IGNORED

15th club...

Crafty
Note: This thread is 5933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What would you add for a 15th club?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • Iron
    • Wedge
    • Putter

I was hitting balls the other day with my dad and noticed that he had 15 clubs in his bag. I jabbed him about it and told him he had no excuse for not beating me now. As we continued talking, we started to debate how much a 15th club would help the average player. My dad argued that a 20 handicap could become a 15 or 16 with the help of one more club. I disagreed. I feel that it would help less because it is the ability to hit the ball consistently and feel your way around the greens. Thus, I would like to pose a couple of questions:

How much help would a 15th club help you(__ shots a round)?

What would you add if you could add another club?

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I would add another wedge (probably a 58*) just to have it in the bag as another option.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I'm not sure it would produce such a drop in handicap, although, for single digit handicappers, an extra wedge would problably help them get down to scratch. It wouldn't really help high handicappers that much because they usually don't use as much clubs(I really only use my 3-5-7-9 irons)

Since I just added a 5 wood to my mix, I'm faced with abandoning my beloved antique 'chipper'.

I'd keep the chipper as my 15th club.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I know I would change my wedges setup to 48-52-56-60. That way I could be more aggresive with the 95 yard shot, a place where I often find myself, but is somewhat between a 9 o clock 54 and a hard 60.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I'd add a hybrid seeing as i dont have one. If i could hi t it well I'd prob take off 1 stroke a game.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I voted fairway wood because if I added a 15th club it would probably be a 3+ wood, although I'd really use it as a 2nd higher lofted driver. It wouldn't get used but for maybe 2 or 3 shots a round at most. Otherwise I've got all the clubs I need in my bag for pretty much every shot I need to make.

I doubt if adding a 15th club would help most golfers. According to the USGA statistics I've seen the average handicap hasn't changed much in about 25 years and we all know clubs and balls have gotten much better in that time period.

Crappy hacker golfers (like most of us are) are still crappy hacker golfers even with all the great equipment we can afford.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I haven't had a lob wedge for quite a while now. I was thinking of dumping my 19 degree hybrid and putting my lob back in the bag.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Sometimes, I wonder if I'd play better with ten clubs instead of fourteen. But I don't wonder enough to try it.

If I were to add a 15th club, it would only be on courses where I'm playing for the first time, and then I'd take a high-bounce sand wedge. The courses I play, low-bounce seems to work better for the sand. Alternately, I'd try a belly putter for short putts. Or is it long putts they work better on? Either way, I'd consider two putters, one for long shots and one for short ones.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would carry an extra 56 degree wedge (full swing 80 yards, more to fill the 70 yard 3/4 swing). I probably would shave 1 stroke every 4 rounds. I rarely find myself in the 70 yard range, probably once every 10 rounds. If I need to hit an 80 yard shot, I would just use a 3/4 swing on my 51 degree wedge.

I use a 60 degree lob wedge around the greens. Short pitch/chip with little green to work with. Hit all shots out of green-side bunkers with my 60 degree.

In The Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°, Fujikura RE*AX 65g Stiff
Hybrid: CLK 17°, Exsar HS2 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60, Project X 6.0, 3i / MP-32, Project X 6.0, 4i-PWWedges: MP-T Black Ni, 51.06 / 56.13 / 60.08Putter: Studio Style Newport 2, 34" / 340gBall: e5+

i voted wedge - I only have 3 (47, 54, 58). Like you Crafty - i'd change to 52, 56 and 60 and stick with my 47 in the set.

Whether it would reduce my handicap is a different story!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I think the rules should be changed so we could only carry maybe 12 clubs. However, if we could have 15 I'd add a 5 or maybe 7 wood.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

I have a pretty big distance gap between my 3-wood and 3 hybrid. So if I were to add an additional club, it would be a 2 hybrid.

I don't think it would help my handicap that much. For the courses I play at every year, it may only help 3-4 times a year on a couple of long par 3's.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

My 15th club would be a cut-down 13-deg driver to use off the tee when hitting the driver brings trouble into play.

I think taking one of those high-lofted drivers will allow the player to take advantage of all the technology and that huge 460cc head in the 3-wood type club.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

i'd put my 9 wood back in my bag - just because when i had it everyone wanted to try it and loved it - i still hate it - thats why it got the quick boot when i got my hybrid.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!