or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › What is the best lightweight stand bag in your opinion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the best lightweight stand bag in your opinion?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I'm in the market for a lightweight stand bag. Preferably something that can easily hold 14 clubs. I've heard great things about Ping Hoofer and 4-Under, Sun Mountain Three-Five and Four-Five, and Titleist Ultra-lightweight. I'm also considering a Callaway Hyperlite 3.0 or 4.0. So, in your humble opinion, what is the best bag for walking out there?

post #2 of 25

I have the Sun Mountain Four5 and love it... However I ride nearly all of my rounds... I think that if I was to carry the majority of my rounds I would probably get a Three5, but you can't really go wrong with either one.

post #3 of 25

I just recently got the hyper-lite four.  I looked around for a while and decided on it.  I'm very happy.  I think the ultra lights don't hold the clubs as well in keeping them sorted.  The extra pound is worth it. I highly recommend.  There are some great deals on them on ebay.  I think I got mine brand new for 76 shipped. 

post #4 of 25

Ogio ozone. Not the lightest bag out, but it's a far cry from "heavy" and with a bunch of useful features.

post #5 of 25

Sun Mountain 3.5.  Make sure you get one that has the hard plastic handle that extends up from the back of the bag.   Its great for when you need to move you bag a few steps.  It also has plenty of pockets for various types of storage. 

 

I dont find it a problem keeping 14 clubs separated, even though there are only 6 divided sections.

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx View Post

Ogio ozone. Not the lightest bag out, but it's a far cry from "heavy" and with a bunch of useful features.



That's funny. I was thinking of selling my Ozone for two reasons: The clubs are always getting jammed up, and the legs don't deploy out far enough to create a stable tripod so the bag is always teetering on inclines. Oh and it doesn't play particularly nice with carts as it tends to want to rotate around.

post #7 of 25

The Titleist Ultra light bag or any other bag that only has 2-3 divider isn't all that great for 14 clubs. Grips always get tangled and make it annoying. I know the whole ultra light bags are the thing lately but I like at least 4 dividers to keep the tangling to a minimum. Sun Mountain 3.5 or the Titleist light weight bags are great.

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_junki View Post

The Titleist Ultra light bag or any other bag that only has 2-3 divider isn't all that great for 14 clubs. Grips always get tangled and make it annoying. I know the whole ultra light bags are the thing lately but I like at least 4 dividers to keep the tangling to a minimum. Sun Mountain 3.5 or the Titleist light weight bags are great.



Yeah, any bag you are going to put a complete set in is gonna need more than 2 to 3 dividers... You don't need a 14 way for sure but I'd say a minimum of 4 with 5+ being better.

 

By the way, on a side note, welcome back wrx... I can't really remember the last time I saw you post.

post #9 of 25

Mizuno Aerolite f1_cool.gif

post #10 of 25

Couldn't say a bad word about my Sun Mountain Four-5. Best bag I've ever had and looks lovely in green as well.

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post

Couldn't say a bad word about my Sun Mountain Four-5. Best bag I've ever had and looks lovely in green as well.


Issues with my 2009 version:

1.) fabric could be a bit more waterproof

2.) plastic spring loaded thing on cord holding top portion of umbrella in place is weak, doesn't stay in place

3.) so many pockets that you need to stay on top of what gear you have stowed away or it does get heavy

4.) not enough padding in shoulder straps.

 

The 2011 version has more padding in the shoulder straps.

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post


Issues with my 2009 version:

1.) fabric could be a bit more waterproof

2.) plastic spring loaded thing on cord holding top portion of umbrella in place is weak, doesn't stay in place

3.) so many pockets that you need to stay on top of what gear you have stowed away or it does get heavy

4.) not enough padding in shoulder straps.

 

The 2011 version has more padding in the shoulder straps.


I agree about your point 1 but I've not had an issue with anything else.

 

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post


Issues with my 2009 version:

1.) fabric could be a bit more waterproof

2.) plastic spring loaded thing on cord holding top portion of umbrella in place is weak, doesn't stay in place

3.) so many pockets that you need to stay on top of what gear you have stowed away or it does get heavy

4.) not enough padding in shoulder straps.

 

The 2011 version has more padding in the shoulder straps.



Yeah... I have the new one and the padding is not an issue on it... I walked for the first time in a long time the other day and it was a good bag... You are right on point 3, however, there is a lot of space and it can get heavy quick if you are not careful...  

post #14 of 25

I have the original Sun Mountain 3.5 with the Hip Belt.

 

The new Zero G with the Belt looks like a comfy and easy system. It does take the weight off your back. If you walk, that would be my recommendation.

post #15 of 25

I have the Taylormade ultra-light stand one (not sure of the exact model name) in my signature and love it. The clubs actually stay separated and there are a ton of great pockets and features. However, I feel like most of the "ultra-light" bags are about the same and jut go with one of the major brands and you'll be alright. 

post #16 of 25

I have the same problem with my Ogio. Just doesn't want to sit up straight in the golf cart and my bag, amongst my friends, always falls first if a gust of wind blows.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post

That's funny. I was thinking of selling my Ozone for two reasons: The clubs are always getting jammed up, and the legs don't deploy out far enough to create a stable tripod so the bag is always teetering on inclines. Oh and it doesn't play particularly nice with carts as it tends to want to rotate around.



 

post #17 of 25

I like the Mizuno Twister. Not the lightest in the bunch but love the Kabuki top. I like the way the clubs are organized. As the top is quite compact, it lessens the clubs from banging  at each other.

 

Another nice feature of the bag, the big pockets are removable. So if you are like me, I only carry the basic essentials --- ball, tees, drink, you could detach these pockets to lighten the load a bit.

 

Also, the 4 point strap is well padded, making the bag comfortable.

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18thbunker View Post

I like the Mizuno Twister. Not the lightest in the bunch but love the Kabuki top. I like the way the clubs are organized. As the top is quite compact, it lessens the clubs from banging  at each other.

 

Another nice feature of the bag, the big pockets are removable. So if you are like me, I only carry the basic essentials --- ball, tees, drink, you could detach these pockets to lighten the load a bit.

 

Also, the 4 point strap is well padded, making the bag comfortable.



I had the original Twister -- thought it was the best bag out there -- but Mizuno, being idiots, didn't realize that golfers like water when they walk.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › What is the best lightweight stand bag in your opinion?