IGNORED

National Golf Links of America

Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The ultimate misnomer. This course has the greatest collection of green complexes in north America..But sadly is maintained like a parkland course. Members seem to have no idea what they've got there.  When the Walker Cup was held there in 2013 the conditioning was firm and fast.  Now it's deplorable...soft and slow.....Oh well.

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, mistyriver said:

The ultimate misnomer. This course has the greatest collection of green complexes in north America..But sadly is maintained like a parkland course. Members seem to have no idea what they've got there.  When the Walker Cup was held there in 2013 the conditioning was firm and fast.  Now it's deplorable...soft and slow.....Oh well.

I played it about ten years ago and it played as it was designed. It was hard and fast and we had wind behind us going out and we had wind in our face coming back. I shot 39 on the front and thought, I got this. Until we turned home and I shot 52.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, mistyriver said:

I would ask at what time of year were you playing the course? And what has the weather been recently! These all make a difference. 

Do any golf courses in the USA play like true links as in Scotland or Ireland?

I played 36 there in the middle of the summer some years ago, and it very clearly did not feel like a links course to me.  Aside from the first two very short driveable par 4 holes, I recall most of holes to not support a ground game on the approach, which to me is the hallmark of a links course.  More parkland than links from my memory.  Besides not being treeless, some of the elevated greens are not what one would see on a seaside links course.  The soil conditions also seemed more park-like.  Many links courses tend to go outward in proximity to the coast/ocean and then turn inward back home.  It was a very enjoyable course but it was also very easy at least in benign summer conditions, a course ready made for that the new short distance ball.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

Do any golf courses in the USA play like true links as in Scotland or Ireland?

The courses at Bandon do, I hear.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!