IGNORED

Hybrids

Note: This thread is 5771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have a hybrid in your bag?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soon!

It's funny how people change their tunes. Why would you want to carry a versatile club that you can hit off the tee, the fairway, out of the rough and even chip with? All it took was seeing some of the tour guys playing them. Then it's OK. If Tiger puts one in his bag for a major then it will be the biggest thing in the game.

Tiger has tryed hybrids but he claims he cannot hit his "stinger" shot with them like he does with his 2 iron. Plus, he sais he hits the ball high anyway so the hybrids actually balloon on him.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my original post I have purchased an Adams Idea Pro 20 (3) and 23 (4). They have been reshafted with DG XL X-100 since the graphite they come with (Aldila VS Proto 80x) is one of the most inconsistent shafts out there. I put the 3 iron shaft on a deflection board and it was a soft stiff, not an X, and the 4 iron deflected at a firm stiff, not X.

I thought one of the selling points of the Idea Pro is the stock Aldila VS Proto 80x shaft? That's what they advertise and that's what one sales guy told me when I went in to hit one, not that that means anything, but still.

Anyone know how the Idea Pro compares to the Idea a2? I like the look of the a2 better than the Pro (something about that yellow...) and for a hundred bucks less, seems like a great deal. This is kind of scary from the a2 OS review on this site, " The only problem I have with the appearance is that the color on the back of the club is already nicked. I really haven't overused it and I see markings wearing off the champagne portion. This disturbs me because, for a brand new club, it's starting to look old quickly. " Have you had and issues with this, Jorruss?

Gamers:
Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5* (Aldila VS Proto 65s)
3 Woood: Ping G5, 15* (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75s)
Hybrid: Adams Idea A2, 3i/20* (Aldila NV 85s)
Irons (4-PW): Ping Eye2+ Black Dot (KT Steel Stiff)Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series 252.08, Spin-Milled SM56.10/SM60.04Putter: Guerin Rife...

I use a Taylormade Rescue Dual and I love it.

There is a hole at my home course that the club sets up perfect for.

If I had a nickel for everytime that club got me out of a sticky situation I would have a load of nickels.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

I thought one of the selling points of the Idea Pro is the stock Aldila VS Proto 80x shaft? That's what they advertise and that's what one sales guy told me when I went in to hit one, not that that means anything, but still.

I have noticed that the polished black area in the back is seseptable to scratches, but I try to keep the headcover on it all the time. Don't see how it could get scratched if you do that.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

As far as the Aldila Vs Proto 80 shaft, my clubmaker (who has a very good rep and has made clubs for several tour pros) sais Aldila makes a very inconsistent shaft. He has a huge tub full of Nv and NVS shafts that he has replaced. he says the best mass produced shaft out there right now is the UST Pro Force V2. That's his opinion of course. I play an NVS in my driver and 3 wood but they also have deflected way soft and I'll be switching to the V2 High Launch.

In my Srixon staff bag:

I just purchased an Adams Idea A2 last night. I hit the A2, the Idea Pro, and a Cleveland HiBore on a launch monitor.

The Idea Pro is a very nice club, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Although it felt awesome just taking practice swings with it, when I started hitting balls everything was really low and it felt kind of dead to me as well. I must not have the swing speed for it.

The HiBore is awesome. Impact was the best of all three, but I hate the look of it and mostly I was worried that at 22* for the 3i, it would leave too much of a distance gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

I hit the Idea A2 great, low, but not too low. I like the look of it the best of all three, I think I can maybe even shape a shot or two and it was discounted at only a hundred bones. Sold.

I figure if I end up not liking it all that much I can upgrade without taking a huge hit to the wallet.

Gamers:
Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5* (Aldila VS Proto 65s)
3 Woood: Ping G5, 15* (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75s)
Hybrid: Adams Idea A2, 3i/20* (Aldila NV 85s)
Irons (4-PW): Ping Eye2+ Black Dot (KT Steel Stiff)Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series 252.08, Spin-Milled SM56.10/SM60.04Putter: Guerin Rife...

Cleveland Halo 2i - fills a gap in distance and easier to hit than a fairway wood.

Funny you should say that. I've been thinking of replacing my 3W with 1HI, and perhaps my 5W with a 2HI or 3HI. I love my 4HI.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
I have two rescue mids 16 and 19

In my bag
R7 Draw 9
rescue mid 16
Nds 3-pw(no nine iron)
50 racspin milled 56 black nickel 60 2 ball srt ad333/Zurc

I'm in that minority of people who can't hit a hybrid! I think it's mostly mental but I hit them way to high and short. My home course is very windy so a long iron is a better play for me. But I did just put a 5 wood in my bag. I use it a lot like a hybrid. I hit about 250 straight as an arrow and can play it out of the rough.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I'm in that minority of people who can't hit a hybrid! I think it's mostly mental but I hit them way to high and short. My home course is very windy so a long iron is a better play for me. But I did just put a 5 wood in my bag. I use it a lot like a hybrid. I hit about 250 straight as an arrow and can play it out of the rough.

Hitting a five wood 250 yds, guess your ready for the tour.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Join my club, I think.

