IGNORED

Vegas in April

Note: This thread is 5819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was planning on going to Vegas in mid-April and was wondering what course to play (I've already played the TPC and both courses at Reflection Bay). Since I'll be staying on the Strip I wasn't sure if Bali Hai was worth the $$$ since I'll be saving a little on cab fares. I certainly don't mind paying but it hasn't to be worth it. I'm probably going to be back in the summer and wasn't sure if I should just wait until then, I can tolerate the heat.

In My Bag:
Driver: 905 9.5°, UST ProForce v2 Stiff
4-Wood: 904, 17°, Steel
Irons: 762, Steel
Wedges: Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 52/56/60Putter: 34" NewportBall: HX Tour

I've only played one course in the Vegas area, and it was brilliant: The Concord course at the Revere Golf Club at Anthem in Henderson.

Spendy, but I got a pretty hefty discount as a guest of a member.

Just beautiful, with panoramic views of the valley and surrounding mountains. Highly recommended.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

i'd love to hear about more vegas courses as well. i've played reflection bay and loved those courses. i've also played the wynn and even though i got the "summer" rate, it wasn't worth it (although the guy that showed up completely wasted, almost died on the first tee and quit after 14 golf shots on number one made it memorable).

but if you're looking for an experience, i highly recommend shadow creek. you have to stay at an mgm mirage resort/hotel and it's still $500 but it's truly an experience you'll never forget. i could go on for a while about my round out there, but i'll spare you....it is a magical place full of great stories and great golf that begins and ends with a limo ride.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

Bali Hai would be great - if it was somewhere else. By this I mean, it is right down town, and basically under the airport traffic and borders two rather noisy roadways to its East and West - one being I-15. So, while the design does harken back to an uncharted island you might find Gilligan on, the noise will remind you that you are in the city. It is a nice layout - not as good as your Reflection Bay choices and they don't have a warm up range - you hit off mats into nets - even though the mats have automatic ball reloading - not what I like.

No question if money is no object, Shadow Creek and Cascata are great choices in the stay and play game at around $500 each.

If you would rather pay in the $250 range, Rio Secco in Henderson, where Butch's school lives, is nice as is Bears Best in Summerlin to the West, a collection of Jack's favorite holes West of the Miss river. Both 20 minute min cab rides. Rio Secco used to be affiliated with the RIO hotel, so there may be a shuttle to that one.

I do like the Revere/antherm courses too.

If time is no problem - cheaper nice courses would be Paiute, 30 minutes north of the strip where Pete Dye has designed three courses, snow, sun, and wolf. Middle of a reservation with no homes to hit. Also, 90 minutes north in Mesquite Nv is Wolf Creek. Check their website out. Crazy elevation changes and golf carts with four wheel disc brakes cause of it. Kinda far away though.

Have fun!

J.P.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

For what it's worth I found this review on another site and they are usually spot on! I've on played in Vegas a couple of times myself, quite a number of years ago. and the only track I would revisit is Rhodes Ranch so I'm not really a Vegas expert.

Check this out!

Tuscany Golf Club - $$
Henderson, NV Reviewed by: mikelgabe, Tucson

This course was fantastic! It definately goes in my top 3 of the courses I have played. My wife and I played on Friday (3/14) and got hooked up with a couple of guys from Albuquerque. We went off on the back 9 . . there was a little wind, which played a factor for about 4-5 holes, but then it died down and the day was beautiful. This course is not overly long, but it definately makes you plan your next shot while making the current one. Not exactly a "grip it and rip it" course. There were several par 4's that were in the low 300's as far as yardage. There is water in play on several of the holes, the 9th and 18th having carries to the green over water on your approach shots. I played this course in large part because of designer Ted Robinson recently passing away, so I wanted to get to it before it gets "remodeled" as so many courses seem to. It's the first Robinson course I've played and the man was brilliant in creating optical illusions with his holes. Holes that played 350 looked 425 . . holes that played 125 looked 165. The greens were as good as any I've ever putted on. They held approach shots and rolled very true. Yes, there were some tiered greens, so the read was the tricky part, the ball went where you hit it. If there were anything to "nit pick" it would be only that the range was using mats, and the pro shop/clubhouse is pretty spartan in its appearance. The staff was incredibly friendly and accomodating. Even though it wasn't that hot out (mid 70's) the cart girl was by every 3-4 holes. This course has claimed a spot on my "absolutely must play this course again while in LV" list.

