IGNORED

Hole In One Challenge

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have any of y’all ever done a hole in one challenge? In case you aren’t familiar, you pick a shot (ideally a par 3 that’s 150 or less), and you keep hitting the shot until you make it. I personally have done a hole in one challenge, although it was in my own backyard. The shot I had was about 50 yards, but it’s a difficult shot because my green is severely undulated and very small.

I made it after about 200 shots, which is about an hour of work for me. For those of you who haven’t done one, it’s a whole lot of fun.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've always liked watching these, but it's heck on the green if you are making pitch marks. I have never done it myself, but if I were to do it, there is a hole on the shorter of my 2 home courses that is only ~75 from the whites or ~87 from the blues. I could take a soft PW or stock PQ from each respectively or a full GW from the whites. The green is above the tee, but there is a severe back to front slope that would allow for "2 chances per shot" potentially. I have come within 2 ft a couple of times on this hole during normal rounds, and if I continue to play there, I think this is the hole it would come on.

There many other good places to make this happen at my home courses, with only one that I would avoid out of 9 par 3s. Like I said, my biggest concern would be green health, but with proper pitch mark repair every 5 minutes or so, this wouldn't be too bad. Unfortunately the names of the courses are "Hills" and "Dales", and there is only one par 3 of the lot that doesn't have a large slope involved, so the walking would wear quickly, and I couldn't imagine getting more than 50 shots in without getting worn out, just from going to collect balls and repair marks every 10-15 shots.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 10/28/2020 at 9:57 PM, dagolfer18 said:

Have any of y’all ever done a hole in one challenge? In case you aren’t familiar, you pick a shot (ideally a par 3 that’s 150 or less), and you keep hitting the shot until you make it. I personally have done a hole in one challenge, although it was in my own backyard. The shot I had was about 50 yards, but it’s a difficult shot because my green is severely undulated and very small.

I made it after about 200 shots, which is about an hour of work for me. For those of you who haven’t done one, it’s a whole lot of fun.

So, that's really a thing?

Never even heard of it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

What are the odds of a hole-in-one on a 150 yard hole?  10,000 to 1?  One might spend a lot of time hitting shots, even considering that one might get a bit dialed in on the distance after a couple swings.

Brian Kuehn

7 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

What are the odds of a hole-in-one on a 150 yard hole?  10,000 to 1?  One might spend a lot of time hitting shots, even considering that one might get a bit dialed in on the distance after a couple swings.

I want to try for a couple hours just to see how close I could get. This summer, I’ve destroyed two cups from landing in the hole and with liners these days, who knows what would’ve happened with normal depth. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!