IGNORED

My Swing (JGH65)

JGH65
Note: This thread is 1548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 8 years on and off
My current handicap index or average score is: 12
My typical ball flight is: Right to left
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate: hook and thin/low heel strike

I just started getting back into golf and haven’t been striking the ball very well lately. I have a big left miss (I play with a strong left hand grip which is definitely a cause) and most of my poor strikes are low on the heel side, or just inconsistent contact. I tend to get a little too much in-to-out as well. 

I also just found/joined the forum and this is my first post. Sorry in advance if I made any mistakes.

Videos: 

• Administrator

Got any face-on video? How particular are you about noticing your start lines?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don’t have any face-on videos right now, but I can try to take some this weekend if I get a chance to get to the range.

In terms of my start lines, my typical shot will start out to the right of target and curve back left, sometimes on mishits they will start straight-ish and curve left. I try to line up slightly right on most shots to compensate for the draw.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:57 PM, iacas said:

I was able to do a face on 7 iron this morning at the range. I apologize in advance if the angle isn’t perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know nobody really interacted with the original post, but I have been working on a couple things and figured it couldn’t hurt to add some updated videos. My left miss has gone away but my ballstriking has really suffered. I think my lower body is the cause of a lot of my problems. 
My “miss” as of now is just thin and on the heel (borderline shank at times). Open to any comments or feedback.

5 hours ago, JGH65 said:

I know nobody really interacted with the original post, but I have been working on a couple things and figured it couldn’t hurt to add some updated videos. My left miss has gone away but my ballstriking has really suffered. I think my lower body is the cause of a lot of my problems. 
My “miss” as of now is just thin and on the heel (borderline shank at times). Open to any comments or feedback.

Your swing looks pretty good, but it is hard to look at all the elements at full speed. Most of us do slow motion videos for our My Swing threads. The iPhone can edit the video to have just the swing part in slow motion and the rest at full speed. That is usually what I do.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Your swing looks pretty good, but it is hard to look at all the elements at full speed. Most of us do slow motion videos for our My Swing threads. The iPhone can edit the video to have just the swing part in slow motion and the rest at full speed. That is usually what I do.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. Is it worth doing that then re-uploading?

4 minutes ago, JGH65 said:

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. Is it worth doing that then re-uploading?

I would recommend that. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Pretty good swing. I will say it looks like you have too much weight in your heels at address. I am going to guess you hit more fat shots than thin? No slo-mo but looks like there may be a little flip in there at impact. 

(edited)
44 minutes ago, dagogolfer25 said:

Pretty good swing. I will say it looks like you have too much weight in your heels at address. I am going to guess you hit more fat shots than thin? No slo-mo but looks like there may be a little flip in there at impact. 

I would say I am missing more thin right now, I do hit some fat shots though.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would recommend that. 

Slo-mo:

Edited by JGH65

12 hours ago, JGH65 said:

I would say I am missing more thin right now, I do hit some fat shots though.

Slo-mo:

Those swings look pretty good to me and you are very flexible, which helps. At impact, you may be turning the face over a bit too fast, which is an issue I have had and am working on. The drill I am doing is basically what is shown below. The feel is to keep swinging right after impact and holding the wrists from turning over. Rolling of the wrist through impact can lead to those hooks. Also, try to keep the hands in front of the head through impact to stop any flipping.

When you do this drill, start with shorter swings to get the feel of it like 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 swings.

I also use a driveway stick in front to remind me to keep swinging right. I wrap tape around the base in case I hit it (which I have!). @nevets88 made a PVC pipe holder per @iacas design to bring to the range. Their version is probably a better design.

It may take a while to make the changes stick. But otherwise, your swing looks nice.

• Informative 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Those swings look pretty good to me and you are very flexible, which helps. At impact, you may be turning the face over a bit too fast, which is an issue I have had and am working on. The drill I am doing is basically what is shown below. The feel is to keep swinging right after impact and holding the wrists from turning over. Rolling of the wrist through impact can lead to those hooks. Also, try to keep the hands in front of the head through impact to stop any flipping.

When you do this drill, start with shorter swings to get the feel of it like 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 swings.

I also use a driveway stick in front to remind me to keep swinging right. I wrap tape around the base in case I hit it (which I have!). @nevets88 made a PVC pipe holder per @iacas design to bring to the range. Their version is probably a better design.

It may take a while to make the changes stick. But otherwise, your swing looks nice.

Thank you for the feedback. I definitely get that “flippy” feel at times, especially with my irons. Definitely something I will have to work at.

Note: This thread is 1548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!