or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › What additional clubs do I need?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What additional clubs do I need?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I'm a beginner that is trying to learn the game of golf. I haven't played a round yet, but I go to the driving range whenever I get the chance.

 

I've paced myself buying clubs and have tried focusing on the ones that I have. I currently have a 2007 Taylormade Burner Driver, 4-9,SW,&PW Taylormade Burner Plus, and a Odyssey White Ice Two Ball F-7 putter.

 

Since Christmas is around the corner I would like to ask for a club or two. I'm not really sure what to ask for. What would be some good suggestions? Whatever I choose it will probably used since I am just trying to feel my way around now.

post #2 of 8

Looks like you could probably use a fairway metal and/or a hybrid or two.  Go to your local golf shop and hit several, find the one you like the best, then ask for that one.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post

Looks like you could probably use a fairway metal and/or a hybrid or two.  Go to your local golf shop and hit several, find the one you like the best, then ask for that one.

Thats what confuses me. I don't know what to focus on. If I got one club would it be better to get a 3W or 3H?

post #4 of 8

5w or 3/4 hybrid. You are looking for a club for long par 3s and 2nd shots on par 5s.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooyuka View Post

Thats what confuses me. I don't know what to focus on. If I got one club would it be better to get a 3W or 3H?

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

5w or 3/4 hybrid. You are looking for a club for long par 3s and 2nd shots on par 5s.

 

 

 

Since I already have a 4I should I look at a 3H if I go the hybrid route?

post #6 of 8

Only if you can hit the 4 iron. There are a lot of guys out there that hit the 4/5 iron about the same distance.  For those guys you buy the hybrid. Personally I prefer the 5 wood to the hybrid but that is a personal choice/failing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooyuka View Post

 

Since I already have a 4I should I look at a 3H if I go the hybrid route?

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

Only if you can hit the 4 iron. There are a lot of guys out there that hit the 4/5 iron about the same distance.  For those guys you buy the hybrid. Personally I prefer the 5 wood to the hybrid but that is a personal choice/failing.

 

 

Hitting the ball is problem I have, but that's not exclusive to my 4 iron. LOL

post #8 of 8

You might try a 5W for starters. It will carry a bit longer than a hybrid, but you can still use it out of light rough. With just one longer club other than the driver, you will get plenty of time to practice it and use it. This will get you through the first season.

 

Next season, try to visit a golf expo and hit a variety of longer clubs. This will give  you an idea of which ones would benefit you, looking ahead to Christmas 2013.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › What additional clubs do I need?