Bali Hai would be great - if it was somewhere else. By this I mean, it is right down town, and basically under the airport traffic and borders two rather noisy roadways to its East and West - one being I-15.

Bali Hai is a nice course if you like the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning.

Pass it by and save your $250. I agree with RodKeary. Rhodes Ranch is a good alternative. I've played it a couple of times.

Here is a report with regards to Rhodes Ranch that I found on another site.

Rhodes Ranch, a residential golf property 8 miles from the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, stretches out over land that is gearing up for some intense development in the coming years. This Ted Robinson design is, in many ways, what you would expect from this architect: Aesthetically pleasing holes, open routing, and water everywhere you look as it comes into play on at least 7 holes. The very first point I want to make about this course is that you can leave the stigma about housing development golf courses at the gate. You've got to hit a pretty bad shot to break any roof tiles, and with all the courses that are springing up nowadays where the houses cramp the golf course around every corner, Rhodes Ranch has, to it's well-deserved credit, avoided this and presents a layout that feels remarkably open.

Regarding the layout, Rhodes Ranch Golf Club is of average length and does not play overly long. For the average to longer hitter, there are at least 2 par 5s that make you think about an eagle, and a couple of par 4s that tempt you to give it everything you've got to knock it on from the tee. Each of these gambling holes, though, is not without defense, and presents a number of optional lines of play from which the player can choose. To me, every golf course should have one or two holes that gives you that chance to hit that once-in-a-lifetime shot, or that really makes you think about pulling the Driver versus the 5-iron from the tee. Rhodes Ranch has several of these holes, and setting aside the course's other merits, I confidently call this a very fun track to play based on this fact alone. As for the par 3s, they are excellent and each challenging in their own right. Three of the four feature water hazards, though none are exceptionally unfair or oddly incorporated. I've already mentioned the short par 4s as a strong feature of the course, which leads me to something I found lacking: a true brute of a par 4. Yes, the 18th hole is a tough one and features one of the more challenging approach shots you'll find, but with only one hole, the aforementioned 18th even peeking over the top of 440 yards from the tips, length is rarely a factor on this course. This is a small objection to an otherwise excellent mix of holes, and one I feel that other golfers might not share with me.

As for the facility, it is top notch. The clubhouse/pro shop are impressive and the service is impeccable. The practice range and putting green are both large and more than adequate for any practice your game might need.

Overall, the Rhodes Ranch experience leaves nothing to be desired when compared with other courses in this range - they present a complete package including prompt and friendly services, comprehensive facilities to suit any and all of your needs, and a well-conditioned golf course with enough fun and beautiful holes to keep you coming back.

I've played all of the courses mentioned in the thread so far. Here are a few rambling thoughts...I like Reflection Bay and the Falls a lot. Bali Hai is somewhat like Reflection Bay with more plam trees and sand and a lot more jets about 100 feet above your head as it's right next to McCarron Airport. If you like the mountain holes on the back 9 at the Falls you will love Wolf Creek. Every hole at Wolf creek is as spectaular as the best hole at the Falls. Wolf Creek is about a 75 minute drive North of the strip in Mesquite. It's worth the drive and green fees are significantly less than the courses in Vegas. I enjoyed the courses at Revere at Anthem (Lexington and Concord), but you can do better than those. The holes there seemed to blend into one another and there are lots of houses. I was disappointed with Rio Seco. For the money, I prefer to play any of the three Paiute courses (Sun Mtn, Snow Mtn and Wolf). They are always in great shape and fun to play. Wolf is a bit harder and more expensive. The other two (Sun and Snow) are bargains by Vegas standards. Paiute is about 25 minutes North of the Strip and well worth the drive. Another good bet are the two courses at Primm Valley (Lakes and Desert). They are fantatsic, two different styles, well conditioned and not too expensive. Primm is a 45 minute drive South of the Strip. If Dragon Ridge has not yet gone private it is a very nice course near Henderson that I prefer to the Revere courses. If you want something a little less expensive two very good muni's are Wild Horse which is only 10 minutes from the strip and Boulder Creek in Boulder City about 30 minutes south. I was pleasantly surprised by Tuscany. It is located very close to Lake Las Vegas. Not quite as nice but almost, and is much less expensive than Reflection Bay or the Falls.

