IGNORED

Help Fill My Gap

Note: This thread is 1397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know the correct answer is schedule some time on a TrackMan or FlightScope but that option is a 2.5-3hr drive plus corona is still going around. I need a 215-225ish club and currently I've got a gap between my 3w and my 4i.

• 3w = 230+
  • 4i = 200-210

Recently purchased a TS2 Driver, TS2 3W so the no brainer thing to do may just go ahead and get the matching 5w but was wondering if a hybrid would be a better option. Anyone else on here with similar distances who have a 5w or a hybrid that fills this yardage?

:titleist:

What will you be using the club for? Will it mainly be for approaches into par 5s, will it be for off the tee on narrow/short par 4s, a combination of both, etc.

If you want something to fill a gap off the tee, then a 3 iron/driving iron might be worth looking into. But if you are consistently faced with a 220 yd shot for second shots into par 5s then I'd probably go with hybrid/5W.

For deciding on 5W/hybrid, thats going to be really tough to do without a launch monitor/proper fitting, but if you know you prefer the bigger shape of the 5W over a hybrid, then just go with the 5W.

I personally have a 3 iron instead of a hybrid/5W and I mainly use the 3 iron as a driving iron off the tee but occasionally use it into par 5s too without issue. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, klineka said:

What will you be using the club for? Will it mainly be for approaches into par 5s, will it be for off the tee on narrow/short par 4s, a combination of both, etc.

All of this but primarily approach shots. Seem to find myself in that 220ish yardage quite often on several of the courses I play and I'll always pull the 4i to play the short miss vs the 3wood miss that goes long.

9 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

All of this but primarily approach shots. Seem to find myself in that 220ish yardage quite often on several of the courses I play and I'll always pull the 4i to play the short miss vs the 3wood miss that goes long.

Yeah I would probably lean towards the 5w/hybrid then instead of a driving iron.

Do you have a preference of head shape between 5w and hybrid? Without getting on a launch monitor its always going to be kind of a guessing game.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Yeah I would probably lean towards the 5w/hybrid then instead of a driving iron.

Do you have a preference of head shape between 5w and hybrid? Without getting on a launch monitor its always going to be kind of a guessing game.

Always preferred a wood shape over the hybrids but I know hybrids are really good clubs. I'm leaning towards the 5w because I hit the ts2 3w really well.

7 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

I know the correct answer is schedule some time on a TrackMan or FlightScope but that option is a 2.5-3hr drive plus corona is still going around. I need a 215-225ish club and currently I've got a gap between my 3w and my 4i.

• 3w = 230+
  • 4i = 200-210

Recently purchased a TS2 Driver, TS2 3W so the no brainer thing to do may just go ahead and get the matching 5w but was wondering if a hybrid would be a better option. Anyone else on here with similar distances who have a 5w or a hybrid that fills this yardage?

If you like FW's get a 5W...otherwise get a 3H...maybe a 18* 3H?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Anyone else on here with similar distances who have a 5w or a hybrid that fills this yardage?

I have similar distances to yours and I have a 3h and 5W. I prefer the 5W because over the ball I’m more comfortable looking down at a fairway wood shape, but I usually carry the hybrid because I find it more versatile. Tried a couple utility irons and didn’t like them. They both had graphite shafts, and just didn’t feel right, maybe because the shaft felt too light, can’t explain it better than that.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I play a 4 iron at 205 carry, 3 hybrid adjusted to 20 degrees 220 carry and a 2 hybrid (17 deg) instead of a 3 wood at 235 carry

Edited by Inferno2ss
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 1397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!