IGNORED

putter, insert or none?

Note: This thread is 5897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. insert or none?

• plastic insert
    • milled face
    • grooved face
    • dont care

dp you prefer a insert in the face of your putter or plane milled face?

Whats in my bag

Irons 2-pw mp-32 s300

fairway wood big bertha fusion 3+ 13* aldila nvs 55-sDriver 440sz 7.5* gs-6 s-flexwedge 56* SI beryllium wedge 52* MP seriesball hx tourputter hummmm

Right now I'm playing a Yes! putter and can't complain. not that I'm a great putter (average around 36 putts a round) but I do notice a much better initial roll with the Yes! over my last POC Hippo putter.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

I play a really cheap putter. It puts the ball in the hole just fine.
I was thinking of upgrading to something fancy until I saw the putter Tiger uses. It looks pretty plain.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I am not really concerned what the putter looks like or what type of face it has. I have just tried a few putters and picked the ones that I think feel the best.

Currently in the bag is a TaylorMade Rossa Monza and this year I may change over to the Yes! Natalie or Hannah as they are both very tempting after hearing about how the Yes! putters get the ball rolling sooner.

We shall see how the season goes...

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

For me....the choice of insert or no insert depends on the green conditions and type of putter. For a mallet that has a heavier head when I am putting on greens <12 slope readings....I prefer an insert and carry a Odyssey XG Rossie. For greater than 12 slope....I go with a Ping Anser blade without insert to get a little more natural feedback response (feel and sound). I am also thinking of going out an getting a Ping Karsten which has a solid face with an insert in the back cavity to get little softer response (I can't believe that those can be purchased for $89...what a deal...but better yet...a true Ping which has been mimic by so many....including Scotty).

I prefer no insert. I have an older stainless ping b60 and I really like the feel.
I think that inserts can be the cause of some loss of distance on mis-hits. I really like to have some feedback about my stroke too. There is nothing sweeter then hitting the sweetspot on a non-insert putter.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I was thinking of upgrading to something fancy until I saw the putter Tiger uses. It looks pretty plain.

And very expensive :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

my current putter is the first one i've had that has no insert.
I quite like the sound and feel off it.
It doesn't make much difference on the greens I play 90% of the time. And the 10% of the time that the greens are good - I seem to putt much better on.

So my answer would be "don't care"

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I prefer the insert.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Gotta say, I've just changed from a White Hot to a Redwood, and definitely wouldn't go back.

In my Freestyle standbag

Driver: FTiQ 10° Reg ZCOM Shaft
3 Wood: G10 5 wood TFC 129 Stiff Shaft
Irons: I5 3-PW DG R300 steel shaftsWedges: 54° Vokey SM & 58° Vokey SMPutter: Redwood AnserBall: Z-Star

Right now I am gaming my SC Studio Style Newport II which I guess has a milled insert. This provides a good amount of feedback, less than than a solid face and much, much more than a true urethane insert (which I am not a fan of).

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

I prefer either a plain face or a grooved one. Love my Yes! Sophia putter. I am not a fan of soft feel at all. Like a good firm feel, yet not a 'click' noise. THe two best putters I have ever hit are my current gamer and the Cleveland Classic (Scotty Cameron Napa Head before his affiliation with Titleist)

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I have a LOT of putters, but I always go back to my od Ping Pal2. I took it to Golf Galaxy Saturday and had a new Winn grip installed.

Joe

In the bag at this point

Adams RPM 9.5°
Adams Tightlies Strong 3 16°
Adams Tightlies Strong 7 24°Hogan CFT Hybrid 3Hogan CFT irons (5-P)Alien SWCameron Futura 2 35"Top Flight Gamer

Note: This thread is 5897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!