IGNORED

Shaft Discussion - Hot Shafts? More?

iacas
Note: This thread is 5894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No offense taken!

Enjoy your game

P.s.: My handicap should be around 20 right now, but 25,7 is my offical german handicap and I cannot play a tournament to change my handicap while I am in the US.

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

Iacas and Everardo, do either of you have any feelings on what shafts work best for wedges? Currently I use X100's in my irons, and the regular shafts that come with Titleist Vokey wedges. I need to reshaft one of my wedges (temper temper) and I am wondering if I should go ahead with the regular shaft that came with the wedge or reshaft with X100's or some other more suitable shaft. Any thoughts?

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I have to say that my Aldila NV Stiff in my 5 wood has vastly benefited my game. BEYOND a SHADOW of a DOUBT

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

I play NV65 S in my driver. I love it. I wish it would have come in a normal color though. Black or Silver would have been better for me.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I changed to Project X flighted 6.0 shafts after using DG S300 for a long time. To me they have better feel at impact especially in the scoring irons.

For my driver, fairway, and hybrids is it all about proper trajectory and feel. The Aldila NV65 Stiff for the driver, the UST V2 65 Stiff for the 3W, and the Aldila Proto 85 Stiff for the hybrids give that to me. Buying a shaft because it looks good and it is the latest and greatest, or because the pro's play it, or your buddy loves his are not good reasons to buy them for you. Spend a little time and money and get properly fitted.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

I just had a redboard put in my driver and love it!!!! I had a VS proto and I really liked it also, but when I really went after the ball I had less control of the club head.

My Sticks:
DriverFT-5 9.5° Tour Accuflex Creation 65g Stiff -or-
:R7 Superquad Redboard Stiff
Woods::TEE CB2 Accuflex Creation 80g stiff
Irons:755 cb 4-SWWedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52,56,60Putter::Seemore Black FGP 34.25"

What shafts do most people play? The wrong one (like you didn't know that already), at least for Drivers.

The tempo you swing with has as much to do with the flex of shaft you need as the speed you swing.

Hireko has 3 speed ratings on their shafts, depending your swing tempo (slow, med, or fast.) You can swing over 100 mph and have a slow tempo and swing under 80 and have a fast tempo. Tempo and swing speed are not related, so don't fall into the trap of saying "I have a high swing speed, so I must have a fast tempo.

If you have short, fast tempo, choppy swing you should probably be using a stiffer flex than your swing speed indicates.

If you have a long, smooth tempo swing then you should probably be using a more flexible shaft than your swing speed indicates.

A fast backswing does not mean you load more energy into the shaft. A slower backswing with a softer flex will load just as much energy into the shaft as a fast backswing with a stiffer shaft. The key is to find the right flex that matches your swing style.

The other part is torque (which nobody seems to understand.) A steel shaft has a torque of about 3.0. If you are playing with an X-stiff shaft with a torque of 3.0 or less, you could have saved a lot of money by just putting a steel shaft in your club, as that is pretty much what you have.

Low torque shafts promote pushes/fades/slices. High torque shafts promote pulls/draws/hooks.

If you push the ball a lot, you may want to consider a shaft with a torque of 4.0. If you have a slow, even tempo backswing you may go up to 5.0.

If you tend to pull you want to go in the other direction, lower the torque.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

My Sister works at Taylor Made and has offered me a staff discounted driver with what ever specs I want. She lives in England (I'm in Ireland) so I can't get custom fitted. I went to a local golf shop and tried a few TM models on the launch monitor - I really like the Superquad TP - so have settled on that with a 9.5 degree loft. There's a really big choice of shafts on the TM site. Can ayone recommend one for me.

I am currently hitting an TM R5 9.5 with a stiff stock shaft.
My swing speed averages around 110 and my predominant shape is straight to fade.
I would want a shaft that could help me keep the ball under the wind and also reduce the spin rate which I think is robbing me of a lot of run.

My Sister works at Taylor Made and has offered me a staff discounted driver with what ever specs I want. She lives in England (I'm in Ireland) so I can't get custom fitted. I went to a local golf shop and tried a few TM models on the launch monitor - I really like the Superquad TP - so have settled on that with a 9.5 degree loft. There's a really big choice of shafts on the TM site. Can ayone recommend one for me.

