Jump to content
IGNORED

Who Pushes Off With Their Trail Leg?


Recommended Posts

Just now, chspeed said:

I did. JT gets almost all his pressure to the front leg very early. By the time extends the right leg, it only has a bit of his body pressure on it.

ok, so you must have noticed that he pushed off his trail foot during transition and caused the fabric to move backwards, right? and this would explain how he got almost all his pressure to the front leg.

if he just fell onto his front leg to get the pressure there the fabric would never have been pushed backwards. does this make sense?

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

 

if he just fell onto his front leg to get the pressure there the fabric would never have been pushed backwards. does this make sense?

I'm not sure what you're referring too about fabric. But if you look at seconds 25 & 26 in video, that's transition. All his weight goes forward, but the right leg gains flex and the right foot comes off the ground. That's not pushing.

The only time I see extending the right leg is through impact, but that's all pushing on the left leg not the right one. He's just doing this so fast and spinning that the right leg extends too. As you can see from the force plates right then, there is very little measurable pressure in the right leg then at all.

1265998819_ScreenShot2019-06-07at2_52_38PM.thumb.png.bbfca9066241ce4f842a66391a1fb9b1.png

 

Edited by chspeed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

I'm not sure what you're referring too about fabric. But if you look at seconds 25 & 26 in video, that's transition. All his weight goes forward, but the right leg gains flex and the right foot comes off the ground. That's not pushing.

The only time I see extending the right leg is through impact, but that's all pushing on the left leg not the right one. He's just doing this so fast and spinning that the right leg extends too. As you can see from the force plates right then, there is no measurable pressure in the right leg then at all.

1265998819_ScreenShot2019-06-07at2_52_38PM.thumb.png.bbfca9066241ce4f842a66391a1fb9b1.png

 

the fabric on the surface of the boditrak mat just behind his trail foot.

look at how it bunches up just before he begins the downswing. this is because he is pushing off with his trail foot. see what i'm talking about now?

if you put something slippery under his trail foot it would slip out just as he begins the downswing. this is because he's putting pressure there, he's not falling forward.

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
29 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

here's a video of JT pushing off with the trail foot. pay careful attention to the fabric on the boditrak mat at 25 seconds. he pushes off with his trail foot to shift pressure to the lead foot, causing the fabric to move backwards. no push off would mean no fabric movement there.

also looks like he pushes off pretty hard with the trail toe just before impact. 

 

It’s clear to me now you don’t know how to read a pressure trace.

JT is doing no such thing.

  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

the fabric on the surface of the boditrak mat just behind his trail foot.

look at how it bunches up just before he begins the downswing. this is because he is pushing off with his trail foot. see what i'm talking about now?

He's shifting pressure to the back foot. That's what you're seeing.

Then in transition, he shifts it over to his front foot while bending his right leg and getting it off the ground. That's not pushing.

After getting it to 100% on the left leg at impact, then he falls back a bit to his right.

 

8 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

if you put something slippery under his trail foot it would slip out just as he begins the downswing. this is because he's putting pressure there, he's not falling forward.

That's because he is changing direction, not because he's "pushing off". Remember physics, for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. moving pressure to your left side will cause an equal force in the other direction, which would cause him to slip.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

ok, so you must have noticed that he pushed off his trail foot during transition and caused the fabric to move backwards, right? and this would explain how he got almost all his pressure to the front leg.

if he just fell onto his front leg to get the pressure there the fabric would never have been pushed backwards. does this make sense?

You are trying to explain the physics of a golf swing by using analysis of his pant fabric?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

82% forward.

946EE8BC-5A4B-4528-9397-0EE9CE38BA64.png

  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

He's shifting pressure to the back foot. That's what you're seeing.

Then in transition, he shifts it over to his front foot while bending his right leg and getting it off the ground. That's not pushing.

After getting it to 100% on the left leg at impact, then he falls back a bit to his right.

 

he's at the top of his backswing and has already loaded into his right side. what you're seeing is a subtle push off with the trail foot to get his pressure to the right side.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

It’s clear to me now you don’t know how to read a pressure trace.

JT is doing no such thing.

i can read a pressure trace just fine. can you explain how JT shifts his pressure? he certainly doesn't fall.

