Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ballgame59

"Best Game Improvement" Irons 2014/2015

19 posts / 2867 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to replace my Wilson Tour RX (entry level) clubs and heard that I should look into "Game improvement" clubs since I am just starting. 

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $230 since I'll still have to buy the other clubs.

I do have the opportunity to pick up these below for between $75-$160 but it was suggested that I try and get something within the last 4-5 years.

Callaway: Big Bertha X12, X14 Steelhead and Hawkey titanium

Taylormade: TP 360 XD

Titeist: DCI Gold 981

Cleveland: TA 7 Tour Action

Ping: i3T+ Blade Red Dot , i3T Blackdot O-size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ballgame59 said:

heard that I should look into "Game improvement" clubs since I am just starting. 

You might check the Maltby Playability Factor for ideas in the "Game Improvement" category. You might be surprised that some older (and less expensive) clubs are more forgiving than the newest, if that's what you seek. Also, do NOT forget to research the right shaft for your swing speed. A competent club seller can help you with this. That said, some will tell you to get blades and learn to play into them. Up to you, but I'm an old guy and my own golf goals nowadays are such that I play high forgiveness clubs and shafts that fit my swing speed and assist my shots. Best of luck in this great adventure, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

You might check the Maltby Playability Factor for ideas in the "Game Improvement" category. You might be surprised that some older (and less expensive) clubs are more forgiving than the newest, if that's what you seek. Also, do NOT forget to research the right shaft for your swing speed. A competent club seller can help you with this. That said, some will tell you to get blades and learn to play into them. Up to you, but I'm an old guy and my own golf goals nowadays are such that I play high forgiveness clubs and shafts that fit my swing speed and assist my shots. Best of luck in this great adventure, -Marv

Thanks! I'll check it out here in a few. As well as the Adams mentioned above.

Edited by Ballgame59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like you're pretty new, and forgiveness would be a big factor in a good club for you.  

Those Callaways are a really forgiving club and will consistently give you extra distance.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, lastings said:

sounds like you're pretty new, and forgiveness would be a big factor in a good club for you.  

Those Callaways are a really forgiving club and will consistently give you extra distance.  

 

Yes, pretty new. I've actually owned a set of clubs for about 22 years but have only played about 15 times during that time so I do consider myself new. 

Which Callaways were you referring to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ballgame59 said:

Yes, pretty new. I've actually owned a set of clubs for about 22 years but have only played about 15 times during that time so I do consider myself new. 

Which Callaways were you referring to? 

either one.   they are both basically the same.  The X14s are newer, but the difference is negligible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, lastings said:

either one.   they are both basically the same.  The X14s are newer, but the difference is negligible.  

Thanks! That does help. I also am going to look at some Mizuno JPX  800 Pro irons tomorrow. 

Edited by Ballgame59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid the TP/Pro irons and blade type clubs, especially if you are inconsistent with your swing.  It gives very little forgiveness on off-centre hits.  There is a reason many people recommend GI/SGI clubs.  They do not require you to hit the centre or be penalised a great deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a set of Ping G25s sitting in my garage, 7,8,9,W,U,S, black dot (standard) that I used for a couple of years. I use hybrids for anything higher then a 7 iron. But if you are interested let me know, say $150 plus shipping. I purchased new Cleveland Launchers so I don't use the G25s anymore. They are in good shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I have a set of Ping G25s sitting in my garage, 7,8,9,W,U,S, black dot (standard) that I used for a couple of years. I use hybrids for anything higher then a 7 iron. But if you are interested let me know, say $150 plus shipping. I purchased new Cleveland Launchers so I don't use the G25s anymore. They are in good shape.

BTW, shafts are graphite regular flex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

BTW, shafts are graphite regular flex.

I'm going to try some Mizuno JPX 800's and some Callaway Rzrs tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, cooke119 said:

I have a set of Ping G25s sitting in my garage, 7,8,9,W,U,S, black dot (standard) that I used for a couple of years. I use hybrids for anything higher then a 7 iron. But if you are interested let me know, say $150 plus shipping. I purchased new Cleveland Launchers so I don't use the G25s anymore. They are in good shape.

Thanks but I'm going to have to pass on the Pings. I'm pretty short and was told that I would most likely need orange or red dot (or have them adjusted). I appreciate the offer though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2019 at 4:36 PM, Ballgame59 said:

I'm going to try some Mizuno JPX 800's and some Callaway Rzrs tomorrow.

What happened? Best, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Ballgame59 said:

Thanks but I'm going to have to pass on the Pings. I'm pretty short and was told that I would most likely need orange or red dot (or have them adjusted). I appreciate the offer though. 

No problem, good luck with you search. Let us know what you decide to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

What happened? Best, -Marv

The Mizunos were Dynamic Gold X100 steel. Was like swinging a telephone pole. The RZRS were not at that store (I got that mixed up) but I did swing Callaway X14 Steelheads just so I could experience a difference from my Wilson Box store set. I have to admit that I did like those. I was skeptical about noticing a difference but I did.  An old friend of mine is the golf pro at a local Muni . They get used clubs in all of the time and we both really liked the Mizunos for me - if they had different shafts. He said that with the X-14's, I'd still have to have them adjusted to something like 2-3 degrees flat. I think that's what he said. With the Mizunos, I'd have to send them away but the X-14, he could have them done locally. I'm learning so much that my head is spinning haha.

 

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

No problem, good luck with you search. Let us know what you decide to buy.

Thanks! Will do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ballgame59 I have a had Mizunos re-shafted in the past with lightweight shafts soft-stepped to be a little softer. Not inexpensive, but believe me, the right shaft for you will add to the enjoyment. I bought pulls from new clubs to keep costs down, and all were professionally installed, frequency tuned, etc. Best, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Day 80 - Ankle is feeling better, taking some full backswings. Focusing on a steeper club at A3.
    • Day 351 Some indoor yardstick putting drill tonight. 
    • Thanks. Is it wrong if I make two assumptions? 1. The difference between a "top" and a "thin" is where on the ball the clubhead strikes it, and 2. In either case it's usually the leading edge of the club contacting the ball instead of the "sweet spot"?
    • What a round of golf today. I went to play Hillandale today (par 71, 6026 from whites), which is one of my favorite courses in the Durham area. I shot my lowest round (80) here back in July. I didn’t shoot another 80, but I did shoot 87. It was an interesting round, probably my most lopsided one in terms of nines, with nines of 48-39. On the front nine, I surprisingly hit the ball well, but once I got around 100 yards, I went to pieces. A triple bogey from 70 yards (laying two) on the par-5 second hole. A double from 120 on the sixth. Same on the eighth. Then I four-putted the ninth from 12 feet for triple, missing two three-footers in a row. I got my first GIR on the 11th and two-putted for par. Then I hit my drive so far on the twelfth that I had just a pitch shot in (330 from whites). Hit that on and barely missed my birdie putt. I played holes 13-17 at +3, then birdied 18. One interesting thing was that through twelve holes, I had hit every fairway (ten total). Then I missed three out of the last four (the other two holes were the par-3s). Putting and short game were horrible on the front (21 putts), but I redeemed myself on the back (16 putts). Starting this coming week, the team is meeting at the course to play every Wednesday afternoon at 3:00, and I feel my game is solid.
    • Fair to say I've put far too much practice in due to the lockdown situation in the UK. The mat was brand new 2 months ago 😁😁
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BW859
      BW859
      (40 years old)
    2. grantisadrummer
      grantisadrummer
      (28 years old)
    3. NuclearMike
      NuclearMike
      (65 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...