IGNORED

Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black Irons

Note: This thread is 1794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

They look nice, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, they are sexy... and they play sexy. while they are classified as "Blades". they have less of a blade feel. Hogan put in the "Progressive Perimeter Weighting" system which is what the first GI and SGI clubs were all in on back in the 80's. It's subtle- but there is forgiveness there. A sweet spot hit is still like butter as a blade should be, but a miss isn't nearly as penal as a blade of the 60's and 70's would be. But that forgiveness is NOT from the size of the clubhead. the heads are smaller than GI and SGI clubs so you don't have quite as large of a margin to miss. If you are fairly consistent in hitting center strikes, then Blacks could work for you. If not- try the other, more forgiving models in their lineup

The funny thing is I have a set of Ping G20s which are GI irons. I hit them alright, but I took out my old Tommy Armour EVO blades and shot an even better round than the G20s. Which makes me think maybe there is more of a mental aspect to the aesthetics / love you have for certain irons that transfer into better play. I love the blades so much more I think I honestly play better with them. 

1 hour ago, RayG said:

Yes, they are sexy... and they play sexy. while they are classified as "Blades". they have less of a blade feel. Hogan put in the "Progressive Perimeter Weighting" system which is what the first GI and SGI clubs were all in on back in the 80's. It's subtle- but there is forgiveness there. A sweet spot hit is still like butter as a blade should be, but a miss isn't nearly as penal as a blade of the 60's and 70's would be. But that forgiveness is NOT from the size of the clubhead. the heads are smaller than GI and SGI clubs so you don't have quite as large of a margin to miss. If you are fairly consistent in hitting center strikes, then Blacks could work for you. If not- try the other, more forgiving models in their lineup

Question for you. When I have seen the fort worth irons reviewed I noticed that they only had the lofts on the club heads instead of the PW, 9, 8, etc. Now on the website I only see the numbers not the lofts. Did they change that? 

Yes, they are back to the "normal" method of putting the Iron number (6,7,8) instead of the lofts (30,34,38). The Hi-Iron Utility clubs still have the loft on the sole.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!