cooke119

Do Adjustable Hosels Really Change Loft?

24 posts / 1459 viewsLast Reply

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I did a little photo exercise with two identical Titleist 917 D2 drivers with 10.5 loft. It shows the face angle change at address with the club soled lying on a flat floor. 

Here is standard. The lie slightly open to my eye.

64840329-3129-4618-8BA6-2674405DBB90.jpeg

Here is same loft but 2 degrees upright and one flat. The upright is slightly closed to my eye and the B1 a bit more open than A1.

8C170F7A-6931-4721-8FEE-5BD79CE9E908.jpeg

Extremes: 12.5, 2 degrees upright and 9.5 1 degree flat. Left is closed, right is the most open.

487613C7-9FBF-4732-A754-E30D51D45D92.jpeg

The opposite, 9.5 2 degrees upright, 12.5 1 degree flat. I didn’t see much of a difference but right was slightly more open. The photo is off a bit on angle.

E346414F-E525-4874-9E32-C1BAF11D47F5.jpeg

But most importantly, I aim the face and don’t rely on the way it looks soled. The tee box is never flat and I open the face at address because my swing path is in to out.

Uh, I don't know how your eyes work, but in none of your pics do the clubshafts appear parallel! Thus, your comparisons are bogus! 

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I think you’re misunderstanding how adjustable drivers work. The change in loft only presents itself if you square the face. And if you square the face, it’s not closed...

Oh wow! A square clubface does not appear closed! Well, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! What a brilliant observation! That's what I said in my post. you have to open the clubface to get it to look normal, and gain any advantage the additional loft might give you!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Oh wow! A square clubface does not appear closed! Well, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! What a brilliant observation! That's what I said in my post. you have to open the clubface to get it to look normal, and gain any advantage the additional loft might give you!

Ugh. If you have the type of hosel that closes the face when you increase the loft and sole it, it’s slightly closed. Then you square the face. How? You rotate it open. Face square, loft presented higher.

You said yourself that you don’t like to sole your driver and you like the face square at address. You’re exactly the type of person who can use these types of hosels  correctly.

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Uh, I don't know how your eyes work, but in none of your pics do the clubshafts appear parallel! Thus, your comparisons are bogus! 

My eyes work fine. It was difficult to get the shaft parallel in the photos, but I assure you, they were. They were shared for comparison, but I think you are still missing the point.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, boogielicious said:

because my swing path is in to out.

humble brag season 4 GIF by Blindspot

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Are you paying attention to your sleep and nutrition? Those are two huge factors in recovery.
    • I'm with @Yukari Last week I started with double, birdie, double, and in my younger days, I would have given up right there. Now I know better. Picked up another birdie on the front 9 for a respecable 38, had 3bogeys on the back 9, but birdied the last hole for another 38. Never give up.
    • What are some proven strategies to recover if you have to play 18 holes of tournament golf each day for 2, 3 or even 4 days.?   Right now my weekly practice is as follows   Monday Off Tuesda Par 3 course focusing on distance control with irons and 40 minute putting session Wed Range Day focusing on odd numbered irons and driver.  Experimental shots, hooking, slicing on purpose.   Thursday 9 holes for score,  maybe a short game range session Friday Another short game session (putting chipping, pitching) Saturday AM 9 holes for score, Afternoon Range session practicing shots needed for Sunday Sunday AM Hot Tub soak, drive to the course to arrive 1hour before.  Warm up through bag with wedges, odd numbered irons and driver 18 holes   I'd like to be able to do 18 Saturday and Sunday but need some tips on how not to be so sore Sunday if I'm going to play 2 18s in a row.      
    • Played Saturday at one of the tougher courses (for me) in my area which plays as a Par 72, 70.3/124 - 6,245 yds.  Some highlights/lowlights.  First hole is a 490 y Par 5 - Hit my tee shot weak right and the put a 5w out leaving me 180 to a downhill green.   Hit a 5i clean and looked to be online but once it cleared the hill, I lost sight of it.  As I get closer to the green, my ball is sitting not even 3' from the hole....miracle shot.  For the 3rd consecutive round, I birdie the first hole.  Made bogeys on 2-5. Hole 6 - 143y Par 3 - had one of my best iron shots of the day.  2 putt par. Hole 8 - Par 4 that is about 230 to the water from the tee.  Always have played this with my 3w to land safely before the water hazard.  It may be time to switch to 5w or 4i as my tee shot went into the water.  Ended up with Double Bogey. Finished the front 9 with a 44 which is always excellent here. Back 9 started off terribly as I went +7 over three holes.  This includes a triple bogey on hole 12.  Tee shot left me ~ 165 to the green.  Flew over it and landed in this spongey type of moss on the back tree line.  Took me 3 freaking shots to get back on the green. Back 9 was not much to write home about....had back to back pars but that was it.  Came in on 48 44/48 - 92.....I will say, my tee shots, irons, and putter were all working.  Even with a 92, I must have easily lost 10-12 shots from just around the green.  Frustrating but it tells me what to focus on.  Stats 1 Birdie 3 Pars 9 Bogeys 5 Double + 4 GIR 35 Putts 1 Penalty Sunday, I played at my home course.  Front 9 was nothing special as I went out with a 45 and I then proceeded to light it up on the first half of the back 9.  I started out Par, Birdie, Par, Par putting me -1 after 4 holes and E after 5 holes.   I then had a disappointing finish of Double, Par, Bogey, Double.  Finished 45/41 - 86 for the lowest round of the year.   4 rounds in with scores of 89,87,92,86 so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.  I am feeling much more comfortable on most shots from a driver to a putter.  Just need to get the feel back for around the green and hopefully the scores/handicap will drop.  In those 4 rounds, I have 5 birdies.  In 2019, it took me 16 rounds to get 5 birdies.  Stats 1 Birdie 6 Pars 7 Bogeys 4 Double + 6 GIR 32 Putts 1 Penalty  
    • I will and try to get some swing video this weekend.  My daughter is letting me use her fancy phone stand and I will be able to get behind the line and face on.  I will even put my Zepp on and give you the data from it for that swing.  That is weather permitting, right now in Central Texas with weather can be iffy with rain and thunderstorms.  That, and it is getting hotter than Hades already.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Cwmgr
      Cwmgr
      (43 years old)
    2. Gfleck067
      Gfleck067
      (31 years old)
    3. golf82
      golf82
      (61 years old)
    4. JKnowlton
      JKnowlton
      (32 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...