or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (techforay)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (techforay)

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 10 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 95

My typical ball flight is: A fade or slice

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I want to be able to draw a ball and I hate my slice

 


 

Videos:

post #2 of 22

First thing is that you seem to be under the impression that "rolling" the face helps you draw the ball, it doesn't, if anything it helps the path get more left.  In order for you to get the path less left/more right you need to start making some changes with your backswing pivot.  The head is moving too far to the right, causing the shoulders to turn too flat.  The left shoulder kind of "runs into" your chin and in order to create some speed, you "come over the top".  In order to start having the left shoulder go under your chin, create a bigger turn, keep the head steady, you're going to need more bending and stretching to occur.  More on that in the video below.

 

To help with this bending and stretching I would recommend flaring both feet out at address, helps do the knee linkage stuff on the backswing and helps your flex the left knee forward longer on the downswing.

 

 

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
I realized that I never thanked you for your help. It is very much appreciated.
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforay View Post

I realized that I never thanked you for your help. It is very much appreciated.

 

How's it been going?

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
It has been a little frustrating at times. I make a swing with open hands and I can turn the shoulder without drifting the head. I can also follow through better. Once I put that glib in my hand my brain wants to take over and I struggle.
post #6 of 22

We don't realize how much we can learn about the golf swing by watching players like you.That turning the wrists over pre-swing drill you are doing is significant especially for us seasoned enthusiasts who may not get help from other body actions.You have a little over the top move and probably a weight shift issue but the wrist/hand rotation is clearly what you sense is needed.If you want I could PM you with something you may want to try.Posting it in the open forum is just too much hassle.

post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedrop View Post

If you want I could PM you with something you may want to try.Posting it in the open forum is just too much hassle.

If you continue to post like this you'll simply be placed in the Penalty Box.

@techforay can decide for himself if he'd like your advice, right here publicly.

BTW, rolling the hands over is unnecessary. Some will naturally occur, but forcing it leads to bad things.

Your path is WELL to the left, and you should stick to the advice given to you by @mvmac. You hit pulls and slices because your path is left, and your face is often (slices) not far enough left as well. The pulls are no good either, so the issue for you is to fix the path.
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Sure I would like what to see what you have
post #9 of 22

maybe try to hit more down on the ball? It looks like you are scooping at it. trying to help it get in the air. This is more pronounced in your driver swing, which obviously you don't want to be hitting the ground too much with a driver. But I still think your iron swing could stay down more. your head moves up a good amount right after impact.

 

Don't be afraid to hit the ground and take a little earth with your iron shots.

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 

Thank you iacas for the clarification. That post did confuse me a little. It seamed as though it was the opposite of what MVMAC had said.   I will tell you though that I got the advice to "really flip those wrists" from a instructor on a golf range that is a PGA member.  I do think both you and MVMAC gave me that right advise as well as mfillyaw.  I was paying for the lessons that got me started on the bad habit that you both of you advise against.  The only part of my game that i want to work on right now is my slice.  I have been golfing to long to not have worked that problem out. It takes the fun out of golf for me because i view it amateuristic. I dont even know if that is a real word but it explains how i feel.  I have devoted a year to solving this problem and at times i feel like I am going around in circles depending on what advise I get from much better golfers than I.   My brain tells me that when you start flipping your wrists it is hard to tell where the club face is going to end up. So sometimes i hit it very straight and hard in the wrong direction (pulled left).  I got some advise that i have not put into practice yet but may have been the best (but harsh) advise if have gotten.  "you dont get better because you dont spend time on the drills".  I dont have a driving range close to me so somehow i need to did the drills and find a way to practice the right stuff at home.  It would seem that i also need to find a way to know what is good advise and what is not.  

post #11 of 22
Well, I can tell you from my experience that I have been with guys for almost two months now and I have pretty much eliminated my slice.. My miss now is either a pull draw / hook or a push.. Either way my path has changed and I don't even think about my miss when I'm swinging. Basically it feels good to have taken the fear and embarrassment of hitting balls into the other fairways while swinging..
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
I am hoping you meant that you have been work with the guys in this forum
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforay View Post

I am hoping you meant that you have been work with the guys in this forum

 

Yes. He has.

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
I am very hopeful that you can help me also. I will be extremely appreiciated
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Well, I can tell you from my experience that I have been with guys for almost two months now and I have pretty much eliminated my slice.. My miss now is either a pull draw / hook or a push.. Either way my path has changed and I don't even think about my miss when I'm swinging. Basically it feels good to have taken the fear and embarrassment of hitting balls into the other fairways while swinging..

 

Is that proper way to use these forums to spend some real time working on the help I have gotten above and then post another video to this same thread?  I am assuming that the instruction from you people above is the most obvious issues and as i bring them under control other things can be worked on in perhaps a specific order.  I guess what i am really asking is it effective to try and work on several things at once or just focus on one swing change at a time. Any advise?

post #16 of 22

Generally it's better to work on one issue/key at a time. Example, if I try to work on keys 1 and 3 for example, it's harder for me to concentrate on key #1 rather than if I just worked on key #1 by it self. This allows me to get that key down faster than skipping around to other keys/issues. Once I can swing and not move my head all over consistently, I'll then move to key #2, rinse and repeat, and so on.

 

I'm sure Dave, Erik, Mike and all the instructors have found that focusing on one thing at a time produces better results, I know it did for me, and I still practice Key# 1 all the time. Hope that answers your question.

post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

Generally it's better to work on one issue/key at a time. Example, if I try to work on keys 1 and 3 for example, it's harder for me to concentrate on key #1 rather than if I just worked on key #1 by it self. This allows me to get that key down faster than skipping around to other keys/issues. Once I can swing and not move my head all over consistently, I'll then move to key #2, rinse and repeat, and so on.

 

I'm sure Dave, Erik, Mike and all the instructors have found that focusing on one thing at a time produces better results, I know it did for me, and I still practice Key# 1 all the time. Hope that answers your question.

It does. Thank you for your advise

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforay View Post
 

It does. Thank you for your advise

 

 

Your more than welcome...Once you get some of this stuff down, play it forward..that's what makes this place so cool. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (techforay)