IGNORED

Carrying vs Cart, Less Than Full Set of Clubs, Amatuer Golf, Loft Gapping Issues?

Note: This thread is 1784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone here only carry their bag, no cart, with a less than full set but more clubs than a half set???

Just got done playing with a half set, leaving the push cart at home & found it way more fun, less tiring & avg scoring.  I play twice a month at the most, score btwn 78-86.  So decided to change my bag to an almost full set, just light enough to carry a full 18 holes with no back issues and sell off my old set (Driver, putter not changing)

Here it is Srixon Z-355 10.5* //// M4 3HL 16.5* //// Nike VR Pro Hybrid 21* //// Cally X2 Hot 6 iron 26* //// Cally X2 Hot Pro 7 (31*)-PW (45*) //// Cleveland RTX 2 GW (bent to 51*) & SW/LW 58* & Odyssey Marksman putter.

Carry bag- Cally Hyper Lite 1.5+ dual strap I have had for a couple rounds.

So since I just play for fun a couple times a month, i don't think this loft gaping will make much of a difference to my game, I mean I am not going pro so do I really need all those clubs to have fun?  My goal is to max out fun.  With the carry bag it is always easily accessible, my hands are free all the time which is nice.  Pushing a cart can get tiring and starts to feel like work after a while, maneuvering it around the green can be a pain, pushing it up hills or pulling it back when walking downhill sucks too.  Sharing a driving cart with a buddy when your not hitting the same distance or direction, not getting the same exercise as walking and paying more for golf is not my cup of tea.  11 clubs should about max out the golf bag weight that I can carry comfortably without hurting my back.  Love my driver it's head heavy at 211 lbs, D7 sw & can fade/draw it, avg drive 260-280ish carry.  M4 3HL should give me enough distance, easier to control/hit than 3 wood because of the loft (since I am not playing everyday) & should stop on the green pretty good. Nike hybrid fits that gaping about right is a smaller head so I should be able to work it left and right with a lower trajectory but give me help in the rough or bad lie as well.  X2 Hot 6 iron is more forgiving, longer, higher flight and 1 degree stronger than the X2 Hot Pro 6 iron so it should fit in the gap between hybrid and irons better and blending well into the x2 hot pro.  As I said I am a high ball hitter so don't want irons that will balloon on me but I really don't need that buttery soft forged feel on the course.  The X2 hot pro irons are cast irons so should feel more solid less buttery but should feel decent enough with the dampening built into them and will not wear out like forged irons.  Also I have found I play best with a standard lie in my irons so I don't need a forged setup that allows you to bend them upright or flat.  They have flighted Project X 95 shafts and progressive CG (higher in the short irons/lower in the long irons) so this combo with the shorter irons should not balloon on me.  Loft gaping expands to 6 degrees between PW/GW and 7 degrees between GW & SW/LW, we will see how that goes.  I can manipulate the short irons pretty good with closing/opening the face when I need to depending on the chipping/flop shots I need.  I have a love/hate relationship with the lob wedge so a 58* might be a nice sweet spot for me.  This set up will also force me to improve my short game I am guessing.  Added bonus- these clubs are pretty cheap to buy on ebay.

The Callaway Hyper Lite 1.5+ bag is super light, the legs are short so I can leave them kicked out the whole round even when carrying the bag, so I never have to slam the bag on the ground to get the legs to kick out with a normal stand bag.  With the bag lower to the ground it will not tip over in the wind and is easier to park on a incline.  The bag has a nice handle at the top to grab, tip it up & put the club back in the bag.  To keep the bag as light as possible I just carry a small bottle of sunscreen, 6-10 balls, a few tees and a small water bottle.  Carry a cheap gps range finder in my pocket to get approx yardage (don't need exact yardage- not on the tour).

So this my thinking on a lighter bag I can carry (old man not a college kid anymore that can carry a full set of clubs).  Interested to know if anyone here is doing this- carrying their bag in a light weight setup that is not a half set but not a full set instead of using a cart???

Still waiting wedges and irons I bought on ebay.  Once I play with them a couple times I will update this on my experience, so if my reasoning works in the real world.  

