IGNORED

How good is the average casual golfer?

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 5890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, I am currently a 26 handicap, and it is a very honest handicap because I count all my strokes and penalites and built a spreadsheet to calculate everything (I'm an engineer so I like doing that kind of thing). I don't consider myself a good golfer but it seems that when I go to the range I'm usually above average. When I go to the high-end public course range I seem to hit the ball about average to slightly above average compared to the other people out there, and when I go to the crappy range / batting cages close to my house I'm almost always the best one there.

I don't know but I'm glad you keep a true score, most do not. It will help you in the long run.

Just a casual observation from a long-time caddie at good private courses around minneapolis: I think the average player (with no mullies or gimmes) is about a hundred shooter (somewhere in the 25 to 28 handicap range).

Ping Rapture 12* Aldila Stiff
Ping Hybrid 19* Aldila Stiff
Power Bilt "Scotch Blades" Steel Stiff 3-PW
Ping Eye-2 SW
Ping Anser Putter

OK, I am currently a 26 handicap, and it is a very honest handicap because I count all my strokes and penalites and built a spreadsheet to calculate everything (I'm an engineer so I like doing that kind of thing). I don't consider myself a good golfer but it seems that when I go to the range I'm usually above average. When I go to the high-end public course range I seem to hit the ball about average to slightly above average compared to the other people out there, and when I go to the crappy range / batting cages close to my house I'm almost always the best one there.

Posters have listed average scores in two ways. By handicap and score. The average score as stated by Frank Thomas is around 100. Since the majority of casual (non handicap) golfers do not follow rules strictly that is probably close. Regular or Avid golfers, those that play 15 rounds a year or more and keep a usga handicap average around 15. Since handicap is low five out of the last ten this probably means an average score close to 90. My average score when I was an 18 was between 92 and 96. Now my handicap is 5 shots lower but my average score is more like 7 shots lower 85 - 87. You get more consistent as your handicap drops I guess.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I've played in lots of different states, various caliber of courses, with various ages. I can safely say that, in my opinion of that cohort of people, that if the average recreational golfer - which I'll define as 20 rounds/year - is easily a 25 or higher index.

Virtually NOBODY plays by the actual rules. They roll their balls, don't take penalties, take liberal gimmes, etc... Simply said, they rarely hit a GIR and frequently three-putt, which equates to at least a double bogey. The rare par is likely cancelled by a triple or higher. In the end, I think it's safe to say most people double-bogey their way around a course (36), and it's only the ESC and optimistic nature of the index formula that would bring it down to 25-ish.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I'm only as good as my golf balls will let me be. With that said, my golf balls are a*&holes; sometimes...lol I am still working on connecting well with the ball - but it's still a blast. I would say I'm a 30s handicapper easy, but I haven't tried to play a handicap game yet.

In my bag you'll find:

Irons[SIZE="1"] Big Bertha X-Fuision 5 ~ PW (graphite)
Hybrids 3DX Genex 2i (17*) and 4i (23*) (steel)
SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

I'm only as good as my golf balls will let me be. With that said, my golf balls are a*&holes; sometimes...lol I am still working on connecting well with the ball - but it's still a blast. I would say I'm a 30s handicapper easy, but I haven't tried to play a handicap game yet.

If you kept past scorecards, you can quickly calculate your handicap. It won't be official, so you can't use it in a tournament, but for purposes of tracking your own improvement, it's a great number to know.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!