cooke119

Do Adjustable Hosels Really Change Loft?

24 posts / 1991 viewsLast Reply

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I did a little photo exercise with two identical Titleist 917 D2 drivers with 10.5 loft. It shows the face angle change at address with the club soled lying on a flat floor. 

Here is standard. The lie slightly open to my eye.

64840329-3129-4618-8BA6-2674405DBB90.jpeg

Here is same loft but 2 degrees upright and one flat. The upright is slightly closed to my eye and the B1 a bit more open than A1.

8C170F7A-6931-4721-8FEE-5BD79CE9E908.jpeg

Extremes: 12.5, 2 degrees upright and 9.5 1 degree flat. Left is closed, right is the most open.

487613C7-9FBF-4732-A754-E30D51D45D92.jpeg

The opposite, 9.5 2 degrees upright, 12.5 1 degree flat. I didn’t see much of a difference but right was slightly more open. The photo is off a bit on angle.

E346414F-E525-4874-9E32-C1BAF11D47F5.jpeg

But most importantly, I aim the face and don’t rely on the way it looks soled. The tee box is never flat and I open the face at address because my swing path is in to out.

Uh, I don't know how your eyes work, but in none of your pics do the clubshafts appear parallel! Thus, your comparisons are bogus! 

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I think you’re misunderstanding how adjustable drivers work. The change in loft only presents itself if you square the face. And if you square the face, it’s not closed...

Oh wow! A square clubface does not appear closed! Well, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! What a brilliant observation! That's what I said in my post. you have to open the clubface to get it to look normal, and gain any advantage the additional loft might give you!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Oh wow! A square clubface does not appear closed! Well, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! What a brilliant observation! That's what I said in my post. you have to open the clubface to get it to look normal, and gain any advantage the additional loft might give you!

Ugh. If you have the type of hosel that closes the face when you increase the loft and sole it, it’s slightly closed. Then you square the face. How? You rotate it open. Face square, loft presented higher.

You said yourself that you don’t like to sole your driver and you like the face square at address. You’re exactly the type of person who can use these types of hosels  correctly.

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Uh, I don't know how your eyes work, but in none of your pics do the clubshafts appear parallel! Thus, your comparisons are bogus! 

My eyes work fine. It was difficult to get the shaft parallel in the photos, but I assure you, they were. They were shared for comparison, but I think you are still missing the point.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, boogielicious said:

because my swing path is in to out.

humble brag season 4 GIF by Blindspot