IGNORED

How good is the average casual golfer?

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, I am currently a 26 handicap, and it is a very honest handicap because I count all my strokes and penalites and built a spreadsheet to calculate everything (I'm an engineer so I like doing that kind of thing). I don't consider myself a good golfer but it seems that when I go to the range I'm usually above average. When I go to the high-end public course range I seem to hit the ball about average to slightly above average compared to the other people out there, and when I go to the crappy range / batting cages close to my house I'm almost always the best one there.

My problem is that it seems like everyone you talk to about golf usually shoots "around 90". Well my all time best is a 92; are most of these people lying and if not where do they practice? In my group from work we have about 8 people that play occasionally and I usually win with a score around 100, although there are a couple other guys who can beat me. When I play with my dad and his friends they usually shoot around 90 so they are better than me (my dad is a 6 so he usually shoots in the high 70s), but most of them are in their 50s and have been playing for 25 years. I can hit the ball past most of them but they have me beat on consistency.

So my question is this: of the hundreds of thousands of golfers teeing it up on a Saturday morning all over the world, what is the true median score shot (no mulligans, gimmies outside a foot, etc..)? My guess is its around 110, but I don't really play courses that cost over $50 so the play may be better at higher-end courses. What do yall think?

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

OK, I am currently a 26 handicap, and it is a very honest handicap because I count all my strokes and penalites and built a spreadsheet to calculate everything (I'm an engineer so I like doing that kind of thing). I don't consider myself a good golfer but it seems that when I go to the range I'm usually above average. When I go to the high-end public course range I seem to hit the ball about average to slightly above average compared to the other people out there, and when I go to the crappy range / batting cages close to my house I'm almost always the best one there.

There's no real way to know what they shot without mulligans or gimmes, because they rarely play the tee shot that they called mulligan after and they certainly aren't putting out gimmes (lest the trend of gimmes from their friends cease). Your 92 is an honest one. Your 85, when it happens, will be an honest one. Both times that I've threatened to break the next scoring barrier (100 when it was that, and now 90), my honesty kept me out of it: "hitting three" instead of "mulligan" cost me my first chance in the 90s (I've since had many rounds in the 90s, legitimately). Just the other day, my 91 included a 2-stroke penalty for grounding my club in the sand. Would've been my first sub-90 otherwise. There are people who play better courses and play better, not because the course is better, but because the people willing to drop $100 on a round of golf have typically learned how to play by then.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is been my experience that a large percentage of casual golfers do not strictly adhere to the rules of golf. The casual golfers I've played with improve lies, take mulligans and don't always putt out. I've been playing for a few years and have many times breached the rules (only in casual rounds)

Over the last year I've made a commitment to improve my game and am establishing a handicap. The only way I can chart my improvement is to count all of my strokes and play according to the rules (my cheating days are over and It's a real accomplishment now when I break 90).

I agree with you that a large percentage of these "casual" golfers who state they shoot "around 90" would rarely break 100 (or even 110) if they counted every shot and played according to the rules. It seems to me that it would be very difficult to determine the median score for golfers who don't play by the rules. In my opinion there isn't anything wrong with friends playing a casual game where mulligans are acceptable...I've just become too obsessed about improvement to continue my old ways.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I do the same thing when I am with my friends. Hand wedge is what we call it.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade BurnerIrons: Fusion 5-AwHybrids: Idea 3i/17 deg-4i/21 degPutter: Never Compromise VoodooBall: Whatever I find, currently TP Black

I agree with you that a large percentage of these "casual" golfers who state the shoot "around 90" would rarely break 100 (or even 110) if they counted every shot and played according to the rules.

Harvey P. had a story about this when he had guests at his club. I think he said something about they didn't really break 90 - on the front nine!

No, no, that's the foot wedge. The hand wedge is only for out of the bunker. Hold the sand wedge in your left hand, thump the sand so a big cloud flies up between you and your friends, and in the same motion, sweep the ball with your right hand out of the bunker and onto the green. Remember to throw it underhand so it looks real!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hard to say what the average is out there. You cant really judge your game by the range though. What does that tell you. I go to the range to learn new shots or improve upon a problem that occured during a previous round.

Cant put to much stock in driving ranges.