The ball you are playing with factors greatly in the amount of spin you are getting. You might want to switch to a ball that spins, less.

Does your local golf shop have various shafts that you can try?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Just got a set of callaway x-forged irons today with Rifle Project X Flighted shafts with a 5.5 flex (the lighter of two options of stiff shafts). After playing with s300's for the past few years, the s300's dont come CLOSE to the project x. Feel, weight, and progressive bend points through the set for optimal launch angles make this the best, wait, ONLY iron shaft worth getting.

I hear the Aldila Proto VS is really good. I have the NV and am looking for a slightly higer launch angle. Any suggestions anyone?

P.S.- Anyone know how to get the manufacturer logos in the signature?

Driver: Sasquatch Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila NV Stiff
Fw: Sasquatch 4wd Reg.
3 Iron: Burner Stiff
4-Pw: Ta5 Reg.
Sand Wedge: Reg. 588 56Lob Wedge: 588 DSG 60Putter: Studio Stainless NewportBall: Pro-V1 (When I can afford them)Home Course: Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills, AZ

Iacas and Everardo, do either of you have any feelings on what shafts work best for wedges? Currently I use X100's in my irons, and the regular shafts that come with Titleist Vokey wedges. I need to reshaft one of my wedges (temper temper) and I am wondering if I should go ahead with the regular shaft that came with the wedge or reshaft with X100's or some other more suitable shaft. Any thoughts?

On that topic I have heard that having a very soft shaft in your wedges is advantageous, My pro's been doing a bit of research but I haven't really spoken too him much about it. Can anyone shed some light?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Hi Stuart,

Here are a few thoughts,
  • I find the stock shafts in wedges vary quite a bit in frequency and length so I like to re-shaft the wedges to be similar.
  • I usually recommend to use the same shaft and flex (as used in the irons) for the wedges used for full shots.
  • I like to use a launch monitor to measure when a player has too much or too little spin on wedges.
That 2nd bullet point may help you decide in your situation. Please feel free to ask any more questions or add any comments too.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

does neone have a opinion on "N.S. Pro TOUR tournment special 65g type MK-1"? i was looking at this on a 907d2, Thanks!

DRIVER - 907D2 9.5
3 WOOD - FIRESOLE
IRONS - TA3
WEDGES - 52,56 60
PUTTER - WHITE HOT

Hello all, I am new to the board obviously but had a quick question in regards to Driver shafts. At present I am hitting a Aldila stiff shaft, which I can hit very easy with a 9 degree clubhead. I have another driver which has a stock shaft with a clubhead of 10.5 Degrees and I'm able to swing like a sandwedge and hit the ball about the same length (only problem is the shaft is no longer made). Obviously I'd like the best of both worlds in any situation but can someone suggest a good driver shaft?

i prefer aldila shafts (i have nv and proto, both stiff), but i havent really played any other top of the line shafts. ive heard good things about pro force v2 shafts, though

In my x78 stand bag
Driver Tour Burner 9.5 REAX stiff
3 Wood 906F4 15.5 Aldila VS Proto stiff
Hybrid IDEA Pro Gold Matrix Ozik stiff
Irons AP1 4-W DG S300Wedges Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54, V-Foil Tour 60Putter Red X 35"Ball ProV1

like wardamneagle I also use and like adila shafts but their are so many on the market it may be best to find access to a fitting machine and look at options available

one thing about going the extra mile there,s never a lot of traffic

what,s in the bag

driver: F speed LD 9 aldila NV stiff3 woodF speed LD 15 adila nv regularutility baffler 20 adila hl65 regularirons x-12 4 to pw rch99 firmwedges x18 forged 52 56&60putter im-01

I've found the BB Solutions 130 shaft is by far the best for me. It profiles almost identical to a Matrix Ozik Code 7 but is lot's cheaper. If you like a softer tip (universal flex) shaft you'll like this. Smoothest shaft I've ever hit. I'm getting a TourSwing Avenger Black in a week. Just released their Avenger Silver and Black series. Supposed to be great.

And I envy you guys with the Project X Rifles. I'm saving my pennies for some of those.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Note: This thread is 5894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!