.  I get risky and try shots that I have no business trying but I still have fun and I'm happy if I keep it in the low 80's and I'm happier if I keep it in the 70's.  That said, I want to birdie everything!  Or make that awesome Par save... or well, just find my golf ball...  

:beer:  Good Luck, Welcome Back, and Have Fun!  Sorry I was no help!  My only real advice, don't expect to have that same consistency you did before you quit the moment you pick everything back up.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't play for 20 years due to a back injury.  I started playing again this June.  I was a 5 handicap when I quit.  This year, after 5 rounds, my handicap was 31.  I bought new clubs (my old clubs were built for a young strong guy and was pre most of the game improvement technologies) and began a steady improvement till the snow came.  I ended at 10.8.  My last 10 rounds ranged from 88 (tough course) to 77 (easy course).  That included 77, 78, 79, 79 in the  last 6 rounds.

For me, it's a matter of building a completely new swing.  At age 65 I'll never play the power game I used to play.  I'll be happy with 230-240 drives and playing stronger irons than I was before.

I'm going to take some lessons this winter and I fully believe I'll get to where I was before the injury -- however, I'll be playing a much different game.

Good luck and don't be afraid of change.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

Note: This thread is 3075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!