The local course that I go to though, most of the people that play there are horrible. Doesnt open for another month though, and I usually go after work and play two balls, just to not lose my mind at how slow the play is.

Handicap when I played last was 6.9, guessing now its around 12 or 15. Hoping to get back down into the single digits this year. Taking time off sucks.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

The average golfer does not keep a handicap. If you've tracked your average round to 26 over, this is not your handicap. It's likely closer to 20 as your handicap is a measure of your best rounds. Perhaps your spreadsheet takes this into account

I would say that if you play at least 2 times per week and have done so for several years, shooting low 90's should be fairly simple. Not easy, but simple. When I wanted to break 100 for the first time. I committed to reaching each green in a minimum of 3 shots with a maximum of 2 puts. It wasn't long before I never saw 100's again. I've read that the average man who carries a handicap has a registered handicap of 15...Golf Magazine. Of course the average golfer does not carry a handicap nor does he/she know how to calculate one.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

I would assume if you are looking for the average handicap of all golfers, it would probably fall between scratch and 15.

I have no proof of this so I'm not trying to tell you it's true... but the people that play on municipal courses in Memphis only account for a relatively small % of the total golfers in my area. Alot more own houses on private courses or have club memberships around here.

Based on my area, I would say that over half of all the golfers I see on municipals shoot better than a 20 handicap. I am also assuming that people who pay to play at one of Memphis' ungodly expensive clubs are, on average, better than the group of people I see playing municipals.

Going on all my assumptions, that is why I say the average handicap is between 0-15.

(Assumptions are bad... mmm'kay.)

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

I would assume if you are looking for the average handicap of all golfers, it would probably fall between scratch and 15.

I would agree with your sentiment, but would suggest the average registered handicap is 15 or between 10 & 20. This is Golf Magazines opinion and would be consistent with my men's league

In the Bag

My buddies are a little more in touch with the ethics and standards of this great game we call golf and I'm sure that even the great Bobby Jones would be proud to walk the course with our foursome. You see we dont play a HAND wedge we opt out for the foot wedge. The foot wedge is a much trickier club to manage for distance and direction than the hand wedge.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Can't hit a barn from 100 yards.

IMHO and if I understand 'average casual golfer'.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I have heard multiple times that less than 10% of "golfers" actually break 100 on a regular basis. I don't know if this is true, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

It is in fact true. The majority of golfers, I think between 70-75%, do not break 100. You usually don't see those guys on any of these forums though because they just don't care, haha. No biggy though, just makes the ones who break 100 in the minority of "better than average".. Only 22 percent of all golfers break 90

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

It is in fact true. The majority of golfers, I think between 70-75%, do not break 100. You usually don't see those guys on any of these forums though because they just don't care, haha. No biggy though, just makes the ones who break 100 in the minority of "better than average".. Only 22 percent of all golfers break 90

The best I've ever shot was a 104 on a par 72...

I'm close!

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

Dave, I agree that most golfers don't break 100.If they new the rules and went by them, they probably would shot about 110. It's ashame that more people don't follow the rules of the game.Personally,I wish the ones that use the foot and hand wedges would just go to the driving ranges and stay off the course.

Dave, I agree that most golfers don't break 100.If they new the rules and went by them, they probably would shot about 110. It's ashame that more people don't follow the rules of the game.Personally,I wish the ones that use the foot and hand wedges would just go to the driving ranges and stay off the course.

haha, yeah.. sometimes I want them to stay off the course too, but that is just my competitive nature poking it's head out. Most of the time I am glad that they foot wedge or pickup and place because if they didn't i would be playing 7 hour rounds behind them, lol

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Titleist ProV1 Ball

The rules are simply not promoted enough. We golfers have to police our courses...

my course does not allow t-shirts, but I see them all the time. If the rules were enforced...more people would follow them and respect the game.

In the Bag

The rules are simply not promoted enough. We golfers have to police our courses...

I agree with that 100% limoric, it's hard though because people have a hard time taking you seriously when you walk up to them wearing a collared shirt tucked into your short shorts golf shorts while wearing size 14 golf shoes.

hmmm.. I wonder if I could become a golf marshal with peace officer status so that I can enforce as needed (and still make a decent salary).. any course owners on here wanna hire me?? Free membership though right?? haha

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!