or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Getting a handicap?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting a handicap?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hello Everyone,
What is the process to get a handicap?
I am not that good shoot anywhere from 92-103 depending on the day... But play with some guys that are pretty good and want me to get one
Thanks
Chris
post #2 of 9

I think this explains how to figure out a handicap rather well. 

 

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Golf-Handicap

post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post

Hello Everyone,
What is the process to get a handicap?
I am not that good shoot anywhere from 92-103 depending on the day... But play with some guys that are pretty good and want me to get one
Thanks
Chris

 

Hey Chris, there are a couple of different ways.

 

The easiest is to get on-line and check out your local state golf association.  Most will allow you to sign up for a USGA authorized handicap right on-line.  You'll be given a GHIN number (don't mess around with anyone that doesn't provide an actual GHIN number as it may not be acceptable everywhere for competitive play) and will be able to post scores on-line......even through a GHIN app for your smart phone.  Cost is about $25-$30 per year.

 

Another option is to visit a local public course.  Most will offer handicap services for a similar fee.  You don't have to join the club, or even play there.  Before signing up though, make sure that the course allows you to enter scores on-line (it's up to the discretion of the course) or you'll be forced to go to the course to enter all your scores, and in this day and age that's silly.

 

Kudos for wanting to establish a valid handicap.  It's a mark of someone serious about the game, and is a great way to track your own improvement.  Also, if you like, it will open up all sorts of playing opportunities for you that you wouldn't otherwise have available.

 

Here's some light reading from the USGA Handicap Manual.

 

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-04/

 

It will answer any other questions you might have.  Or, if you like, just ask here, and we'll be happy to answer anything we can.

 

:beer:

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks Dave, that is what I was looking for, just signed up online through one of the local courses . . .

post #5 of 9
At most courses do you have to be a member to get the GHIN# and sign up?
post #6 of 9

Depends on what the course offers. Sometimes GHIN or whatever they use comes with membership others offer it a la carte for whatever their fees are. At my former home course the only recognized "clubs" are the men's and ladies league so open to only their members but they do allow guests to post scores at the course. My home course packages it with the memberships they sell for discounted fees and preferred tee times. As mentioned earlier most state associations have a search feature to find recognized clubs accepting members. I only play at the course that host the "club" I belong to maybe 2-3 times a year so most of my scores are away. But club regs state I have to play with at least one member a year so I attend one of their events.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Hey Chris, there are a couple of different ways.

 

The easiest is to get on-line and check out your local state golf association.  Most will allow you to sign up for a USGA authorized handicap right on-line.  You'll be given a GHIN number (don't mess around with anyone that doesn't provide an actual GHIN number as it may not be acceptable everywhere for competitive play) and will be able to post scores on-line......even through a GHIN app for your smart phone.  Cost is about $25-$30 per year.

 

Another option is to visit a local public course.  Most will offer handicap services for a similar fee.  You don't have to join the club, or even play there.  Before signing up though, make sure that the course allows you to enter scores on-line (it's up to the discretion of the course) or you'll be forced to go to the course to enter all your scores, and in this day and age that's silly.

 

 

 

Slightly confusing, for example if Chris had happened to live in Montana and tried to join the MSGA to get a GHIN number.  I only found this out by accident because a friend called and said, "hey I just took up golf three months ago and I'm a 9 index now". So I go to the GHIN website to have a look at their scoring record, nothing. You can check for yourself, go to GHIN.com and look up everyone with the last name Davis in Montana then try here.

 

Long story short you generally only get a GHIN number if your association uses the GHIN service for their member clubs. In my case: "The NHGA provides each member club with installation, training and tech support needed to run the GHIN Handicap Program." If a persons association doesn't use GHIN I'm not sure it makes sense to join an out of state/local area association just to get a GHIN number.


 

@Gibber here in New England all the public courses that I have looked into offer handicap service for a nominal fee like @David in FL said $30-$45 a season. But like @Dave2512 said I think it is good to look into "special" memberships clubs might offer (for example memberships with 10 prepaid rounds at highly discounted rates) in case something especially interesting to your specific needs is offered.

post #8 of 9
You'll note that I specifically recommended that the OP make sure that the service uses the GHIN system, as it's the most widely accepted.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

You'll note that I specifically recommended that the OP make sure that the service uses the GHIN system, as it's the most widely accepted.


Yea I was just pointing out that some people will have to join out of state associations to do that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Getting a handicap?