or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Going Lefty, For a Day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going Lefty, For a Day

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

What should have been an amazing golf weekend, turned into tragedy. Warm Minnesota weather, great pro golf with Jimenez, Kuchar, Wie, and Westwood all winning their tournaments, and me absolutely shanking everything over 100 yards. 

This last few weeks have been the worst I've ever hit my irons and it all culminated with a par 3 course yesterday in which I was hitting every single shot (over 100 yards) either off the toe or the hosel. When I say every single shot....I literally mean every...single...shot.

I realize golf is a sport of ups and downs, but this felt like a whole different animal. Now as for the thread title, let me take you back a bit. 

I play hockey and baseball left handed. Growing up, the only golf I ever had was random trips to the range in my gym classes. For some reason we never had any left handed clubs, but it didn't bother me too much because right handed felt natural...I could hit them pretty well. 

Fast forward to today and I'm playing with a nice set of clubs my father in law gave me, they're right handed which once again...didn't bother me all that much because it felt comfortable...all the way up until this past month (i've been playing for almost a year now.)

So after the par 3 course yesterday evening, I went back to my father in law's house and asked him if he had a left handed club. He said he had a weird uni-club where you could hit off of either side. I tried it out. It was very awkward at first...I've never hit a golf ball left handed before. After about 10 swings, I was hitting the ball off the face every single time. I felt awkward, I'm sure I looked awkward, but when it comes down to it, I want consistency...and I'll try anything to get it.

 

So what I'm going to do today is go to that same par 3 course today, rent out their lefty clubs and play a round. I'm bringing a couple right handed clubs in case it's really awful. But I need to get this idea that I might be a lefty out of my head. 

Wish me luck...or maybe not...

at this point I'm not really sure. 

If I play well that means all the work I've put in for the last year has been for the wrong stance, haha. 

I'll update here hopefully tomorrow. 
 

  

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

What should have been an amazing golf weekend, turned into tragedy. Warm Minnesota weather, great pro golf with Jimenez, Kuchar, Wie, and Westwood all winning their tournaments, and me absolutely shanking everything over 100 yards. 

This last few weeks have been the worst I've ever hit my irons and it all culminated with a par 3 course yesterday in which I was hitting every single shot (over 100 yards) either off the toe or the hosel. When I say every single shot....I literally mean every...single...shot.

I realize golf is a sport of ups and downs, but this felt like a whole different animal. Now as for the thread title, let me take you back a bit. 

I play hockey and baseball left handed. Growing up, the only golf I ever had was random trips to the range in my gym classes. For some reason we never had any left handed clubs, but it didn't bother me too much because right handed felt natural...I could hit them pretty well. 

Fast forward to today and I'm playing with a nice set of clubs my father in law gave me, they're right handed which once again...didn't bother me all that much because it felt comfortable...all the way up until this past month (i've been playing for almost a year now.)

So after the par 3 course yesterday evening, I went back to my father in law's house and asked him if he had a left handed club. He said he had a weird uni-club where you could hit off of either side. I tried it out. It was very awkward at first...I've never hit a golf ball left handed before. After about 10 swings, I was hitting the ball off the face every single time. I felt awkward, I'm sure I looked awkward, but when it comes down to it, I want consistency...and I'll try anything to get it.

 

So what I'm going to do today is go to that same par 3 course today, rent out their lefty clubs and play a round. I'm bringing a couple right handed clubs in case it's really awful. But I need to get this idea that I might be a lefty out of my head. 

Wish me luck...or maybe not...

at this point I'm not really sure. 

If I play well that means all the work I've put in for the last year has been for the wrong stance, haha. 

I'll update here hopefully tomorrow. 
 

 

 

And video, we want video!   :-D

 

 

 

You can even post one swing here......

 

Show Us your "Opposite" Swing!
started on 05/24/13 last post 01/16/14 at 2:02pm 79 replies 3389 views
post #3 of 12
Good luck, Crim. I empathize. Hang in there. I had nearly the same shankdom two years ago at a crummy par 3 course. You'll get it back. Just stick to fundamentals and you'll find the face of the club again.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

And video, we want video!   :-D

haha, I'd love to post video, unfortunately my camerawoman (wife) won't be with me on the course. My father in law might be going with me, I'll see if I can have him take video with my phone, but not promising anything. 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post

Good luck, Crim. I empathize. Hang in there. I had nearly the same shankdom two years ago at a crummy par 3 course. You'll get it back. Just stick to fundamentals and you'll find the face of the club again.

