or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Superstar Field at Abu Dhabi This Week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Superstar Field at Abu Dhabi This Week

post #1 of 247
Thread Starter 
Among others, McIlRoy, Donald, McDowell, Kaymer, Westwood, Schwartzel, Clarke, Harrington, Garcia, Day, Choi. Oh, and Woods.

AFAIK, Tiger's never seen the course before, and some of the above play it every year, so he's got his work cut out. But if he could pull off a win against this field, there would be no doubt that he's back.
post #2 of 247
It's going to be a great golf tournament with a plush purse.
post #3 of 247

I actually played this course a few years ago when I lived up the road in Al Ain.

 

My old golf buddy has volunteered this tournament in the past. It was known for being low key and for the crowd being able to get close to the players, but I'm sure that's all over with.

 

Should be a good one.

post #4 of 247

Sponsors paid TWoods more than $2M to enjoy the tourney.  I wonder if all the players get appearance fees?

post #5 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

Sponsors paid TWoods more than $2M to enjoy the tourney.  I wonder if all the players get appearance fees?



They won't all get the appearance fees, but paying the big names to show up is typical of golf and tennis in that part of the world.

 

post #6 of 247

Not sure about the whole "if... than Tiger is back" stuff but I sure think this will be a great tournament to watch!

post #7 of 247

Tiger's season starts at the Masters. He'd love a win, but it would only make people talk more and it wouldn't silence the uncertainty, even against this field. Don't expect him to be in serious form until then, ditto for the other top players. This is the start of a lot of their seasons, so don't expect sharp play.

 

The tournament itself probably won't be worth watching, given the amount of rust a lot of these players have. It's the UAE's versions of Donald Trump attracting top names by waving large stacks of money around, trying to make the UAE the definitive luxury destination and attract rich players to the courses. The golfers obviously show up, and many of them may decide to buy property there for vacations. The Tiger factor is enough to make the tourney a big to do, even the Frys.com open got a lot of attention, and that's not exactly a major.

 

Probably will be a better event this year than Kapalua, that course and event is a huge yawn. If it were to take place during a non golf-starved period of the season, no one would watch either. I hope the course is better than Kapalua though, watching the winning players of 2011 play golf on the side of a volcano is less awesome than it sounds, by a lot.

post #8 of 247

Given Tiger's play over the years, I would have to disagree.  How many times has Tiger won on his first tournament of the year in the past?

 

I am not saying he's back.  I am just saying he won't be as rusty as you seem to make it out to be.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

Tiger's season starts at the Masters. He'd love a win, but it would only make people talk more and it wouldn't silence the uncertainty, even against this field. Don't expect him to be in serious form until then, ditto for the other top players. This is the start of a lot of their seasons, so don't expect sharp play.

 

The tournament itself probably won't be worth watching, given the amount of rust a lot of these players have. It's the UAE's versions of Donald Trump attracting top names by waving large stacks of money around, trying to make the UAE the definitive luxury destination and attract rich players to the courses. The golfers obviously show up, and many of them may decide to buy property there for vacations. The Tiger factor is enough to make the tourney a big to do, even the Frys.com open got a lot of attention, and that's not exactly a major.

 

Probably will be a better event this year than Kapalua, that course and event is a huge yawn. If it were to take place during a non golf-starved period of the season, no one would watch either. I hope the course is better than Kapalua though, watching the winning players of 2011 play golf on the side of a volcano is less awesome than it sounds, by a lot.



 

post #9 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post

Given Tiger's play over the years, I would have to disagree.  How many times has Tiger won on his first tournament of the year in the past?

2008, 2007, 2006, 2003, 2000 (if you don't count the event that is now the Chevron), and 1997. Some were the Mercedes, some were the Buick.
post #10 of 247

That was a rhetorical question as most people know that Tiger won a lot of "first tournaments" of the year.  But thanks for the stats.  I didn't know the exact year and the number, but I knew it was a lot.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


2008, 2007, 2006, 2003, 2000 (if you don't count the event that is now the Chevron), and 1997. Some were the Mercedes, some were the Buick.


 

post #11 of 247

If anything, Tiger should be in better shape than most, given his late year participation and certainly a strong desire to come back. He probably worked harder in the offseason than anyone else, knowing him. Don't mistake what I said for calling Tiger rusty, I just don't think it'll be a great competition because the season hasn't really begun until the Masters for Tiger and the other top pros.

 

I wasn't singling out Tiger for rust, most players don't hit their stride at the start of the year. If Tiger wins, I expect it'll be because he brings his A game and plays hard while the rest of the field are  still getting into competitive shape. But if he doesn't win or he doesn't put together a very strong showing, I expect he'll focus 100% on preparing for Augusta.

post #12 of 247

Wow ... there's as much Tiger anticipation here as TGC.

 

I hope he makes the cut.

post #13 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWBDD View Post

Wow ... there's as much Tiger anticipation here as TGC.

 

I hope he makes the cut.



Wow, high hopes..

post #14 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk18 View Post



Wow, high hopes..



Undue TGC attention = the kiss of death.

 

post #15 of 247

he'll top 5 it

post #16 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfc_nick View Post

he'll top 5 it



I would think you'd get fairly high odds against in Vegas.

 

post #17 of 247

I agree...I really think he will top 5 it...if not win.   Let me put it this way...I will be seriously surprised if he is out of the top 15.   Whoever says he is gonna miss the cut must be smoking crack.  He's healthy, back to practicing full time and is hungry as ever!  Why do the players on tour see it but you guys don't?  And players like Aaron Baddely and Zach Johnson are even admitting it to the press which isn't a good sign.   I'm not even a Tiger fan and I can admit it.  I know it was small field at his tournament but he was controlling his ball and the putter was heating up.   Keep doubting and see what happens. 

 

"Denial aint just a river in Egypt"   Mark Twain said that. 

 

"A hero and nothing but a sandwich"  Shaquille O'Neal said that. 

 

Actually it was a book by Alice Childress about a heroin addict...But shaq said that it in regards to Kobe always trying to be the hero.  ha ha!    

post #18 of 247

If 8 to 1 odds are high, then you would be correct.  But its not, so you are wrong.   The only better odds are Rory 6.5 to 1, Kaymer 6 to 1 and "the field" 6 to 1.  So I'm pretty sure there are some people out there that feel the same way we do.  Tiger is back and he's gonna win multiple tournaments this year. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWBDD View Post



I would think you'd get fairly high odds against in Vegas.

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Superstar Field at Abu Dhabi This Week