IGNORED

Thinnest top-line (non-blades)

Bonvivant
Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So next year I would really like to get fitted for clubs, at least my irons. My question is, are there any/many options in the non-blade categories of irons that have thin top-lines like blades do? I have never been able to look down at bigger irons, especially when the top-line is meaty, and be confident that I will make good contact. With my current set (see signature) I get fairly good contact on most shots. I might have 2-4 fat shots and 1-2 thin shots in a round of 18 (I usually score in the 90s). Most of my trouble in regards to score, comes from duffed chips and a few errant drives, but I do want to get more consistent with my irons, and I know that blades wouldn't be recommended for someone playing at the level that I play. Does anyone have a suggestion of a line(s) of irons that fit my description, or am I stuck with blades if I want that thin top-line and non over-sized head? Cheers.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every brand makes a cavity version along with a blade version of their players clubs. These still won't be that forgiving but more so than a true muscle back blade. If you are looking to make them a bit more playable try matching these heads up with a lighter (sub 115g) shaft. But again, Mizuno, Srixon, Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, just to name a few brands.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

My question is, are there any/many options in the non-blade categories of irons that have thin top-lines like blades do?

Short answer is no.

I have never been able to look down at bigger irons, especially when the top-line is meaty, and be confident that I will make good contact.

That's probably just in your head. I bet you don't hit your blades as well as you think you do and you'd get better results from more forgiving clubs. This is coming from a mid-handicap player who also plays blades. I'm leaning towards getting a set of clubs that are more suited for my swing next year also and I'll bet the fitter isn't going to recommend blades for me.

You might not like the look of a thicker top line, but that being the reason you think you wouldn't be able to hit it well? That's a bit odd. Do you stand over your driver and think to yourself, "This club is too big, I'm going to miss the ball?"

With my current set (see signature) I get fairly good contact on most shots. I might have 2-4 fat shots and 1-2 thin shots in a round of 18 (I usually score in the 90s). Most of my trouble in regards to score, comes from duffed chips and a few errant drives, but I do want to get more consistent with my irons, and I know that blades wouldn't be recommended for someone playing at the level that I play.

If your non-fat and thin shots are not all struck from the sweetspot, you'll see a benefit from more forgiving irons. How much distance do you lose on toe hits, heel hits, lateral dispersion increases, trajectory changes, etc., are all part of how GI and SGI clubs are designed.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a line(s) of irons that fit my description, or am I stuck with blades if I want that thin top-line and non over-sized head?

Honestly if you like a thin top line and a small clubhead, you have to play blades. I've played players' GI clubs or players' distance clubs that are supposed to look like blades but they still appear thicker. Hell, my MP4s are thicker than my Hogan blades. At the end of the day it's really not that big of a deal once you get used to them, but that really just comes down to you. Do you want to play clubs because they look better or because they perform better for you? Nobody can answer that for you.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

ou might not like the look of a thicker top line

I’m not a fan of the real thick top lines like some of the Callaway clubs. But it’s actually just as much the large offset that seems to come with those thick clubs that I don’t like. I could get used to the thickness but the offset is what gets to me. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m not a fan of the real thick top lines like some of the Callaway clubs. But it’s actually just as much the large offset that seems to come with those thick clubs that I don’t like. I could get used to the thickness but the offset is what gets to me. 

I agree. I care less about the top line thickness than I do about offset.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I agree. I care less about the top line thickness than I do about offset.

Offset is on my mind too. I am not a fan. Are there certain makes that have let's say mid thickness top lines but next to no offset. Great points in the other post. Just something im going to have to get used to

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

26 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Offset is on my mind too. I am not a fan. Are there certain makes that have let's say mid thickness top lines but next to no offset. Great points in the other post. Just something im going to have to get used to

I am playing a set of Mizuno MP-18 MMCs, and really like them. They have a thin cavity, thin top line, and minimal offset. The SC version would also work. New MP-20s would be similar.

Also if you don't mind a bit thicker top, something like the Callaway Rogue Pros are smaller headed with very little offset. 

Again every company makes a small headed cavity back at this point. 

Might also want to check out some of the component options. Maltby has some heads that would fit the bill if you don't care about what name is stamped on your irons.

• Like 1

Since you originally mentioned that you were going to go to a Fitter for this next set of irons I would suggest that you go into it with a complete and open mind.

Trust your Fitter and the equipment he/she is using.  Launch monitors do not lie, they present cold hard facts as to what is and is not working.  Hopefully your Fitter is using a Trackman but if not I would not consider that a deal breaker.

You might very well be surprised that what you visually prefer to look down at will also perform the best for you or near the very top of the list of clubs.

This then speaks to the general statements that are made that this, particular type of handicap works best with this type of club.  Throw those general statements out the window and stick to an open mind about what is going on with your fitting session. The reason for that is you are a specific situation, not general.  What may work for a general group of players may very well not work for you.

Just because you are a "Mid Handicap" player does not mean the GI or SGI irons are the best fit for you.  

