or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is there an official rule that limits your score to 10 on each hole?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there an official rule that limits your score to 10 on each hole?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I've seen people do that. They'll be chopping away in a bunker, or chipping back and forth, etc, and they'll give themselves a 10 on that hole. Occasionally they'll just throw in the towel, pick up the ball, and give themselves a 10. Is that an actual USGA rule, or weekend warrior code?

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomp View Post
 

I've seen people do that. They'll be chopping away in a bunker, or chipping back and forth, etc, and they'll give themselves a 10 on that hole. Occasionally they'll just throw in the towel, pick up the ball, and give themselves a 10. Is that an actual USGA rule, or weekend warrior code?

 

No.

post #3 of 12
there are maximums for handicap purposes. But most folks will just stop at 10 to "speed" things along. Unfortunately, they are so slow on the first 9, they may as well count them all. Unless you're out for "Most Honest Golfer" title at an outing, of course.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomp View Post
 

I've seen people do that. They'll be chopping away in a bunker, or chipping back and forth, etc, and they'll give themselves a 10 on that hole. Occasionally they'll just throw in the towel, pick up the ball, and give themselves a 10. Is that an actual USGA rule, or weekend warrior code?

 

Not a real rule. Just an easy way out.

 

There is, however, a thing called Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) which sets the maximum score you can submit on a hole for handicap purposes, based on your current course handicap. Again, this applies only to scores to be submitted for handicapping reasons.

 

This article has some good information about ESC. 

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomp View Post
 

I've seen people do that. They'll be chopping away in a bunker, or chipping back and forth, etc, and they'll give themselves a 10 on that hole. Occasionally they'll just throw in the towel, pick up the ball, and give themselves a 10. Is that an actual USGA rule, or weekend warrior code?

Thank God!

 

If somebody in front of me is at more than 10 strokes, and is still trying to get the ball in the hole, I'm probably looking around for a more empty part of the course to play on.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Thank God!

 

If somebody in front of me is at more than 10 strokes, and is still trying to get the ball in the hole, I'm probably looking around for a more empty part of the course to play on.


Good grief no doubt I can't and won't play behind someone doing that. I am all for respect on the course but I rolled through and skipped a hole uninvited a few times in 2013 after slow groups let the group ahead get away from them doing that. It's more than the time the frustration factor is high watching that unfold.

post #7 of 12

Almost all of my playing partners ESC at double par and treat it as "official" score.:-D  If it's for the money then it could be like this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTXoNzuk8c

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp9999 View Post
 

Almost all of my playing partners ESC at double par and treat it as "official" score.

 

Forgot about that one. lol

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayG View Post

there are maximums for handicap purposes. But most folks will just stop at 10 to "speed" things along. Unfortunately, they are so slow on the first 9, they may as well count them all. Unless you're out for "Most Honest Golfer" title at an outing, of course.

Also, some people play double par rules. I have played a few times with some buddies where we have done 11 being the highest you can get. After that, it's "shot limit exceeded" like in the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games.
post #10 of 12

played in recreational leagues with a max. of double par...thank God.

post #11 of 12
I have no problem with picking the ball up and putting down whatever score you want....most of the time. However I play with two guys fairly regularly, one is not so terrible the other is terrible. The terrible guy will pick up and say just put me down for double par, ok. Then the not so terrible guy will legitimately get a 7 (par 4). Terrible guy at the end of the round says he beat not so terrible guy. No you didn't because that 8 (double par) was really an 11 or worse. I say keep score correctly and talk about what you shot or keep score anyway you want just don't talk about it.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbo View Post

I have no problem with picking the ball up and putting down whatever score you want....most of the time. However I play with two guys fairly regularly, one is not so terrible the other is terrible. The terrible guy will pick up and say just put me down for double par, ok. Then the not so terrible guy will legitimately get a 7 (par 4). Terrible guy at the end of the round says he beat not so terrible guy. No you didn't because that 8 (double par) was really an 11 or worse. I say keep score correctly and talk about what you shot or keep score anyway you want just don't talk about it.

I agree, before I started trying to calculate my scores for handicap purposes, I would count every single stroke. (shot a 156 last summer, which led me to go get lessons), Now due to ESC, I pick up at 10, so I can calculate my handicap. Although, I have a high handicap anyway. But I did start getting better towards the end of the summer. Shot a 45 on the front 9 at one course, which had me thrilled. So hopefully this year I will get a more respectful handicap.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is there an official rule that limits your score to 10 on each hole?