IGNORED

My Swing (Double_AA)

Double_AA

I forgot to post about the second lesson that I had lol. This was with a new guy and I found him through the PGA site so he was "official". I assumed he would be more legit especially with his price tag of $50 for 30 min. Well he watched me for 30 min hitting wedges then 7 iron then driver. All he said was be less "handsy" and focus on hitting the ball low (he said I was kind of flipping). To say I was disappointed would be an understatement... I cannot find an instructor of facility anywhere near me that uses any type of launch monitoring, video analysis or anything. I would really like to spend the money on a pack of lessons somewhere but I can't find anybody around me that would be worth it. The latest instructor offered me a 4 pack for $160 ($10 off per lesson), but I said no thanks. If anyone knows of a good instructor or facility that I haven't yet found around the Charleston, WV area please let me know lol I'm giving up on it for now.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I have a few students from WV, but they're in the northern regions. 5 hours would be a bit too much.

I'm sorry you've had some horrible experiences. I hate - more than you I'd wager - bad golf instructors.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Man I just began looking into Stack & Tilt the past few days and I've come to realize it looks a lot like how I swing. I think one of my issues is not having any type of program or set list of checkpoints for when my swing is starting to fail. I'm going to give this a go and see what happens; the only real difference I see between S&T and my swing is starting with more weight on the left side and intentionally taking the club back somewhat inside. I like the part about pivoting around one point and keeping the head in one spot. I think the method sounds simple enough for irons, but no so much with woods and driver. Anyways, I will give it a try and see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a pretty good day today at the good old executive course. It was one of those rare days where I hit the center of the face on all my shots. I was even crushing my 4 iron.  On days like this my arms feel loose and my weight seems to get to my left side perfectly. I wish I could hit like this all the time lol it seems to only happen when I am relaxed and not thinking about positions or weight shift or anything. I can just feel the weight of the club head and feel like I’m just whipping it right through the ball. 

On 11/3/2019 at 11:00 PM, downbylaw11 said:

path looks good. backswing and transition seems a little rushed. not sure if youre completing your turn.  looks as though you also fall back on your heels a bit to start the downswing, which might lead to some toey shots and release of angles a little early to get the club to the ball.  But hey, youre gettin the ball up in the air now and your general swing path should lead to some decent golf shots. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about what you noticed about me falling back on my heels to start the downswing. I was just curious if my most recent videos seem to show the same thing? I feel like I can see it as well but I’m not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I’ve tried setting up with my weight less on my toes so I don’t fall back into my heels, but even when I swing with my weight starting on my heels it looks like this. Just curious if you would happen to have any input 😁

On 12/8/2019 at 7:29 PM, Double_AA said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about what you noticed about me falling back on my heels to start the downswing. I was just curious if my most recent videos seem to show the same thing? I feel like I can see it as well but I’m not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I’ve tried setting up with my weight less on my toes so I don’t fall back into my heels, but even when I swing with my weight starting on my heels it looks like this. Just curious if you would happen to have any input 😁

well, your right leg is straightening to the point of hyperextension which is throwing all of your weight on your heel and backwards.  to recover you come down a little steep and then release all of your angles at the bottom adding loft and probably having some inconsistency with low point. 

I would work on simple things like balance points throughout the swing. trying to keep your weight on the balls of your feet.  not the heels, or the toes.  keep a little flex in your right leg on the backswing to get into an athletic position at the top.  I'm a follower of george gankas, and he really believes a lot of swing faults and compensations are a direct result of poor balance. you still manage to get the club in some decent positions from what I see though you may have a little too much extension(cupping) of the left wrist at the top so your face is a little open on the way down which is another cause of an early-ish release to square up the face.   but focus on the balance in the backswing. you can straighten your leg a little, just make sure youre keeping your weight more centered under you than allowing it to fall back behind you, if that makes sense?  it might not fix everything, but at least it would get you in the right position to start making other improvements.

btw, this is merely just my opinion, and is purely for entertainment purposes only.  I am not a teacher, just a fan of the golf swing, so please don't hold me too responsible if you apply things I say and your game turns to rubbish lol

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

13 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

well, your right leg is straightening to the point of hyperextension which is throwing all of your weight on your heel and backwards.  to recover you come down a little steep and then release all of your angles at the bottom adding loft and probably having some inconsistency with low point. 

