IGNORED

2 Man Scramble

RetiredOldMan
Note: This thread is 1460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good Morning All, 

I last played in a July 4th tournament in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1970. (Maybe 1971)

Well, my golfing partner signed us up for a 2 man scramble for tomorrow at Ellis Golf Club in Ellis, Kansas. ( I live about 40 minutes away from there now. )

It is a nine hole, well kept up, and fun course to play. Very forgiving if you just stay in the fairway. (Aren't they all)

My partner is 61 years old with an 8 handicap and I am 73 with a 17.9 handicap. Since this is a scramble, we are hoping to do well. 

Will post scores and critique when I get back tomorrow. A little cool for our taste but hey, maybe the good gofers will stay home. 

Wish me luck please. 😄

Retired Old Man

Edited by RetiredOldMan
corrected typing error

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you and your partner have a strategy?  Off the tee, typically the shorter hitter goes first.  When an acceptable tee shot is in the bank, the longer hitter can swing freely.  On approach shots, the less skilled player's job is to put his shot in a safe spot where you likely will be able to get it up and down or 2 putt for par.  Putting, allow the better putter to watch the first putt.  Good luck.

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 2

Brian Kuehn

This is sound advise for the most part. But each partner has to understand how they "are" on that particular day. I would usually putt before my buddy because If he got a look at the line, it would be pretty much over. But, one day, he couldn't find the line to save his, or our, souls! We finally decided to reverse the batting order, and we won the match! You have to be willing to change things up.

That should be fun! A word of advice on the greens (this is from our 4ball scrambles but you can apply it to your 2ball): when you have a birdie putt have one person play safe, get it close to the hole so the other can get aggressive. Same off the tee and, really, all over the course.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

(edited)

Sorry to be so late in posting. 

1. Morning started off cold and cloudy.

2. Wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts around 40 mph. 

3. Temperature was 45* and wind chill at 38*. 

4. Paid my money, ate doughnut and had a cup of coffee. Tee of was around 9:15 a.m. and we started on hole #2. 

5. Had a strong wind to our back. Par 4, and my partner drives to the edge of the green. (Fairway is a dog leg to the right and my partner shoots across the trees and just to the edge of the green. He is using the white tees.) (I hit from the shorter green tees and lay up beside him. We chip on and 1 put for a birdie.)

6. That was our 1st and last good whole. 😞 

7. Cold and windy and miserable until the last 4 holes of an 18 whole tournament. I did miss longest putt by 1 1/2". (18 feet) 

8. We shot a 40 on the front and a 39 on the back. 

9. After it was over, we loaded up the cart and left. We know we didn't win anything and couldn't sit around inside because of the virus rules. 

10. We were very disappointed...........we didn't do better. 

11. Would we do this again? Well,,,,,,,,,Absolutely!! 😄 

12. I play this for fun and exercise and winning is fun too. It was just that yesterday wasn't our day for being on the leader board. 

Our next course to play next week I think is closed. So, I will just keep practicing until the week after. 

Surely we will warm up and have better days. 

Thank you for the advice and tips. 

Now it is "Nap Time" again.

Retired Old Man

Edited by RetiredOldMan
corrected typing error

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

I turn 78 next month and I always felt that scrambles were just for fun. Played many with my wife and you win some and you lose some. But seeing the conditions you played in I am not sure I would/could do well in them at all. We too just play for exercise and enjoyment of the day on the course. Have a good nap and come back fighting next time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2020 at 5:09 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

Good Morning All, 

I last played in a July 4th tournament in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1970. (Maybe 1971)

Well, my golfing partner signed us up for a 2 man scramble for tomorrow at Ellis Golf Club in Ellis, Kansas. ( I live about 40 minutes away from there now. )

It is a nine hole, well kept up, and fun course to play. Very forgiving if you just stay in the fairway. (Aren't they all)

My partner is 61 years old with an 8 handicap and I am 73 with a 17.9 handicap. Since this is a scramble, we are hoping to do well. 

Will post scores and critique when I get back tomorrow. A little cool for our taste but hey, maybe the good gofers will stay home. 

Wish me luck please. 😄

Retired Old Man

2 man scramble, that's a great format. I would just love to play golf again, but big brother in the UK says NOOOO

- Simon Hornsby

Note: This thread is 1460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!