Personally, I can't hit a hybrid more than about 160 yards no matter how hard I try, and that's a good hit--a mishit for me is either a top or a push-slice. I likewise can hit my 3-wood a mile (I just today had a bit over 200 to get to the green, so I busted my 3 wood off the deck...and watched my ball sail onto the next tee box), and I also like to play it out of the rough. But yeah, I wasted 70 bucks on a hybrid...
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 4 weeks later...
Join my club, I think.

When I first purchased a hybrid club a couple of years ago, I couldn't hit it well, either. I would almost always squirt it out to the right. I discovered this fact was a result of a bit of an outside to inside swing, which I struggled with at the time, as well as either inconsistent or incorrect placement of the ball at address. Once I worked out these problems, and I admit it took a little time, I could hit the hybrid more consistently more often than any other club in my bag. Most good players now acknowledge that hybrids are brilliantly easy to use, you just have to make a few adjustments in order to hit them consistently. Even Phil Mickelson used two hybrids in his win at the Players this past weekend. I think if you stay with it, you will be well rewarded. And, for what it's worth, even though better players are now using them, hybrids are really heaven sent to the higher handicap player. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

When I first purchased a hybrid club a couple of years ago, I couldn't hit it well, either. I would almost always squirt it out to the right. I discovered this fact was a result of a bit of an outside to inside swing, which I struggled with at the time, as well as either inconsistent or incorrect placement of the ball at address. Once I worked out these problems, and I admit it took a little time, I could hit the hybrid more consistently more often than any other club in my bag. Most good players now acknowledge that hybrids are brilliantly easy to use, you just have to make a few adjustments in order to hit them consistently. Even Phil Mickelson used two hybrids in his win at the Players this past weekend. I think if you stay with it, you will be well rewarded. And, for what it's worth, even though better players are now using them, hybrids are really heaven sent to the higher handicap player. Good luck.

This was a while ago...but here goes, anyway. I returned the hybrid and used the store credit towards a new putter. I can crank the 3 iron off the deck about 230 yards, maybe more if I tee it low (longest to date is 260...probably with a lot of roll). I'm pretty consistent with it, my misses are usually either a pull or I catch it off the toe. Hybrids seem to get two reactions out of golfers: it either saves your golf life, or it leaves you wondering out loud what the hell these things are for. I'm clearly in the latter... yeah.

I just don't really see the need for it--there's no distance gap in my clubs, I hit long irons very well (I swear, although I'm probably a 25, my iron play is more like a 5), and I'm not prone to hitting toppers. Basically, I got the worst out of both worlds when I got a hybrid. The inconsistency of a fairway wood (toppers, push-slices, etc...) with a loss of range. I might give another hybrid a spin, but you can be sure it'll be an el cheapo one this time around.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Hybrids revitalized my game...but you have to learn to hit them. Don't hit them like fairway woods. Stand a bit closer than with a wood (AKA, like an iron), keep the club low back, low through, with less swing than you think. Stay behind the ball...if you get ahead, or dip back, you're screwed.

My first hybrid (rescue mid 4) had a graphite shaft that I hooked like mad. I switched to steel and I hit them straight as an arrow. I have 2, 4, 5 and took the 3 and 4 irons out of my bag.

I hit my driver about 280. I hit my 2 hybrid 260.

BTW, I have no fairway woods in my bag anymore.

Now I can fit in a lob and maybe gap wedge, to improve my short game!

BTW, I have no fairway woods in my bag anymore.

I am close to doing that myself. I rarely hit my 3 Wood anymore. I will hit my 3 Hybrid on tight driving holes or when I need to draw the ball. I only have my 3 wood for when I absolutely need those few extra yards.

If I find a 2 hybrid that I can hit, the 3 Wood may be a goner. My current 2 hybrid is very tough to hit and not significantly longer on good shots than the 3 hybrid.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Well right now I have a huge gap because I have a 3wood and a 3iron but nothing in between them.

I hit my 3w 250+ and I can hit my 3i about 225. I am trying to fill the gap but having a hard time filling that gap with a club for that distance. Is a 4 (22deg) going to be about the same as a 5w in terms of distance....say 240 or so?

Also, do the 3i runout a lot more then hybrids? If I hit a 3i into a green chances are I am going to get alot of roll out of the shot. It may only carry like 200 or so but its going to roll for another 15-20. Were as with a hybrid it may carry 200 but it may only run out another 5-10?

Either way I am looking for a 5woodish replacement. I am not set on a wood or hybrid...whichever gets the job done. I am leaning towards hybrid, simply because it might be a bit more veristile then a 5w.

I am close to doing that myself. I rarely hit my 3 Wood anymore. I will hit my 3 Hybrid on tight driving holes or when I need to draw the ball. I only have my 3 wood for when I absolutely need those few extra yards.

Have you tried the Cobra Baffler? It must be one of the easiest clubs with which to get the ball up. I replaced my 3 wood, with which I was having increasing difficulty using from the fairway, with a #1 16 degree Cobra Baffler DWS. It is advertised as being available only with a stiff shaft, but I ordered it with a regular flex and Cobra sent it straight away. I can hit this club well from almost any lie and, sometimes, during a round, if I start spraying shots off the tee, I'll hit this club instead of the driver. The result is almost always the same: while shorter than my driver, the ball is found in the short grass and I have an opportunity to go for the green. I recommend the Cobra only because it is so easy to use. I tried a friend's Callaway Heavenwood hybrid, and I liked it, too. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 5771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!