Yeah I hear ya, I think the hardest part is now because of this site and a few lessons, I know what a good swing should look and feel like...I just couldn't find the face...something had to be really wrong. To be honest I felt like my swings were fairly fundamentally sound. But it's always hard to know for sure until you take video. My father in law said every swing looked really good, he was just as baffled as I was. 

post #6 of 12

I'll only say this: your swing didn't massively change in a day.

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

I'll only say this: your swing didn't massively change in a day.

I know, in fact despite these last couple weeks of not being able to find the face very well, I feel like my swing is better than it's ever been (fundamentally). 

 

This lefty thing is basically an idea I need to get out of my head to move forward. 

post #8 of 12

Good luck OP.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

I know, in fact despite these last couple weeks of not being able to find the face very well, I feel like my swing is better than it's ever been (fundamentally). 

This lefty thing is basically an idea I need to get out of my head to move forward. 

I'm lefthanded... And can of many things either way. When I first picked up golf clubs at range, tried both ways, didn't seem to make a difference, decided to go lefty.

The sad reality: every golfer has those days, it's not the direction your swinging, it just happens.

Went to par 3, first time out in 6 months, almost all shanked or pushed.

Went to range, bought big bucket, took half bucket to fix, but straightened back out.

And yes @iacas is right, didn't break swing in one day, sometimes you just get into funk. In practice, I usually take 5 mins off, seems to help, on the course... Hang in there...
post #10 of 12
I remember one time in college I travelled through London with my sister to visit the parents in the Middle East. We had a bunch of hours to kill so we went into town and stumbled on Americans playing softball. I considered myself a pretty good player, having grown up playing fast pitch baseball through high school (and later as an adult).

They asked if we would join them and since it was just a fun social thing, I thought I should go easy on them. Ha. It turns out I couldn't hit a darn thing! I actually struck out twice (although they were nice and let me swing until I could muster a lame grounder). My fifth at bat, the outfield was in! I was thinking to myself "but I'm good!! No more mister nice guy. I'm gonna jack one over their heads." Nope. Ground out to pitcher.

Jumped on the connecting flight and still scratch my head. What the heck happened to my swing. Some days you just don't have it, I guess. The harder I tried the worse it got. It was actually hilarious, and my sis still teases me.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

Well that was an interesting 9 holes. I've never heard of offset clubs until I rented out those horrible hooked things earlier today. It's all they had for lefty clubs...and I'm positive this wasn't just any set of offset. I've been looking around the web for the last 5 mins trying to find a set of offset clubs that matches the ridiculous hook that these clubheads had. None can be found. My father in law explained to me why some people use offset, I understood, it's easy to understand, but with these particular clubs my hands would have needed to be like 2 full feet in front of me in order to connect and have the ball go relatively straight.

ANYWAY, with all that said, it was a pretty damn good round. I had to play the ball waaaay left because no matter how far I got my hands out in front of me at impact, the ball would want to shoot right because of those ridiculous clubs. I felt awkward...but confident. 80% of the shots were hit flush, and I honestly think I might putt better left handed. Left handed putting feels more comfortable. Perhaps I'm just right eye dominant, I have no idea. 

I plan on going to a different course hopefully this weekend to see if they have a better set of lefties. Than I can get a better idea of where the ball is going. It all seemed pretty good though, chipping/pitches were the only shots that I didn't feel confident in. My father in law said he couldn't see much of a difference between my righty and lefty swing. But they do feel very different. I'll need to take video soon to see if I'm even close to being on plane. 

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

I still can't find anything close to the hook they put on these stupid clubs. I need to get a picture of these things. If any of you happen to know what I'm talking about...please post a pic. It's like picture a pole above you...I could use every single one of these clubs to hook onto this pole and pull myself up. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Going Lefty, For a Day