IGNORED

How to Get in D1 College Golf?

golflover123
Note: This thread is 1589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 12/29/2019 at 11:20 AM, iacas said:

You're dead wrong on that one, or he is, or he didn't understand what the coach was saying exactly, or something.

High-level D1 schools are recruiting kids in 7th and 8th grades. Kids in 7th and 8th grades are talking with college coaches (most within the bounds of what the NCAA allows, some not). If you're waiting until you're a junior before you start reaching out to college programs, you've waited way too long. My own daughter has had interest since she was 14, and I'm friends with several high-level D1 college coaches. They're recruiting earlier and earlier, and locking kids down earlier and earlier.

I'm not very familiar with the process, so bear with me. Why is this? Because technology enables easier communication? Or it's harder to find good players? 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/29/2019 at 11:13 AM, David in FL said:

This is what the tournament scores of a 17 year old going to a D-2 school next year look like.  He made the round of 32 this year in the US Junior Am and finished top 10 in the state junior.

BFA78E23-6CA3-45D2-A92D-D496A0392656.jpeg

I didn't look too close at this originally, but this is also the scoring record of someone who didn't post all his scores.  This shows 13 scores over 6 months, and every one a T score.  I guarantee he played a lot more golf than that.  Who knows if the scores that didn't get posted were higher or lower, but that's not the right way to keep a valid handicap.  

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

To break aside briefly, @DaveP043, there's a good amount of data to suggest that PGA Tour players actually benefit growing up playing somewhat easier courses, because they learn to shoot 64 or 66 or whatever, rather than just learning to shoot 73 on a hard course repeatedly.

I think this comment is right in line with the thread.  To get to play golf in college, especially at a top-level school, it seems logical that a player will need to shoot some low scores along the way.  I've read it before, a good way to learn to score lower and feel comfortable doing it is to play on shorter and/or easier courses at times.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm not very familiar with the process, so bear with me. Why is this? Because technology enables easier communication? Or it's harder to find good players? 

Competitive reasons only. If you're waiting until the great players are 16 or 17 to start talking to them, odds are you'll have missed out on that year's best players.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I didn't look too close at this originally, but this is also the scoring record of someone who didn't post all his scores.  This shows 13 scores over 6 months, and every one a T score.  I guarantee he played a lot more golf than that.  Who knows if the scores that didn't get posted were higher or lower, but that's not the right way to keep a valid handicap.  

I think this comment is right in line with the thread.  To get to play golf in college, especially at a top-level school, it seems logical that a player will need to shoot some low scores along the way.  I've read it before, a good way to learn to score lower and feel comfortable doing it is to play on shorter and/or easier courses at times.

This is a very high end player.  He’s not keeping a handicap to play in net games against you or me...  :-D  In fact, I doubt that he actually posted them.  I’m sure they were posted by the Tournament sponsors.  The USGA and the FSGA among others.

You can find a bunch of tour pros on GHIN too.  They don’t post their casual rounds either.  I just posted this to give everyone an idea of the level of play for a very good junior who’s not even headed to a D1 school.

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, David in FL said:

This is a very high end player.  He’s not keeping a handicap to play in net games against you or me...  :-D  In fact, I doubt that he actually posted them.  I’m sure they were posted by the Tournament sponsors.  The USGA and the FSGA among others.

The fact remains that he's not using the handicapping system properly. He's in violation of the rules (of handicapping).

It likely has no consequences, really, but @DaveP043 is just stating a fact.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, David in FL said:

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

The fact remains that he's not using the handicapping system properly. He's in violation of the rules (of handicapping).

It likely has no consequences, really, but @DaveP043 is just stating a fact.

Yeah, I was trying to make a point.  Lots of players need a handicap, maybe to be eligible to qualify for the US Open at this guy's level.  But many of these players don't give a damn about posting scores, its somehow beneath them.  My point, if you need the system to work FOR you, you owe it to the system to do things right.  Consequences, the Committee has the authority to modify a player's handicap, or even withdraw it, for continued "offenses".  It probably wouldn't happen, but its just rude to force a handicap committee (all volunteers) to make that kind of choice, to not to enforce the rules.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, I was trying to make a point.  Lots of players need a handicap, maybe to be eligible to qualify for the US Open at this guy's level.  But many of these players don't give a damn about posting scores, its somehow beneath them.  My point, if you need the system to work FOR you, you owe it to the system to do things right.  Consequences, the Committee has the authority to modify a player's handicap, or even withdraw it, for continued "offenses".  It probably wouldn't happen, but its just rude to force a handicap committee (all volunteers) to make that kind of choice, to not to enforce the rules.

Yep. The Committee would be WELL within its rights (and one could argue it's obliged to do so) to remove his handicap for continual and ongoing breaches.

I know that within D1 there are different levels. I graduated from High Point College way before it became High Point University. It's small compared to most ACC or SEC schools. It might be considered a mid major in basketball terms. I wonder how the qualifications to play at a school like this would differ vs a school from a big conference?

On 12/31/2019 at 6:20 AM, iacas said:

Competitive reasons only. If you're waiting until the great players are 16 or 17 to start talking to them, odds are you'll have missed out on that year's best players.

that the same with basketball football they get kids as early as 14

On 12/31/2019 at 7:49 AM, iacas said:

Yep. The Committee would be WELL within its rights (and one could argue it's obliged to do so) to remove his handicap for continual and ongoing breaches.

i think they get rid of it when you turn pro tiger had a handicap of +8 when he turn pro 

Note: This thread is 1589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!