IGNORED

My Swing (The Be Boy)

The Be Boy
Note: This thread is 1511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 35-40
My typical ball flight is: Push or Draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Duffs and Tops

Hi All

Been playing for a few months and really struggle with tops, duffs, just not striking it well at all.   I pretty much spray balls all over the fairway too but not to fussed about that at the minute.  Been to see a coach and he showed me a few things.  He wanted me to attack the ball on a steeper plane, move my head less and shift my weight more/come forward when I swing.  I've already started to implement the changes and they're paying off.  Still struggle to make good connection with the ball, and the distance is all over the place.  The coach said I should be able to hit a 7 iron 155-160 (instead of the 130-140 I hit it now) with my swing speed when I'm going for it, but whenever I try to go over what feels like 60-70% I cant make contact.  The few times I have struck it really well when I swing hard I'm knocking the ball miles but it's so few and fair between it's not worth it.   

I have started to try and swing in as big of a arc as possible and that seems to have improved my striking a lot.  And a friend mentioned today that I'm not holding the my lag long enough in the down swing, but I'm not really sure how to address that, or whether I even should at this stage.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Videos: 

[Delete this, Embed Videos Here - https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/]

• Administrator

I'm pretty sure you can't see the ball here:

image.png

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Be Boy said:

I have a tendency to over swing but I can see the ball.  Admittedly sometimes it feels like I'm looking at it from the corner of my eye.

Right. Your upper torso and head move around a LOT. Needlessly.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, The Be Boy said:

I have a tendency to over swing but I can see the ball.  Admittedly sometimes it feels like I'm looking at it from the corner of my eye.

Cheers

Unless you have a stiff or fused neck your head should not turn that much.  A little is fine.  A little.  What did your pro say about your head turn?

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Unless you have a stiff or fused neck your head should not turn that much.  A little is fine.  A little.  What did your pro say about your head turn?

he gave me a drill for it, there were a few drills he gave me for certain things but it's slow going.  

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right. Your upper torso and head move around a LOT. Needlessly.

I have tried thinking about keeping my head still during the swing and that's helped it a bit.  But it's slow going.

Cheers  

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, The Be Boy said:

I have tried thinking about keeping my head still during the swing and that's helped it a bit.  But it's slow going.

Generally speaking, figure out what is making your head move, rather than just trying to "not move your head."

If you know what I mean…

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Generally speaking, figure out what is making your head move, rather than just trying to "not move your head."

If you know what I mean…

It almost looks like his shoulder is moving his chin, thus turning his head.

6 hours ago, iacas said:

If you know what I mean…

Well I’d probably guess it was me over swinging that’s causing my head and then body move. But even before the club gets that high my torso seems to be bobbling up and down a lot so who know.  

Cheers

5 hours ago, The Be Boy said:

Well I’d probably guess it was me over swinging that’s causing my head and then body move. But even before the club gets that high my torso seems to be bobbling up and down a lot so who know.  

Cheers

Check out the thread below.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

So I tried to practice keeping my head in place and really stretching out my left arm when I take a back swing and it's mad a huge difference in results.  It seems now my good strikes are really good hits, and I connect really well and my bad strikes are what I would have considered good before so that's progress.  

Still need to stop over swinging. @boogielicious, I plan to give those drills you sent a go next time I'm at the range.  I've just been focusing on trying to stretch my arm and keep my head still at the moment. 

Played 9 holes today and was excited about what it was going to be like, but unfortunately it hasn't translated yet.  Was hitting lots of big pushes right and just not hitting it well at all.  Guess it's going to take a while to translate to on the course.  I read a thread here about a similar issue and it said to basically change clubs every time you hit a ball which makes sense.  I've been hitting my 6 iron for 20 balls and grooving it and hitting it really well, but it always takes a few swings before I can get in that grove with another club.  

Next range session to do list:

do what feels like a half swing everything

not hit the same club twice

I am starting to hit a big hook occasionally now where I never did before.  If anyone's got any ideas how to nip it in the bud before it becomes ingrained that'd be awesome. Tends to happen more on the 4 hybrid and 5,6 irons, 4h and 5i especially.

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!