Here are links to some of my photos of the Primm Valley courses, Dragon Ridge, Wolf Creek and the Revere courses

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557768692fBmMJz

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557831461nMfftu

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557826506HYlPLl

Bears Best is on my list of favorite courses. I played Paiute last year and really enjoyed the courses along with facilities. Both top notch places.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I liked Troon Golf's Badlands course, out in the Summerlin area.

Not sure what a cab ride we be from the strip to there. I think they have a package offer with Harrah's, but I think you may be able to book by yourself a better deal ? http://www.troongolf.com/company/cou..._golf_club.php http://www.badlandsgc.com/
I was planning on going to Vegas in mid-April and was wondering what course to play (I've already played the TPC and both courses at Reflection Bay). Since I'll be staying on the Strip I wasn't sure if Bali Hai was worth the $$$ since I'll be saving a little on cab fares. I certainly don't mind paying but it hasn't to be worth it. I'm probably going to be back in the summer and wasn't sure if I should just wait until then, I can tolerate the heat.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

• 2 weeks later...
Take your $500 to craps.. put $100 on the pass line and $150 behind it. Hit the point and you are up from 250 to 400.. then you can play the $500 course for between 100 and 250 net... if you lose, then play the $250 course and you are still out $500.. no foul... enjoy.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... newbie here.

I'll be visiting next month and I really do wish to sneak in a round. I read in some prior posts that the higher priced courses can set you back $250-$500 for a game of golf!? So how much would a 'reasonably priced' golf course charge for green fees? And how much generally do rental clubs cost?

Thanks guys!

If you get there later in May, some of the courses go to summer rates.

I played the Badlands for about $50 at the twilight rate, I got in 17 holes. I thought I seen their club rental was between $40 - 60. I believe there are some other courses in the Summerlin area if this course isn't what you want.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

• 4 weeks later...

80% of the courses out here have greens fees between $90-140 during their peak hours. twilight hours start about 2pm, and typical rates go for $35-50, with club rentals ranging from $25-60 depending on the course. i prefer to play in the afternoon around 2/3pm. its not terribly busy, and i can have the rest of day and the course to myself and take my time. if your staying at a hotel, talk to the guys at the bell desk. as a former bellman a few years back, we used to cut deals with courses in town for a few bucks less.

"im sorry, i cant hear you over the sound of how right i am."

the legacy golf club

80% of the courses out here have greens fees between $90-140 during their peak hours. twilight hours start about 2pm, and typical rates go for $35-50, with club rentals ranging from $25-60 depending on the course.

Thanks for your responses. Which among the second tier courses, $90-140, would you rank as the best in terms of value for money, course layout, course maintenance, facilities. Where can I get the best Las Vegas golfing experience at good value?

Thanks for your responses. Which among the second tier courses, $90-140, would you rank as the best in terms of value for money, course layout, course maintenance, facilities. Where can I get the best Las Vegas golfing experience at good value?

silverstone, tuscany, and both revere courses (anthem country club) are all pretty sweet courses with crazy layouts and insane views of the valley and communities. all of them stay in great shape throughout the year and the facilities are up to par. i think they all stay in the ballpark of $100-120, with revere possibly a couple bucks more cause its located in a suburb called "anthem" which one of the towns more exclusive neighborhoods.

you be the judge: silverstone golf club tuscany golf club revere golf club if you want anymore help pm me or drop me an email brian_dornbush@yahoo.com

"im sorry, i cant hear you over the sound of how right i am."

the legacy golf club

anyone tried Painted Desert?

Painted Desert is okay but there are many courses in Vegas I like better in the same price range. I always like the Paiute courses. They are top tier courses at mid level prices.

Note: This thread is 5819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!