IGNORED

Golf Practice Facility

padraic mchale
Note: This thread is 6838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, let me introduce myself, my name is Padraic McHale and i am based in Co.Kildare, Ireland. I am in the process of building a state of the art golf practice facility. My question to you guys is this; What would be your top 10 features you would like to see in a modern practice facility? I have done quite a bit of research on this topic but would be very interested to hear what you guys think. Thanks for your time, Padraic

Driving range of course (With accurate yardage markers and possibly decent golf balls)

Chipping Range- for practicing those finesse shots.

Putting greens- Learning to use "Tiger Vision" in real life.

Sand Traps- Hey why not be able to enjoy a day at the beach.

Motion Capture setup... (Dont know if anyone has seen this yet but it was on the news here in south louisiana yesterday) but there is some golf instructor that bought a motion capture studio and is using it as a 3-D training tool. You put on a suit, get up and swing away at a screen (With real clubs and balls) then computer analysis tells you what you are doing wrong and the instructor can help you fine tune your swing.

Thats all I can think of right now... I will be sure and post more if I think of any more.

A short game area is a must. A putting green that is separate from a pitching/chipping area would be preferrable so you aren't dodging skulled wedges.

If motion capture isn't possible, an area where golfers can have their swings put on tape would be nice. That way they can check their progress.

Keep us posted on how it is coming!

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A short game area is a must.

Agree 100000%. Definite shortage of those. If your budget is heavy - consider high-tech swing analysis / fitting station(s). Maybe even a full golf simulator for these ugly rainy days you guys have out there - keeps the revenue flowing 365 days a year. Good luck!

All of the above, and...

1:Intravenous Guinness;
2:Bay Watch Babes giving coaching;
3:Home made Irish Soda Bread spread with lashings of butter in the restaurant;
4:Padraig Harrington to sort out my short game;
5:Re-runs of 'Father Ted' on the overhead monitors;
6:Decent heaters in the bays in the winter;
7:Decent A/C in the bays in the summer;
8:Ardal O'Hanlon as the clubmaster;
9:Quality balls in the bays which properly reflect the standard expected today;
10: A quality putting green which accurately simulates various types of grass and slopes.

Well, you did ask...

Many of the premier facilities have huge ranges that have tee stations in the center of the range so you can hit balls in any direction. That way you can hit balls with any wind condition, left-to right, right-to-left, etc. That would be cool.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

thanks guys for the feedback most of which confirms that the short game area is probably the most overlooked aspect of a practice facility.

What are your thoughts on Automated Tee stations?
What are your thoughts on portable targets?
What annoys you most about your local driving range?

All feedback greatly appreciated.

These two go hand in hand for me. Please make sure you have targets that have

ACCURATE distances. Wherever the tees are at that day, there should be a "Today's distances" board that can be updated or ample distance markers for people to reference. Portable targets would remove the need for both of these things if used correctly. Laser sight your distances as well...a lot of ranges feel very off. If I'm working on my game I want to get a feel for how far the ball is flying and not do any guesswork.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
These two go hand in hand for me. Please make sure you have targets that have

I really don't worry too much about distances on the range because of the quality of range balls. They fly on a different trajectory and no doubt have variations in distance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What are your thoughts on Automated Tee stations?

Nah, IMHO "real" golfer doesn't care too much for that gadget. Bending over to tee up is part of my stretching program, I wouldn't want to pay extra for this privilege...

Standard (planted) targets are good enough. It's nice if besides a 50,100, 150,200 flags there is a "green-look-a-like" are around them to have more "real" feel to it.

What annoys you most about your local driving range?

Dirty balls. Nothing worse than that. Funny. My wife says the same thing and she's not talking about a driving range

Many of the premier facilities have huge ranges that have tee stations in the center of the range so you can hit balls in any direction. That way you can hit balls with any wind condition, left-to right, right-to-left, etc. That would be cool.

Cool for sure, but it doubles the space requirement for the range...

Good ball is a MUST, Nike or Srixon have the best.

My local course has accual Greens and Flags on the range and as they moving the teeing ground back and forth they have a sign that says 147 to RED or 175 to White. Its a great set up, I love it.

Also you have to have good mats, Nothing worse then going to a range and having your clubs boucing off it and leaving ugly green scraps on your clubs.

Shortgame is a must (2 greens 1 for chipping 1 for putting)

Have a gimmic, Put a large glass door about 250 out in the middle if someone breaks it they get Range balls for a year or a few dozen balls or something like that.

Have fun targets, A range around here has some nets about 80 yards out to hit High wedges into and some other fun targets to hit at.

A Mini-putt is always a good addition to anywhere.

Quality Clubs in the proShop let people demo them on the range.

Snack Bar (Or at least a coke machine)

Club repair in proshop
WITB
R7 TP 10.5* Fujikura SIX
R580 Fairway Fujikura Vista Pro 60
200 Steel 5 wood Fujikura Tour PLatform 27.3
Steelhead X-14 Pro series 52* Black Nickle Vokey 8* Bounce56* Black Nickle Vokey 10* Bounce Scotty Cameron Newport Beach 33"Pro V1 #8

Did anybody mention hitting from grass? That's a must for me. Hitting from turf just screws me up even more...

honestly I don't think it makes much sense. If you have a range by the golf course open to the people playing the course - that's different. Driving range as a business entity don't justify the cost and maintenance required to keep then grass tee stations in a good shape. IMHO matts are fine, as long as they in a good shape.

Must be me then. I don't like the feel of hitting it fat off the mat and still having a good looking shot.

A range local to me has two grass areas and one mat area. They rotate the grass so that one is always in use while the other is rehabbing. It can be done with the right amount of space and we know how grass grows in Ireland.

Must be me then. I don't like the feel of hitting it fat off the mat and still having a good looking shot.

I'm with you on the grass. I used to hit off the grass all the time in Colorado until I moved here to Northern Virginia/DC metro area. I can't stand these mats since I have been spoiled by grass.

Driver: 913D2, 9.5°
3-Wood: V-Steel, 15°
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP, 19°
Irons: MP-64, 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM 54.10, 60.08 Putter: Studio Style Newport 2

Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 6838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!