IGNORED

My Swing (bweiss711)

bweiss711
Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Maybe only a little too hunched.

I'm not sure your right hand is really on the club near the top.

I don't mind a shut face but the whole downswing move is not really compatible with what you're doing.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe only a little too hunched.

I'm not sure your right hand is really on the club near the top.

I don't mind a shut face but the whole downswing move is not really compatible with what you're doing.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm still working to find a consistent spine angle that I feel I can repeat shot after shot.  Good to know that there is a point where its too hunched over.  But I do believe the main point would be to maintain the spine angle from address through impact.  Hopefully, I'll find something I can repeat.

As for the right hand, i think this is a remnant of the Hogan book.  He says the thumb and finger really shouldn't do anything active in the swing, and recommends taking practice swings without them on the club.  I don't even think about that anymore, and its something that just happens.  Perhaps I should be a little more conscious about what im doing with the grip throughout the backswing.

As for whats happening in the downswing, im confident you're correct.  I just don't think im there yet in terms of starting to work on that.  Still have plenty to do in terms of grip, stance, steady head, and basic things like that.  Would you recommend i focus on things like face control in parallel to those?

• Administrator
3 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

As for the right hand, i think this is a remnant of the Hogan book.  He says the thumb and finger really shouldn't do anything active in the swing, and recommends taking practice swings without them on the club.  I don't even think about that anymore, and its something that just happens.  Perhaps I should be a little more conscious about what im doing with the grip throughout the backswing.

No, the base of your right hand is off the club at the top of the backswing.

image.png

Something appears to be quite wrong there.

The left hand looks palmy and the right hand is barely on the club.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, iacas said:

No, the base of your right hand is off the club at the top of the backswing.

image.png

Something appears to be quite wrong there.

The left hand looks palmy and the right hand is barely on the club.

Much appreciated.  So much to work on.  I'll look to get those hands in a more conventional position.

Those wrists are probably another one of my many moving parts.  I don't have a consistent stance, spine angle goes up and down, head moving all over the place, spaghetti legs, and my hands probably don't get to that ugly looking position consistently either. 

Its a miracle I hit the ball so well last weekend. And it turns out it really was a miracle, to the surprise of no one who read that message I'm sure.  I've played 27 holes since then, and haven't hit a single drive anywhere close to resembling one that I hit last weekend.

• Administrator

I mean, I'd stop almost everything that you're doing and really look at why you're doing this. This is one of the bigger versions of this "taking your hand off the grip" that I've ever seen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iacas said:

I mean, I'd stop almost everything that you're doing and really look at why you're doing this. This is one of the bigger versions of this "taking your hand off the grip" that I've ever seen.

I'm honored? 

But seriously, this is some of the best feedback i could possibly ask for.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

I'm honored? 

But seriously, this is some of the best feedback i could possibly ask for.

It might not take long to figure it out. It might not be difficult to fix.

But, you'll want to make sure what you discover holds up at speed. You may even need some odd camera angles so you can really see what the right hand is doing. It might be "fine" at slow speeds but as the club has momentum it will get looser if you don't fix it properly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since I've posted here.  Just want to provide an update about how this season has finished up.

The last bit of feedback I received was about my hands at the top of the backswing, and that my right hand coming off was as severe as anything @iacas has seen.  This feedback came the day after I had completed my worst round of the summer.  Which came in the same week I posted a message with the video showing what my right hand was doing while simultaneously trying to state I think I had some kind of breakthrough because I had just shot literally the best round of my life a day earlier.  So that week was quite a whirlwind of emotion for me.

I did go back to the drawing board and try to address what was going on.  A couple fixes included weakening my left hand grip a touch, strengthening my right hand grip a touch, and trying to manage the length of the backswing as best I could.  That hand seemed like it would fly off the grip the further past parallel I would get.  Those tweaks seemed to work.  I was making good, consistent contact into my net in the back yard, and I felt like I had found something.   I was gun-shy of putting it on camera again, because I was worried that I'd end up doing something different, presenting it as if that's what I had been doing to be successful, and end up going in a cycle of confidence and doubt all over again.

Basically, I decided if I was able to "feel" my way to something that was working, I wasn't going to mess with it. I'd just take it to the course, and try to ride out the rest of the season.  Then during the winter, I'll try to get all scientific and break everything down.  I just wanted to play golf, and not get all up in my head about it on the course.  Long term, I know I need to work at being more aware of what's going on in my swing.   

Anyways, I'm happy with that decision, and here is how the rest of the year has played out:

image.png.2dbf11000fa3e4d2fe0c92ccd98b425e.png

That 14.6 differential was the best round of my life which prompted my post saying I fixed my swing.  Then the 27.8 two rounds later was the worst round of the summer, quickly followed by the feedback that my right hand in my swing was a severe problem.  Those next 7 or 8 days was me trying to work on that.  And then the rest of the summer is by far the best stretch of golf in my life.

My goal this year was to get to an 18 index.  I was a 24.5 coming into this season.  These past 6 weeks got me down to a 17.3, so I'm ecstatic about that (which is an understatement).  Even those last couple rounds, I wish I had shot better, but again, I was a 24.5 index 6 months ago.  Those rounds would have literally been the best rounds of my life if they happened in the spring. So, I just need to keep that in perspective.  Shooting 95 used to be a dream.  Now its a disappointment.

I've come a long way this year.  If nothing else, I've proven to myself that improvement is possible.  But this year has also shown how much further I have to come.  This offseason will be about actually understanding what the swing is supposed to be, and how to get myself to be able to execute and repeat it using more than just "feel".  Hopefully, progress throughout the winter will be documented here.

In a few weeks or so, I'll probably post the "baseline" swing, and work from there.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread this season, specifically @iacas and @Grizvok. The feedback and support one can receive on this site is pretty incredible.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!