IGNORED

Ever throw a club on the course?

Pedo
Note: This thread is 5991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Have you ever thrown a club on the golf course

• Yes
    • No
    • No (but I sure wanted to)

ill toss a club every once in a while, not fling them or anything. it feels good to toss one a few feet every once in a while to let your anger out, sorry i know thats not right, but ill usually just drop the club after a string of bad shots and think to myself, "What the heck was that?"
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but it's been so long that I cannot remember when exactly I last did it. I have however, slammed my club into the ground as recently as last season.

And that's one of the things I'm vowing to improve on this year. Two seasons ago I had one of the best seasons I've ever had. Made a lot of improvements and scored very well (got down to a 13 handicap). Then, this past season I had extremely high expectations, and often got angry when I struggled. I came into the season expecting to better my previous one, only to find that my handicap went up by three strokes instead (as high as 16, but I managed to get it to 15 by season's end).

So this coming season I am vowing not to make it "results-based". I think I put too much pressure on myself last season, and it hurt my game. I still want to improve, but I'm going to play the game for fun first, and hopefully the results will naturally follow. That, and I don't think people enjoy playing with an angry golfer. So there's some extra motivation.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I threw my five iron into the woods one time with no intentions of ever going to look for it. I was playing my last round with this particular set of clubs as I was going to buy a nicer, newer set the next day (a decision made well before I became angry enough to throw the club) and the whole time I foolishly was thinking that my poor play was a result of these "crappy old clubs." So, on #17 after I chunked my first five iron shot about twenty feet and then slicing the second shot deep into the woods on the second shot, I sent the five iron deep into the woods after the ball with a string of expletives following it. That felt good until I turned around and saw the disappointed look on my golf buddy's face, then I felt like a huge putz.

Now, I don't throw, toss, bag slam, or hit the ground/cart path with my club. I try my best to play the game as a gentleman and act accordingly.

In My Grom Bag:

Driver: NVG2 Draw
Woods: NVG2 3 & 5 Woods
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 3Irons: GT Xtreme 4-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.14Putter: White Hot XG9Balls: NXT, e6+Home Course: Apple Mountain Golf Course http://www.applemountaingolfga.com

I had a buddy throw his 7 iron off our cart and just snapped the shaft instantly, it was awesome lol

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I was trying to think back if I had ever chucked a club in anger. I honestly do not remember ever doing it but perhaps I did once or twice as a child?

But the worst showing of anger I have had on the course, I do remember. I was on vacation with my brother back in 1989 and we were playing a tough resort course. I had just bought a (cheap)Diawa putter just before the trip and had been putting OK with it but it just felt really good. I had been putting with a classic 8802 for years and the Diawa was a nice change.

We played a number of rounds over a two week period but this one particular round I was having an above average day in ball striking and had many birdie putts throughout the day that I missed. Well I made it to the toughest hole on the course, the 18th, and hit a beautiful drive and a fabulous 7 iron to within two feet of the hole. I was +3 on the day and figured that shooting a 74 for the round after putting that poorly from inside 15 feet wasn't so bad.

Well you may have guessed that I missed that 2 footer for birdie and tapped in for a 75. My brother has never done this to me before or since, but he comes over to me, the anger on my face is pretty obvious, and he say's "Go ahead man, you know you want to break it" meaning snap the putter in half. Well about a half second after those words left his mouth the putter got snapped in half! I remember my brother saying " Man, I was just kidding, I didn't think you would really do it, you never get mad on the course". Well after the putter went snap I instantly felt better and I told him the putter was officially retired after that round so it was no big deal. He was just stunned that I actually snapped it and then acted like everthing was OK,,,LOL!!!

It was some of the best golf therapy I've ever had and I've never harmed another club since!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

i really dont throw it all i do is just drop it like a ball drop......i did that with my putter i missed my first birdie today by a hair cause i kinda rushed my putt cause i got exited

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

Before I realized that "I'm not good enough to get mad"*, I had a terrible temper on the course. That just came with age, I think.

I think I peaked on the 14th at Groveport about 20 years ago. I was trying to quit smoking (again). I put my second in the bunker left and then left it there on my next shot.

I started grabbing clubs in bunches of 3 to 5 and throwing them as if in a hammer toss competition. Finally the bag was empty.

Man, I had to do a lot of walking to find the damned things.

Double Whammy: The 14th green is within 25 yards of the 15th tee and 100 yards from the landing area of the 16th. Maybe it was the embarrassment more than age.

*If you still throw clubs, repeat that to yourself 500 times a day until you stop.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I started grabbing clubs in bunches of 3 to 5 and throwing them as if in a hammer toss competition. Finally the bag was empty.

So you just flipped out and unloaded your entire bag??? Man that would have been fun to watch

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I've thrown one and I've watched my jackass brother take my Big Bertha driver, shank a drive and then break the head off the club on the tee box. He says he forgot he was using my club.

My wife wants to start playing so, I'm going to have to control my temper (mouth) a little better.

My wife wants to start playing so, I'm going to have to control my temper (mouth) a little better.

My precious 12 year old neice told me the other day; "I've never heard my pa'paw curse." (speaking of my father-in-law who is straight as an arrow and a deacon in his church)

I said to her, "That's because you've never been golfing with him." It's easy to weave a tapesty of obscenities on the course. It's mostly men and then you mix a little anger in and it becomes a recipe for such things.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

So you just flipped out and unloaded your entire bag??? Man that would have been fun to watch

That's pretty much what my group and the other three foursomes watching me had to say.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Like Tiger says: sometimes it's important to 'get it out'.

I snapped my lynx parallax 6 iron in half when I was a sophomore in highschool or so.
In Le Bag:

Driver: Burner 420 (circa 2002)
3-Wood: Original Bubble Burner (circa 1998)
5-Wood: noneHybrids: noneIrons: Silverscot Forged TourWedges: SV Tour BlackPutter: Black Series i #1Bag: Edge

I've watched my jackass brother take my Big Bertha driver, shank a drive and then break the head off the club on the tee box. He says he forgot he was using my club.

LOL,,,Sorry Man, I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time it happened,,,but that had me cracking up,,,,LOL!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I am considering adding a throwing/breaking club to my bag. I am currently carying only 13 clubs. That way I could stay within the rules and still have a way to vent withouing breaking a good club. We got my older son a new set for Christmas. Maybe I could use some of his old ones.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I recently went on a vacation and was put with a young fellow(in a twosome/we both had carts). This guy must have thrown his clubs(very nice cobra's) 15-20 times that round. Hell, it made it not even enjoyable for me. At first, it was kind of funny... you would hear a loud curse, then see a wedge helicopter over the green... but it got old real quick.

I couldn't even understand why the guy got so upset... We we not playing for anything... no $$$ on the line... just for fun(or so I thought). Heck, he almost acted like the U.S Open was on the line.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Note: This thread is 5991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!