IGNORED

Can you break 100 at Torrey Pines in US Open setup?

seattlemudder
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think you can break 100 at Torrey Pines a week before the US Open?

• Yes, I can definitely break 100 at Torrey Pines
    • No way can I break 100 at Torrey Pines

AOne way to do it would be to lay up to lob wedge distance, and put a lot of spin on the ball to get it close, then 2 putt. I would think that the pros will be using a lot of spin to deal with the pin placements and superfast greens. A hi-spin ball would help a lot, but that wouldn't help with accuracy off the tee. A real straight driver and a hi-spin wedge player would have a chance if they could get the speed of the greens right.

Yeah - easy as pie.

Just knock that lob wedge up there and take your easy two putt. Translates as: "You are 60 metres from the green for four after hacking out of rough when your easy lay up 3 wood tee shot fails to carry to the fairway. Then that easy lob wedge which looks perfect in the air lands 3 feet short of where you aim it and it starts rolling. You turn around to put your club in the bag and when you turn around again your ball is still rolling 35 feet away from the pin. It ends up in hollow and you chip short. Your first putt from 30 feet looks Ok until it picks up speed and rolls 20 feet past. Then you hit one to the high side 6 feet away and look up in desapir as that one lips out. Then when you look down your realise that it is still rolling and you are going to 5 putt." As someone else intelligently put it. You could place the ball on each of the 18 greens and call it on in regulation. Many people (who clearly have no idea about the difference between these courses and their local goat track) would not break 90 doing it that way. And that's just having PUTTING issues.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true Lefty731PM! Great post, the putting would kill just about anyone.

I'm thinking of the monster par 4's and 5's and how to deal with them and the need to be really sharp with the LW on a lot of holes to at least have a chance at bogey provided that one could putt the greens.

I've found that not all fast greens are tough, it all depends if the player can get the feel, if they can't then they have no chance at Torrey Pines.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

im a 1.5 handicap and would honestly shoot like 85...so idk about higher handicaps
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

I think if you take one hundred 10 handicappers and let them all play it for the first time, maybe 1 would break 100, and that's a maybe.

The same for 5 handicappers, maybe 15.

2 handicaps.....maybe 30.

I do love that a lot of people seem to think they could do it though. I just don't think most are thinking straight.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Here's a great article from the San Diego Union-Trib about this very subject.

Indeed, a great article. And to think the rough and greens weren't yet in prime Open condition. Plus, these guys are used to this kind of pressure. Again, I say, no chance and welcome a friendly bet with anyone that this guy won't break 110.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

I hate to say it but there are pro's that are going to shoot in the 80s in June with the US Open set up. Remember, those pros are not scratch golfers, they are plus 4s or plus 8s on the type of courses we play. They would come out to your 3 dollar nassau and shoot 65-67 on your home course having never seen it.

One major factor that gets lost is they (the pros) have 2 thousand forecaddies to help them find their balls on every hole. We do not have that luxury so add in another half dozen lost balls during your round. If you teed off with an 8 iron and played everything as a double bogey hole and made a half dozen bogeys then you are in the ball park. That is if you can only double bogey the hole. What about the moose that's out there. I am playing Torrey later in the summer after they detune the course a bit and still expect to get hammered.

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

I'd have to try my ass to come anywhere near 100... I'm very confident off the tee but considering the width of fairways and the type of rough as well as some massive par 4's I dont think I come near that number

thats everything without even starting about the greens...

last week I played and had an alright day for early season, 82... I played with a guy who shot an 87 and he swore he could break 100 at Augusta

wow!

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

i think you could if you really concentrated on each shot like the pros do

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

Put the ball in the fairway, play for bogey.
Easily break 100.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

If I could keep it in play, maybe. The problem is its easy to say just play for bogey, but hit it in the deep rough and you may be playing for double or worst. Ive played some tough tracks before and a couple of Pro-Ams, but never from the tips. I'm afraid my 230 yd drives just wouldn't cut it.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

give me untill im like 14 or 15 and driving it longer than 230 and then i might be able to

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

give me untill im like 14 or 15 and driving it longer than 230 and then i might be able to

Try a 250+ yard carry. Several holes require you to carry that far just to reach the fairway from the championship tees.

In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

Interesting article in this month's Golf Digest. In sum, the USGA is making a concious effort to make the course a little more playable than recent Open Courses. This doesn't mean easy by any means, it just means that rather than a 14 or 15 on the stimp, they are only going to shoot for 13, and they might be nice enough and leave a cut of rough that is actually playable. Plus, it sounds like they aren't going to play Torrey at its longest, so the 7,600 yard number that is quoted in every discussion of the course might not be the actual distance. Plus, you can't forget that while the greens are fast, they physically aren't as bad as the greens on other courses. Sure, there will be some bad pin placements, but Torrey isn't Pinehurst or Oakmont when it comes to borderline-unfair greens.

I still am not sure if I could do it, but all of the above needs to be taken into consideration.

Here in San Diego they call June weather June gloom. That means that its thick, dooey, heavy air at the beach. That translates into shorther ball flight. Problem is it's nearly 8,000 yards from the tips so I say no way is the 10 gonna sniff 99. I see the plan now: hit 8 iron 3 times to the par 4s and barely miss the green, chop it out and 4 putt for quad and then the real fun begins. Even if its close coming down the stretch, the pressure alone will make a 10 wet himself...even with no one watching.

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

My question is, will the 10 be allowed to use a pro caddy? This would greatly help. I'd give it a try if I had a really good caddy who knew the course, that would be worth 6-8 shots easy.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I believe I could, because i shot an 84 from the blues at a pro course near me, which happens to hold an Open qualifier event. Even though it wasn't the pro tee's that i played from, I'm pretty confident that I could break 100. I would be very happy to break 95 though.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!