IGNORED

Can you break 100 at Torrey Pines in US Open setup?

seattlemudder
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think you can break 100 at Torrey Pines a week before the US Open?

• Yes, I can definitely break 100 at Torrey Pines
    • No way can I break 100 at Torrey Pines

What about those Oakmont CC members who have 10 handicaps. What scores do they make on oakmont from the back or pro t's. Are they really 10 handicappers or are they really plus handicappers at other courses?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about those Oakmont CC members who have 10 handicaps. What scores do they make on oakmont from the back or pro t's. Are they really 10 handicappers or are they really plus handicappers at other courses?

If you play to a 10 at a difficult course then you would play to a lesser number at an easier place. Your index is adjusted to the course rating/slope so it is possible to be an 8.0 index but have a course handicap of 10 at a challenging course or even from the pro tees at many courses.

I don't know about the Oakmont members, but you need to realize that slope for the US Open is off the chart compared to regular everyday conditions. I am sure the members don't enjoy the narrowed fairways and 5 inches of rough. I do think that you get to the point of mathematical improbability especially when you figure in forced carries and other conditions that would be really unfair for your average weekend warrior. Last year's US Open saw the field of @ 120 shoot more than 40 rounds over 80. These are guys that play golf for a living. To say that a guy that is a 10 is going to break 100 at the US Open in his first try is a real stretch.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Last year's US Open saw the field of @ 120 shoot more than 40 rounds over 80. These are guys that play golf for a living. To say that a guy that is a 10 is going to break 100 at the US Open in his first try is a real stretch.

I agree but I think it is possible as long as the 10 handicapper does the following:

1) Good course management - means play within your abiltiies...for example if you are not accurate off the tee then play safe (3 wood or irons off the tee) and try to put yourself in position to be putting for Par and take your bogeys and once in a while double (3 putt because it will happen on this course)...remember 18 bogies equals a score of 90 and with a few doubles you break 100. 2) Practice your short game religiously before hand (chipping and putting) on the fastest greens you can find. 3) Play under pressure beforehand to get the sensation of playing with celebs and on TV...that is one of the biggest differences between Amatuers and Pros in any sport. There are thousands of guys who can bomb it off the end of the driving range but put them in a tournament and they spray it all over the place because of nerves...I believe in what someone said in an earlier post that you can play more focused in front of people (celebs and TV) but you have to expierence it somehow to prepare. Other then that easier said then done !

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

That used to be the case. Amateurs from tough courses would clean up in handicap events. The stroke rating and course slope for each set of tees took care of that - except for the just plain lying sandbaggers.

You can get the lowdown on handicaps at the USGA site: http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/handicaps.html " The USGA Handicap System™ enables golfers of all skill levels to compete on an equitable basis. This section of the site will help golfers understand why having a Handicap Index® is important. There are links to "The USGA Handicap System" manual, the USGA's handicapping equivalent of "The Rules of Golf", and a Course Handicap™ calculator to allow players to convert their Handicap Index to the Course Handicap for any course that has been properly rated. Articles and resources are available for anyone interested in starting a golf club or for current Handicap Committee chairmen who need assistance in maintaining handicaps for their respective clubs. The current version of the USGA Handicap System went into effect on Jan. 1, 2008, and the next revision will take effect on Jan. 1, 2012. Any modifications to the System are noted on this Web site."

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I agree but I think it is possible as long as the 10 handicapper does the following:

Like you said, easier said then done. I think that we are forgetting that this is not the course that most of us play between 6200 and 6800 yards. This beast will be playing 7600 yards so the "hit an iron off the tee" strategy may not even get you to the short grass where the fairways start, not to mention there is a 600 yard par 5 and three par 3s over 200 yards and a par 4 that is over 500 yards.

It would be fun to try...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

As we established earlier in the post, Tiger was talking about Oakmont and not Torrey. Although torrey will be an excellent challenge, it will not be as tough as Oakmont was in my opinion. I think That if i played for bogey (Iron off tee, lay up 150 or in, play for two putts), I could break 100 rather easily
(figure i would make 4 or 5 pars and roughly 3-5 doubles playing that way).

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

. . . I think That if i played for bogey (Iron off tee, lay up 150 or in, play for two putts), I could break 100 rather easily

That would be the way to go but for one problem, the forced carry to get into the fairway on most holes will require a -10 to bomb it off the tee with a driver.

I had this experience playing the course the Nationwide players used, tried to use a 3W to get it in play but would come up short in 5" of rough, would then have to hack out with a 9 iron, and still would have plenty of hole to play.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I am not sure but i would like to try!!
In my Hoofer Extreme

DriverBurner Stock Shaft 9.5

1 Iron Hybrid Idea Pro3 Iron HybridIdea ProIronsX-Forged 4-PWWedgesSpin Milled Vokey PutterStudio Select Newport 2BallPro V1

If I brought my "A" game, then yes, I could do it.
"B game? Possibly.
Anything less...no chance.

Take a look at your last 20 rounds. Look closer at the 10 that are not counted in your index (anti-handicap). With all the anticipated pressure and course setup, just figure you're going to score worse than your worse anti-capped round...probably by several strokes.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Agreed. If I brought my A game then no question Yes. Anything less is a big possibly. I think the hardest part of it would be putting on those super slick greens. But I think I'd be on or around most greens in 2 besides the par 5's, where I'd really just have to see how I was spanking the ball on that day before I decided how to play them.

If I brought my "A" game, then yes, I could do it.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

no idea,

anyone want to give me a game at torrey pines!! i imagine the way i play golf i would have a broken back by the turn due to the fact i would have to carry around a thousand golf balls

actually thinking about it - if i just bunted a mid iron of all the tees i should def break a hundred (wouldnt though!)

Hilarious!!

no idea,

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Question is - Torrey Pines in US Open setup conditions not US Open so the crowd, celebs pressure would not be factored in. I don't know the course well enough to know if there are sufficient layup areas for an amatuer to bunt the ball around and stay under 100. A person with a really good short game might have a chance as they could hit the wedges the right yardage to finish under the hole and stay away from the huge putting numbers that would kill most of us.

• 4 weeks later...
My gut instinct would be to say I "can" break 100 there. I haven't shot that high since I was 12. Then again, I've never played Torrey Pines in US Open shape.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Im assuming I would. I dont drive the ball very far (270-280) but im strait and Im a very good scrambler. I think I would break 90 even.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!