IGNORED

My Swing (cpainer3)

cpainer3
Note: This thread is 1834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been struggling with my swing lately. I feel like I'm sliding my hips and flipping my hands. I hit almost every shot very thin(no divot) and sky high. I used to hit my 8 iron around 160 yards, and now I am struggling to get it 145.. I also tend to fall back on my heels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Video attached)

@cpainer3,

I moved your post to this section and renamed the thread to match the Member Swings Section rules.

Please fill out this information.

I've been Playing Golf for: 
My current handicap index or average score is: 
My typical ball flight is: 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing I notice is that you seem to be placing the ball at different points in your stance. You won't be able to see a lot of consistency in your ball flights until you start putting that in the same place most of the time. I usually try to put the ball just behind my left arm pit (also right hander) for all my stock shots. YMMV with that ball position, but I think it would be good to find a place in your stance to put your ball routinely

I agree with checking ball position. It could just be the angle of the video, but it does look like you have the ball back of center, which is a bit far back for an 8 iron. If so, I'd address that. You can take two alignment sticks or golf clubs, make a "T" with them, and then put a golf ball in line with intersection of the "T". Then take your stance parallel to the top of the "T", using the perpendicular part to better see where the ball position is. 

Can you post a down the line view of your swing? It looks like your arms are very stiff and straight which makes me think you're reaching for the ball at address. This is a good way to cause inconsistencies because on the downswing you have to get your arms back into this unnatural position. It will also cause a loss of power because it's essentially throwing your arms out and away from the body which is counter to where all the power is. You may not be, but a video looking down the line will help determine that. 

I don't see any problem with your hips sliding. Your foot, knee and left hip look like they line up nicely to me actually. Your upper body looks to be an issue however and you're definitely loosing the angle pretty quick, as in you're casting/early flipping. I can see your head and shoulders are moving really far forward in the downswing. This causes an angle that's too steep to hit the ball so the reaction is to cast/flip the club to dump that angle. It's a massive power loss. So I would say look for some drills to address your head moving forward in the downswing. Look at the swings of pros, they all have their head behind the ball at impact with little to no forward head movement. It's actually more common for the head to move slightly reverse/back in the downswing. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you post a down the line video I'll give you a few more. 

Note: This thread is 1834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!