IGNORED

Your Top 5 Majors of All-Time

ChrisP
Note: This thread is 1848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure if there's a post like this. Couldn't find one but may have missed it. Anyways, today got me thinking of some of the greatest majors I've ever witnessed. I never got a chance to really remember the '86 Masters. I was 5 at the time and didn't get into watching golf until I was around 9. But I've seen some amazing majors over the years and today was definitely a top-5 moment. Not sure I'd put it number one, but it's high up there. 

My top 5:

1) 2013 Open Championship: One of the greatest leaderboards ever and such high drama. You had Tiger, Phil, Scott, Westwood, Cabrera, Zach Johnson and Stenson all in the hunt on the back 9, all crowded at such a historic place, Muirfield. I remember how hard the course was. While Phil isn't my favorite golfer, like Tiger, he's a legend and you pull for legends at certain times. This was one of those days I wanted to see Tiger or Phil win. Amazing final round and finish by Phil. Was one of the collapses by Westwood.

2) 2019 Masters: I'd rank today number 2. Right now it's fresh in my mind so I want to put it number 1, but I think with time it will settle in behind 2013. But damn, today was something. Not much I can really express into words. 

3) 2008 U.S. Open: That battle between Tiger and Rocco both on Sunday and Monday was pretty incredible. Plus Tiger doing it one leg was unreal. Such high drama to end Sunday and great playoff on Monday.

4) 2014 PGA: Another amazing leaderboard of greats....Rory, Phil, Fowler, Stenson, Furyk, Els...and then finishing in the dark the way it did. Was a thrilling Sunday.

5) 2010 US Open: Only because I was there, it was pretty awesome. Had Tiger and Phil in the mix on the back 9. DJ collapsed. Graeme McDowell won.

2009 Open would have been up there if Watson would have won.

Great question! My response is going to be Open heavy (but it's always been my favorite): 

1. 2009 Open: The story of Tom Watson. This is the tournament where I fell in love with golf (I had watched most of the majors going back to the '90s with my Dad and Grandfather before, and I was very familiar with the game coming from a family that loves golf, but this was when I think I first fell in love with the game); the heartbreak on 72 has been unmatched since. 

2. 2010 Masters: I was living in Augusta at the time (serving at Fort Gordon) and this was a big event. I always liked Phil, and it had been a while since he had won. That stretch of eagle - eagle - birdie during the third round I'll never forget. This one just felt really good. 

3. 2007 Open: Harrington was quickly becoming one of my favorite golfers, and his battle with Sergio was epic (his shot into the water, then the tense bridge encounter was fantastic). So many lead changes; and in the end, the good guy pulled through! 

4. 2008 Open: Greg Norman is my all time favorite golfer. His run here really caught my attention; I was hoping he'd pull through and win, but I was happy to see Harrington win back to back. 

5. 2017 Masters: Sergio finally winning; the battle with Rose. Enough said. This was a great tournament, and it was fun to finally watch one of the best players of the last decade win his major.

Honorable Mentions: 

The 2016 Masters (Willett coming from nowhere), 2005 Open, 2009 US Open. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great topic........

T-1.  2004 and 2019 Masters......both just epic "silence the haters" moments and just love both PMick and Tiger

3.   2001 Open Championship.....was in Vegas and the all-night run at the BJ table/strip clubs segued right into Duval's major victory...loved watching that round

4.  1992 Masters.....being a Seattle buy, Freddy winning the Masters was one of the all-timers for me

5.  2010 Masters.....all Phil....instant classic

Honorable Mention......1991 PGA....very early in my "golf junkie" life, but the John Daly story was just crazy

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1986 Masters. Wasn't even playing golf then, but it was the most exciting thing I witnessed up to that time. The roars were epic.

2004 Masters. Still before I was playing, but couldn't help but pull for Phil to win his first major.

2014 U.S. Open. Martin Kaymer by nine over the rest of the field. Play Pinehurst #2 that fall. Didn't break 80 [81] and played my butt off. For him to play that well on those upside down Woks..........ridiculous. And from 700 yards back of where I played.

2015 Masters. Spieth was in another world. Hate that he didn't par the last hole to set a new scoring record. [I hope he gets it back together]

2017 Open. The last 6 holes were historic.

Honorable mention. 1999 U.S. Open for sentimental reasons.  Still before I was playing. Loved the way Payne Stewart dressed. Love watching his swing.

Im only listing ones ive watched or seen in person. My top 5 are

5. 2016 Open Championship - The last 11-12 holes of that tournament were some of the best golf ive ever watched. Stenson and Mickleson were in another universe. 

4. 2019 Masters - Even if you rememove tigers return to glory victory, there was a lot going on in that one. 

3. 2008 US Open - This one cemented Tiger as the ultimate warrior for me. And it was great competition too.  

2. 1996 Masters - Not so much a good tournament, just because i remember the disaster so vividly. It was first crossover golf story i can remember. Everyone was talking about Normans meltdown. 

1. 1997 Masters - Historic. 

Note: This thread is 1848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!