I do this on par 3 courses. I take along a driver / 4H / irons 5,7,9 / three wedges / putter.

Yes, I take along the driver. It serves only as a handle so I can keep the bag balanced on my back.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

I do this on par 3 courses. I take along a driver / 4H / irons 5,7,9 / three wedges / putter.

Yes, I take along the driver. It serves only as a handle so I can keep the bag balanced on my back.

That's a whole 'nother thread.  How many of us, when carrying, use the driver head as a handle?  I know I do...

I carry often. As often as allowed to. Some courses make you take cart. But candidly...11 clubs vs 14...No difference. I keep my stuff in bag at minimum. three balls tops...No stuff. Full set. Could I carry less...Yes. Have I ...Yes. A few times when the weather was miserable and I was far away and playing no matter what. Head covers off. Even irons out. Bag gets seriously wet and gets much heavier...But under normal play. I like carrying because I move less. Bag goes where I go. Pushing those carts is so much more walking. I'm 62 and no spring chicken...It's best to do some prep to be ready to carry. Throw on a back pack and do a few hikes for a few weeks. My golf bag is such that at full...I can hold it straight arm out with not much effort. The double strap bags are so adjustable and comfortable. I find walking and carrying more enjoyable.   

Whatever floats your boat! I used to walk and carry with a full set in a light weight stand bag. I hiked courses that looked like tracks for mountain goats.Eventually my knees caught up with me, and I had to dump my bag on a pull cart. 

I loved carrying and walking! You could take the direct route to your ball with no missteps. But eventually, your body will force you to relent! Especially if you've played other sports that cause joint damage. My knees are shot, so I ride. i'll walk a hole or two, but there's no way I could hike the whole 18!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Whatever floats your boat! I used to walk and carry with a full set in a light weight stand bag. I hiked courses that looked like tracks for mountain goats.Eventually my knees caught up with me, and I had to dump my bag on a pull cart. 

I loved carrying and walking! You could take the direct route to your ball with no missteps. But eventually, your body will force you to relent! Especially if you've played other sports that cause joint damage. My knees are shot, so I ride. i'll walk a hole or two, but there's no way I could hike the whole 18!

Oh Buckeye, if I could wave a magic wand and give you your knees back I would do it in an instant.

11 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Oh Buckeye, if I could wave a magic wand and give you your knees back I would do it in an instant.

Me Too Me Too !!!!!! 

Years of jumping out of airplanes with 80lbs of equipment and an M16 .......  Center in Football, Catcher in FP Softball.. Fullback in Soccer..  running 6 miles a days 6 days a week........ I don't regret it, but I am paying for it now..... :-)

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I have never carried my own bag.  The advantage of living in a country with cheap labour is that I use a caddie, or I use a trolley.  I fail to understand how carrying is better than a trolley.

I currently have 11 clubs in my bag though I wouldn't mind getting it up to 14 even though I use a trolley whenever possible.  It is only when I am pulling uphill that I notice the weight of the bag.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Carrying only 9 or 10 clubs is more challenging and can force you to do some creative shot making.  

Driver :cobra:  Fly-Z+ 

3W, 5W :bridgestone:  J33

4-PW :wilsonstaff: D9

52, 55, 60  :wilson: Harmonized

Putter :wilsonstaff: 8882

• iacas changed the title to Carrying vs Cart, Less Than Full Set of Clubs, Amatuer Golf, Loft Gapping Issues?
On 6/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, ZenShot said:

Carrying only 9 or 10 clubs is more challenging and can force you to do some creative shot making.  

So I went with my 11 club set up described above for a round last weekend, bag was nice and light at 16lbs to carry, shot an 82 which is pretty average for me, didn't have any issues with gaping and I did not feel it was anymore challenging than having a 14 club set up.  I might of broken 80 if it was not for some poor strikes with the 4 wood, thinking of dropping that club (my ideas on that in a another topic).  Was a lot of fun, really enjoy walking with a carry bag and less clubs, it feels more natural for recreational golf................maybe if I was playing in a pro-am I would throw more clubs in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!