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


@hoselpalooza, if you need more proof, even though you have it from the biggest experts in the golf swing. Here's more.

Edited by chspeed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
1 minute ago, hoselpalooza said:

I can read a pressure trace just fine.

You can’t. I’m done for now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

You are trying to explain the physics of a golf swing by using analysis of his pant fabric?

are you serious? read the comment again. he pushes the fabric on the boditrak mat backwards with his trail foot just before beginning the downswing.

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

 

i can read a pressure trace just fine. can you explain how JT shifts his pressure? he certainly doesn't fall.

Read that article. They explain it.

You can rest assured that what you're thinking isn't crazy. Everyone thought that people pushed off. But it's been disproved.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, chspeed said:

Read that article. They explain it.

You can rest assured that what you're thinking isn't crazy. Everyone thought that people pushed off. But it's been disproved.

thanks for sharing, but how is that article relevant to the golf swing or throwing a baseball?

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, hoselpalooza said:

thanks for sharing, but how is that article relevant to the golf swing or throwing a baseball?

Because just like in running and pitching, gravity is the same force that JT uses to get his pressure forward.

Edited by chspeed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

82% forward.

946EE8BC-5A4B-4528-9397-0EE9CE38BA64.png

yeah, that's never been in debate. the question is HOW DOES HE GET OFF HIS RIGHT SIDE?

i've already pointed out that he pushes the fabric on the boditrak mat backwards (because he's pushing off with his trail foot) and nobody can provide an alternative.

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

 

i've already pointed out that he pushes the fabric on the boditrak mat backwards (because he's pushing off with his trail foot) and nobody can provide an alternative. 

I did. Getting his pressure forward caused a reaction in the opposite direction. He didn't push it.

Please stop trying to use common sense to explain this. It doesn't work. Common sense is wrong in this case. See the data.

Edited by chspeed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Because just like in running and pitching, gravity is the same force that JT uses to get his pressure forward.

i never said gravity wasn't used during the golf swing or when throwing a baseball. in fact i mentioned the push from a baseball mound happens after a slight fall forward. 

2 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I did. Getting his pressure forward caused a reaction in the opposite direction. He didn't push it.

i disagree. looking at the trace and the physical mat you can clearly see the fabric start to get pushed backwards before he completely gets off his right side. 

still waiting for someone to specify how he gets off his right side. here's the closest i've found.

Quote

The way I do that is to get off my right heel as fast as I can while pushing hard against the ground with my left foot and turning my hips open.

Thomas_FIa.jpg

Justin Thomas shows you how to carry a driver twice your weight.

i have a really hard time believing he gets off of his right heel as fast as he can without any pushing. 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator

It’s been explained several times in other topics. Just because someone hasn’t posted in this thread in the last 15 minutes doesn’t mean "nobody has told you." Look it up for yourself.

When you look at a pressure mat reading, pushing would spike the pressure under that foot. (Other things can do it too, like the arms coming down, which moves them from more centered to more rightward, hence the "butt cleft" seen in Grant Waite's traces, for example.) Justin Thomas being 82/18 (front/trail) is NOT an indication that he's "pushed off" with his right foot at all.

The short version: you fall a little bit and your core muscles bump your hips forward a little. Stand there with your hands on your hips and just push your left hip out - you use your core muscles to do so, you don't push off with your right leg. From there the left leg extends which really spikes the pressure/GRF under the left foot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • Just turned on the TV. Damn.. cut at +6?? WTF happened? Wind? Greens?
    • I’m actively saying “miss it” or “ hit it in the water” on every Dechamblow shot. Can’t stand the guy and his phony scientist schtick.
    • I’m glad Mike didn’t quit and good on him for posting. In the past he’s talked about losing shots with his short game and it seems that’s the area he needs the most practice.    I still think he’s playing golf swing and not golf. Great on the range but it doesn’t translate. Maybe he needs to read LSW?
    • Wow. Ouch. I don't know how anyone could genuinely come away with any positives given the context. I'm going to give it a listen.
    • Their recent podcast recapped a 2 day NC Amateur event that Mike participated in this February. Playing off a 6 handicap, he shot a 97 and a 102. Kudos to him for facing up to it with a positive attitude. If I had posted similar scores in year 7 of my quest, I would probably just shut the entire project down.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...