I know this as a fact for me.  When I went into my last iron fitting I was running between a 12 & 16 handicap. I told my Fitter that I should look at GI & SGI irons.  Shortly into the fitting he took both of those categories out and focused on Blades and Player's Irons. My Fitter told me that I hit smaller club faces consistently center while hitting the GI and SGI irons I was all over the face.

My Fitter told me it was pretty much a toss up between Blades and Players Irons but he wanted me to buy Players Irons because they had enough forgiveness in them to help me.

After purchasing my current irons my handicap did drop.  The correct irons helped but I also really like hitting them thus I really enjoy going to the range and practicing with them, which all lead to dropping my handicap.

As to your last question, yes there are a lot of choices with little to no offset while also having a thinner to mid top line.  Mizuno, Ping, Titleist are some that come to mind.

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

31 minutes ago, djake said:

My Fitter told me it was pretty much a toss up between Blades and Players Irons but he wanted me to buy Players Irons because they had enough forgiveness in them to help me.

After purchasing my current irons my handicap did drop.  The correct irons helped but I also really like hitting them thus I really enjoy going to the range and practicing with them, which all lead to dropping my handicap.

Hearing your story about GI Irons vs Blades makes me wish I would have insisted on hitting some Blades when I went for my fitting. I hadn't played in a LONG time and told them that when I went in so I didn't even think about it at the time but honestly it's something that's always been in the back of my mind about Blades, the whole "have a smaller miss" thing since they are smaller. Which set did you end up going with?

:titleist:

Just now, djake said:

Since you originally mentioned that you were going to go to a Fitter for this next set of irons I would suggest that you go into it with a complete and open mind.

Trust your Fitter and the equipment he/she is using.  Launch monitors do not lie, they present cold hard facts as to what is and is not working.  Hopefully your Fitter is using a Trackman but if not I would not consider that a deal breaker.

You might very well be surprised that what you visually prefer to look down at will also perform the best for you or near the very top of the list of clubs.

This then speaks to the general statements that are made that this, particular type of handicap works best with this type of club.  Throw those general statements out the window and stick to an open mind about what is going on with your fitting session. The reason for that is you are a specific situation, not general.  What may work for a general group of players may very well not work for you.

Just because you are a "Mid Handicap" player does not mean the GI or SGI irons are the best fit for you.  

I know this as a fact for me.  When I went into my last iron fitting I was running between a 12 & 16 handicap. I told my Fitter that I should look at GI & SGI irons.  Shortly into the fitting he took both of those categories out and focused on Blades and Player's Irons. My Fitter told me that I hit smaller club faces consistently center while hitting the GI and SGI irons I was all over the face.

As to your last question, yes there are a lot of choices with little to no offset while also having a thinner to mid top line.  Mizuno, Ping, Titleist are some that come to mind.

This is comforting. Hopefully I can go to a good fitter that has a decent selection between brands. These blades from 2003 with the stock stiff shafts (I believe they are S400) that I am playing with now always feel so good when I hit a good one, and I love them at address. There is a chance I could get away with reshafting these if it isn't too pricey, as I do like them and they are in good shape. Just maybe a bit too stiff on shafts for someone with my swing speed. For reference I hit my 7 iron (37o) from this set around 130-135 yards.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

but honestly it's something that's always been in the back of my mind about Blades, the whole "have a smaller miss" thing since they are smaller

Huh? Blades don't have a smaller miss because the clubhead is smaller. Clubs are made more forgiving by having more mass away from the sweetspot which requires a bigger clubhead.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Huh? Blades don't have a smaller miss because the clubhead is smaller. Clubs are made more forgiving by having more mass away from the sweetspot which requires a bigger clubhead.

I was referring to hitting the center more maybe because of swinging a smaller iron head like @djake mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

I was referring to hitting the center more maybe because of swinging a smaller iron head like @djake mentioned. 

I wish that was how it works. I'd buy a set of Baby Blades right now...

Bill

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I wish that was how it works. I'd buy a set of Baby Blades right now...

Maybe it does work for some, I just thought it was interesting because he hit the players irons/blades (smaller iron) better than the GI/SGI irons (more center of the face) as he stated in his comment.

40 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Maybe it does work for some, I just thought it was interesting because he hit the players irons/blades (smaller iron) better than the GI/SGI irons (more center of the face) as he stated in his comment.

Maybe, I tell myself all the time that I don't lose that many strokes playing my blades.

Bill

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Maybe, I tell myself all the time that I don't lose that many strokes playing my blades.

How long have you been playing them and what did you have before Blades? Notice any kind of loss/gain in the handicap department? 

Just now, ShawnSum said:

How long have you been playing them and what did you have before Blades? Notice any kind of loss/gain in the handicap department? 

Two years now I think. Any changes in my handicap reflect improvements in my game and not the change in irons. I had players' irons before which is really just a minor step up in the forgiveness department.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

19 minutes ago, billchao said:

Two years now I think. Any changes in my handicap reflect improvements in my game and not the change in irons. I had players' irons before which is really just a minor step up in the forgiveness department.

Good stuff! I'll get my hands on some in the near future and give them a whirl.

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!