I would work on simple things like balance points throughout the swing. trying to keep your weight on the balls of your feet.  not the heels, or the toes.  keep a little flex in your right leg on the backswing to get into an athletic position at the top.  I'm a follower of george gankas, and he really believes a lot of swing faults and compensations are a direct result of poor balance. you still manage to get the club in some decent positions from what I see though you may have a little too much extension(cupping) of the left wrist at the top so your face is a little open on the way down which is another cause of an early-ish release to square up the face.   but focus on the balance in the backswing. you can straighten your leg a little, just make sure youre keeping your weight more centered under you than allowing it to fall back behind you, if that makes sense?  it might not fix everything, but at least it would get you in the right position to start making other improvements.

btw, this is merely just my opinion, and is purely for entertainment purposes only.  I am not a teacher, just a fan of the golf swing, so please don't hold me too responsible if you apply things I say and your game turns to rubbish lol

Okay yeah I see what you are saying and yes I do have problems with a consistent low point. Or consistent anything lol.  I also like the stuff by George Gankas and I try to follow the armpits, knee caps, ball of feet setup position. 

Anyways I hate how the straight leg looks so I am going to toy around with trying to keep it flexed. I'll also see how it affects my low point consistency. 

Thanks for checking it out again!

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Double_AA said:

Okay yeah I see what you are saying and yes I do have problems with a consistent low point. Or consistent anything lol.  I also like the stuff by George Gankas and I try to follow the armpits, knee caps, ball of feet setup position. 

Anyways I hate how the straight leg looks so I am going to toy around with trying to keep it flexed. I'll also see how it affects my low point consistency. 

Thanks for checking it out again!

The trail leg should extend but not to the point of locking out.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Having some confusion on grip. When I take my normal grip my pad on my thumb doesn’t come close to touching the grip. I can however make it touch if I extend my thumb very far. Not sure which is correct. If the thumb pad is supposed to be touching the grip then would my grips appear to be way undersized?? I only wear a size medium glove (Titleist) so I would think standard would work for me. Any advice on which grip looks more correct? Or if I should go to a midsize grip? 

I'm still hitting somewhat inconsistent one day I have a fade and leaving shots to the right and the next a draw.   I think it may be due to inconsistency when taking the grip. 

current grip that I take. 
E48680DD-A5B6-4C2D-BFC3-80885808B778.thumb.jpeg.5203ba9fe5e7b7a371734c28c41cb190.jpeg
6E3342DA-E1D7-40BA-AF4D-3DEAB9B3D4CF.thumb.jpeg.bc641a3abad4fc70f2e5d607c52376ce.jpeg

grip with extended thumb ( forcing pad to touch) 

8E3E77F5-99D8-4199-8E0B-6C4A6F281667.thumb.jpeg.3d3e95313e847dedcf4ed3204e29de21.jpeg

D9698EC9-AC8C-4532-9AD4-09FBEE035901.thumb.jpeg.ed09ba7d2746c150ef8fc0a8e6335024.jpeg

Better pictures of my current grip with trail hand on 7E0CC14E-117E-4D96-85E5-3FF9383973D3.thumb.jpeg.019cbf52947c2b5b0e42b7c756625bdc.jpeg

3016EF73-58CB-425C-A5D1-9B5E26F2D65F.thumb.jpeg.41bc1b94dc6a33bab29e60e53dc56837.jpeg

4E5EC440-21EB-407F-B979-CB1598856D1B.thumb.jpeg.29005950e789f18e9d0e6e38c2493c50.jpeg

• Administrator

Do you think it should touch?

Why?

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you think it should touch?

Why?

I do not I think it feels terrible lol there’s just so much grip info online some show it touching some not so I just wanted to check that my grip wasn’t totally out of wack. I see a lot of people say to do a long thumb and to me my current grip feels like I have a long thumb but if I really exaggerate then it does touch. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Double_AA said:

I do not I think it feels terrible lol there’s just so much grip info online some show it touching some not so I just wanted to check that my grip wasn’t totally out of wack. I see a lot of people say to do a long thumb and to me my current grip feels like I have a long thumb but if I really exaggerate then it does touch. 

Here's some info:

The title picture in there (Seve's grip, I believe) doesn't tough the base of the thumb.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice thanks!!!! It looks like I’m not too far off. 

isnt the idea that the club runs from the bottom of the index finger on an angle so that it's on the top of the palm by the pinky.  (sorry if that made no sense as im not sure of the correct terms).  it looks as though in that first picture that maybe youre gripping it completely in the fingers.

56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16

• Administrator
5 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

isnt the idea that the club runs from the bottom of the index finger on an angle so that it's on the top of the palm by the pinky.  (sorry if that made no sense as im not sure of the correct terms).  it looks as though in that first picture that maybe youre gripping it completely in the fingers.

No. That’s a pretty palmy grip.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:22 AM, downbylaw11 said:

You want to grip in the fingers.....

2 hours ago, dagogolfer25 said:

You want to grip in the fingers.....

i never really understood this statement.  i mean, your entire hand is touching the grip basically, so it's a statement that makes no sense.  if one were to say, you want to place the club square with your palm facing up in the fingers, then wrap your palm around, then that is a statement that seems a little more complete.  I can orientate my hand all sorts of ways and still be 'gripping it in the fingers' imo.  am i just being daft?  

56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16