IGNORED

Putting With an Iron

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was looking at the birdie challenge and @iacas made the comment about a tap in with a sand wedge.   I've tried to putt with various irons using the leading edge to putt.  What is the preferred way to putt using an iron?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Putting With an Iron

I had been using PW,9i,8i to putt during a round with nothing riding on the outcome.

Can't say I used SW, because the extra bounce on the SW is great to glide over the sand but not too friendly when catching a piece of turf.  Anything longer than the 8 iron tend to be too long and difficult to find the balance.  PW is about the same length as the putter ( grip down on the PW).  I had also used the PW to putt when the green speed is slow, like just after top dressing or aerating .   A few times I just used the PW for greenside chip then use the same club for putting ( lazy to get back to the bag for the putter ).  

Although I do well with the PW double as the putter, I would never use any other club except for my putter on the greens when every stroke counts.

• Administrator

Putting with a lob wedge is pretty easy. The sole is heavy with the bounce/glide, and so you just blade it at or just above the equator.

The sweet spot is often a little in the heel.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are some blades that work well as putters if you putt off-handed.  I used to do that at a par 3 course years ago.  I'd get to the green right-handed then putt left-handed with my Wilson Staff 9 iron.  It even works with cavity backs if the flange is big enough.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 8/20/2020 at 2:28 AM, dennyjones said:

I was looking at the birdie challenge and @iacas made the comment about a tap in with a sand wedge.   I've tried to putt with various irons using the leading edge to putt.  What is the preferred way to putt using an iron?

A chipper is perfect for putting. Just use the putter stroke and see the ball roll straight. Mine has no offset so everything is straight. My chipper is also my most accurate approach club. Just dont want to go anywhere but where I aim. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, dennyjones said:

What is the preferred way to putt using an iron?

I prefer it to go into the hole. Tap-ins can be done pretty safely with a sand wedge (or any iron) and its really easy. Anything beyond that I use the putter.  When I worked at the club in college we used to play up/down games with a single club and you can do pretty well putting by blading it. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 1352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!