IGNORED

My Swing (slp1225)

slp1225
Note: This thread is 1515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 8 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 27 handicap
My typical ball flight is: Irons: High and long, seem to go right slowly (slice?, Driver: Extremely low, slices dramatically. Can never hit the ball high with a driver and always slices
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice on all clubs

Hi All,

My name is Sam. Been playing golf for about 8 months, current handicap is 27, best stroke score is 102.

No matter what I do, I badly slice every shot with my driver to the point where I have no confidence with this club.

I have always been a pretty good ball striker with the irons, but recently have noticed they seem to be drifting right too (slice?)

I have tried everything online, and feel overwhlemed with all the articles and videos - I feel like everything about my swing keeps chopping and changing based on what I read.

What I am working on at the moment is to have an open stance, take all tension out of arms, swing slowly and let the club do the work, only really turn the upper body.

I have had some lessons in the past and my coach just says it's my club face being open, but what's causing it?

Keen for everyone's thoughts, completely open to any/all feedback/thoughts/criticism. I am completely new to this game and am in love with it! 

Videos: 

Edited by slp1225
More info provided

Slices are caused by an open face. The trick is finding out why it is open, and finding the right fix. The easiest is changing grip for me. If I start slicing bad I will rotate my hands clockwise (toward your rear foot) on the club. What this does, is when you get to impact position, your hands will most likely take the shape that they had with your slice, but the club face will be turned more closed. 

I am sure that there are plenty of other ways to correct a slice, and this is just a quick fix. You mentioned that you had some lessons. Did you get along well with your coach (i.e. was he getting the point across well to you)? If so, what did you work on? Look forward to seeing and hearing more. 

Edit*

I noticed your coach said that it was caused by an open face, but it sounds like he didn't offer a solution, or if he did you didn't mention it. If he didn't give you any idea of how to fix it, I would find a different instructor. 

Edited by Bonvivant
Addition
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey mate,

Appreciate the response.

he said I had to roll my wrists through impact , so that the club face is square .

as I take way the club I should open it up to allow the wrist roll to happen on the downswing.

doesnt feel like it’s working.

have tried that and it hasn’t worked

just got back from range - was slicing both my irons and my driver. Completely rattled and lost confidence immediately. Both clubs Im striking the ball cleanly but they all slice - irons less obvious but the driver is dramatic , ball was actually bouncing sideways at the end of it ....

Any advice is appreciated , the slicing is really crushing my soul. Trying absolutely everything I’m reading online to try and cure it.

First of all, slices occur not just from an open face, but because the club path is left of where the face is pointing.  So if your path and face are both out to right field it's a push, not a slice.  A mostly straight path with an open face is a slice as well as is a straight pointing face and a swing path towards left field.

An open stance is promoting the path to left field and the clubface does look slightly open around impact.  You want to square up both the path and clubface, or at least get them to a manageable place.  Path could be from aligning your shoulders and hips more with your target. For the face, try hitting a few with a stronger grip.  It's hard to see where yours is at from DTL, but I'd guess it's a little on the weaker side. Which means, it's typically harder to get the face closed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Thanks for that! Yes I've noticed my slicing with the irons has occured since opening up my stance a bit, and it makes sense that I would now be slicing it as that's where the club is heading.

Going to work on squaring up my stance, shoulders etc tonight at the range and see if that fixes it.

Any thoughts on the driver? No matter what I do, i cannot cure the slice. Feel like I have tried everything - videos, articles etc It's killing my brain lol.

(edited)
1 hour ago, slp1225 said:

Any thoughts on the driver? No matter what I do, i cannot cure the slice. Feel like I have tried everything - videos, articles etc It's killing my brain lol.

Watch your shoulder line at address. Its open to your stance and your path follows it. So even with driver the path is out to in. The face being open doesn’t help, yeah.

You could do the toe to toe drill. Bring club back to A2(where club is first parallel with ground), the leading edge of face should approximately match your spine angle, which you appear to do. But dont go past there, swing through until the same position on through swing. At this point try to get the toe to point straight up. These swings should be super slow to feel the positioning around impact. Edit- this drill isn’t perfect but it’s a start

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Yes. Id start it with irons then go to driver. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Great thanks will do.

Just another question, sorry,

Will having a more square stance possibly with the trail foot foot slightly back help promote a better swing plane for my swing?

12 minutes ago, slp1225 said:

Will having a more square stance possibly with the trail foot foot slightly back help promote a better swing plane for my swing?

It can, yes. However be careful to not overdo it. If you can use an alignment stick. If you don’t have one use a putter or long club to align the feet. Then if you’d like move your trail foot an inch back.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

4 hours ago, phillyk said:

It can, yes. However be careful to not overdo it. If you can use an alignment stick. If you don’t have one use a putter or long club to align the feet. Then if you’d like move your trail foot an inch back.

Hi mate,

just an update . Played 9 holes at my club tonight.

Hit a 48 and 21 sford points (got 27 for all 18 on weekend).

Squared the feet with the trail slightly back , and used the toe up to toe up drill as practice swings before each hit - they went super straight !!!!

Driver will need a lot more work but even managed one or two straight drives too.

thanks so much , I really appreciate it! Has given me something to keep working on.

• Like 1

Glad things are working out all right for you! Driver always takes more work. Keep at it!

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 5 weeks later...

Progress update for everyone.

Its been 10 months since I’ve started playing golf and this is my current swing . Tonight was the first time I’ve managed to get a fuller back swing . I hit this 6 iron 165m, which for me is huge .

would love any and all feedback on my swing , previous feedback really helped me 🙂

22 minutes ago, slp1225 said:

Progress update for everyone.

Its been 10 months since I’ve started playing golf and this is my current swing . Tonight was the first time I’ve managed to get a fuller back swing . I hit this 6 iron 165m, which for me is huge .

would love any and all feedback on my swing , previous feedback really helped me 🙂

Looks better! Next time, have the camera aimed down your toe line for a better view. We can see all the checkpoints better that way.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Thanks.

heres another one from tonight . Not the camera angle you wanted sorry but will get one with that soon.

i feel like I can get a full swing on a practice swing , but when there’s a ball there I just can’t get it full...any suggestions?

Edited by slp1225

Note: This thread is 1515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!