IGNORED

Sand Trap Superspeedsters - Support and Encouragement Group

iacas

5 hours ago, jshots said:

You don't think swinging max speed for 30-50 reps is going to cause hypertrophy? Add that on top of your normal golf and practice, golfers already have muscle imbalances.

Well, if you take someone who is completely out of shape then doing pretty much any activity will result in hypertrophy but thats short lived. But no, the load is too low. If someone is worried about or wants to correct imbalances you dont address that with reverse swings or anything sport specific.

5 hours ago, jshots said:

With such a high force thing I personally wouldn't mess with the protocol. I can't find the video but superspeed guys talk about the why for non dominant swings, it is more optimal for speed gains, improves mobility, and helps prevent injury.

These speed training things are a bit of a gimmick for regular people imo. Speed training, dynamic effort etc. have been around for ever and while it does work its pretty specialized and honestly most ppl would gain more speed by simply building a proper strength base, but its obviously not as cool as swinging a stick 😄.

Dont get me wrong this kind of training does work, but generally you will adapt quickly and stagnate.

59 minutes ago, Alx said:

Well, if you take someone who is completely out of shape then doing pretty much any activity will result in hypertrophy but thats short lived. But no, the load is too low. If someone is worried about or wants to correct imbalances you dont address that with reverse swings or anything sport specific.

These speed training things are a bit of a gimmick for regular people imo. Speed training, dynamic effort etc. have been around for ever and while it does work its pretty specialized and honestly most ppl would gain more speed by simply building a proper strength base, but its obviously not as cool as swinging a stick 😄.

Dont get me wrong this kind of training does work, but generally you will adapt quickly and stagnate.

Yeah they talk about plateaus but tbh I have never been consistent enough to see if that is true haha. I gained a lot of speed in a month and almost none in the next three. My left handed swing got a lot faster though an anecdotally I feel more mobile with those now. 

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
9 hours ago, jshots said:

IMO dominant side only seems like a bad idea. Speed training is exercise. Would you ever do bicep curls on only your right side?

Gonna take Sasho's opinion over yours on this one, particularly since what he says makes sense.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Gonna take Sasho's opinion over yours on this one, particularly since what he says makes sense.

Ok well then you should at least swing non dominant to practice for left handed hole in a super intendents revenge. 

Here I found the video I was talking about from superspeed. Makes sense to me. Especially if folks are not exercising much outside of golf.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, jshots said:

Ok well then you should at least swing non dominant to practice for left handed hole in a super intendents revenge. 

Here I found the video I was talking about from superspeed. Makes sense to me. Especially if folks are not exercising much outside of golf.

I've seen the videos from SuperSpeed. Have you seen Sasho's?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I've seen the videos from SuperSpeed. Have you seen Sasho's?

Yeah I saw that one. Don't really know what to think between the two :hmm:

I feel Sasho is very geared towards high performance where maybe SS is less so. I'm not really on the whole Phil decel argument but I just think injury prevention is important and Sasho doesn't really address that, at least in that video.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, jshots said:

I feel Sasho is very geared towards high performance where maybe SS is less so. I'm not really on the whole Phil decel argument but I just think injury prevention is important and Sasho doesn't really address that, at least in that video.

What about swinging from the left side prevents injury? If you watched the Sasho video, you'll see he says you use the same muscles to slow the club that you'd use to accelerate it in the other direction. You're effectively using both sides of your body swinging righty.

I don't think there's anything to the "injury prevention" thing, and in fact, I've seen people injure themselves slightly (nothing big, some wrists, some other little tweaks) making opposite-handed swings largely because they're so awkward.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think the "injury prevention" thing is overblown. What about swinging from the left side prevents injury? If you watched the Sasho video, you'll see he says you use the same muscles to slow the club that you'd use to accelerate it in the other direction. You're effectively using both sides of your body swinging righty.

I don't think there's anything to the "injury prevention" thing, and in fact, I've seen people injure themselves slightly (nothing big, some wrists, some other little tweaks) making opposite-handed swings largely because they're so awkward.

Full transparency lol I was out for nearly a month 2 summers ago after a not nearly warmed up enough awkward non dominant swing. Seems fine now but I do a lot more upper back work in the gym for posture/ desk job correction.