IGNORED

Michigan Golf Trip

Note: This thread is 1056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have planned out a 5 day golf trip for this summer around memorial day (only have to use 2 vacation days so I can hopefully do another later on in the year). I live in the thumb of Michigan and plan to head down to the Jackson area and work a little west. There were a couple courses I was intrigued in playing (Sugarbush in Davison and the Grande in Jackson) where I kind of based the trip around. Those are more expensive courses and I filled in the 5 day trip with cheaper courses that I tried to gather as much information, read reviews, look at pictures/videos, and check prices on for the most cost effective and fun golf experience. I plan on walking 36 holes a day. I assume come day 3 I will be a little worn out so I scheduled a little par 3 course where if I'm not feeling up to it I wont feel bad about skipping and I'll have enough funds I can take a cart the last 2 days (or all rounds really) if necessary, but I'm in pretty good (walking) shape I don't foresee it being an issue. Anyway, I don't know how many people in here are from Michigan or from the areas I'm targeting but any thoughts on the courses I've chosen, courses I should choose, places to stay, places to eat, or just tips from your own golf trips would all be appreciated! 

image.thumb.png.ebdb6f0f0509f78bd729bb26ffa68706.png

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

So I have planned out a 5 day golf trip for this summer around memorial day (only have to use 2 vacation days so I can hopefully do another later on in the year). I live in the thumb of Michigan and plan to head down to the Jackson area and work a little west. There were a couple courses I was intrigued in playing (Sugarbush in Davison and the Grande in Jackson) where I kind of based the trip around. Those are more expensive courses and I filled in the 5 day trip with cheaper courses that I tried to gather as much information, read reviews, look at pictures/videos, and check prices on for the most cost effective and fun golf experience. I plan on walking 36 holes a day. I assume come day 3 I will be a little worn out so I scheduled a little par 3 course where if I'm not feeling up to it I wont feel bad about skipping and I'll have enough funds I can take a cart the last 2 days (or all rounds really) if necessary, but I'm in pretty good (walking) shape I don't foresee it being an issue. Anyway, I don't know how many people in here are from Michigan or from the areas I'm targeting but any thoughts on the courses I've chosen, courses I should choose, places to stay, places to eat, or just tips from your own golf trips would all be appreciated! 

Looks pretty aggressive. May need to take some more time off work after that to recover.

2 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

The price is right for Greenbrier.   I've only played it once and if you pay more than your quote, you've paid too much.   

Sugarbush in Davison is a very nice course and it can play like a monster.   It will be all you want and then some.  It's my local public favorite.  They have spent some big $$ recently on the course.  You'll enjoy playing there.  

I know nothing of the others. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

45 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The price is right for Greenbrier.   I've only played it once and if you pay more than your quote, you've paid too much.   

Sugarbush in Davison is a very nice course and it can play like a monster.   It will be all you want and then some.  It's my local public favorite.  They have spent some big $$ recently on the course.  You'll enjoy playing there.  

I know nothing of the others. 

I thought last time we talked you hadn't heard of it did you play it last year? My friends parents own it and its the only course in my hometown I'm a member there lol. I think my game will be in a good place I want to try to take it on from the tips or at least one up I'm very excited. 

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Looks pretty aggressive. May need to take some more time off work after that to recover.

Meh I think I'll be alright I take far more swings than the average golfer lol still suck but I put in practice time like someone trying to make the tour ha

1 hour ago, Lugowskins said:

I thought last time we talked you hadn't heard of it did you play it last year? My friends parents own it and its the only course in my hometown I'm a member there lol. I think my game will be in a good place I want to try to take it on from the tips or at least one up I'm very excited. 

I apologize.   I have not played Greenbrier.    It was a course near Frankenmuth that I was remembering.   So sorry.

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I apologize.   I have not played Greenbrier.    It was a course near Frankenmuth that I was remembering.   So sorry.

All good, your comment may stand if you had played it was just checking lol its been a much neglected course but theyre improving it and its good people out there, 

16 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

What's wrong with Verona Hills, Bird Creek or Ubly Heights....? 🤣 Ironically I'll be up in the Thumb in June (Port Austin). 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Just now, Bucki1968 said:

What's wrong with Verona Hills, Bird Creek or Ubly Heights....? 🤣 Ironically I'll be up in the Thumb in June (Port Austin). 

I like Verona and love Ubly Heights! Never heard of Bird Creek though I'll have to look it up. This trip is as much get the hell out of the thumb for a while as it is about golf lol. What's bringing you up to Port Austin?

1 minute ago, Lugowskins said:

I like Verona and love Ubly Heights! Never heard of Bird Creek though I'll have to look it up. This trip is as much get the hell out of the thumb for a while as it is about golf lol. What's bringing you up to Port Austin?

I'm from that area. My mother lives in Pt. Austin. That's where Bird creek is. Good course. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Just now, Bucki1968 said:

I'm from that area. My mother lives in Pt. Austin. That's where Bird creek is. Good course. 

Was just going through their website looks like a nice course have to make a trip up next summer.

• 2 months later...

Speaking of Michigan Golf Trip I just purchased the "Golf Show Vouchers" for Garland up in Lewiston with my sister & her husband.  Since there is no Michigan Golf Show this year you just buy them through Garland's website.  Not a bad deal, $139 for 1 night lodging & 2 rounds & breakfast (excludes Friday & Saturday).  They will sell the vouchers Through March 5th.  We cannot book until March 15th.  We are hoping to go sometime between June 15th and July 4th.  We will get an extra night for 3 nights with 4 1/2 rounds: Fountains twice (wife's favorite there), Reflections & Monarch for the 18 holes and Swampfire for the 9 holes (too much water for my wife & sister).

I am so ready for Golf Season.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

35 minutes ago, StuM said:

Speaking of Michigan Golf Trip I just purchased the "Golf Show Vouchers" for Garland up in Lewiston with my sister & her husband.  Since there is no Michigan Golf Show this year you just buy them through Garland's website.  Not a bad deal, $139 for 1 night lodging & 2 rounds & breakfast (excludes Friday & Saturday).  They will sell the vouchers Through March 5th.  We cannot book until March 15th.  We are hoping to go sometime between June 15th and July 4th.  We will get an extra night for 3 nights with 4 1/2 rounds: Fountains twice (wife's favorite there), Reflections & Monarch for the 18 holes and Swampfire for the 9 holes (too much water for my wife & sister).

I am so ready for Golf Season.

This will be the second season in about the last 6 that we will miss gong to Garland.   I really enjoy that place and you can't beat the price.   The food is superb.   I like all of the courses except for Reflections.   When we were there last some of it was under water and they were logging some of the trees.   I'm sure it's much better now.   

Enjoy 

45 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

This will be the second season in about the last 6 that we will miss gong to Garland.   I really enjoy that place and you can't beat the price.   The food is superb.   I like all of the courses except for Reflections.   When we were there last some of it was under water and they were logging some of the trees.   I'm sure it's much better now.   

Enjoy 

Last year due to COVID the food seemed limited compared to the past.  We went to the Lewiston Lodge and that was great food with a lot of variety.  We like all Northern Michigan golf but Garland is our favorite.  Not that I complain about Treetops or any of the numerous others.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I've done some re working of the trip. I have paid for most of the lodging and actually found a couple rounds on groupgolfer that saved me a few bucks which was nice. I have also worked it out so that I will play 36 a day but one of the 18 I will ride on what I view as the days lesser course and then walk the nicer one. Partly to save more money walking the pricier courses and because I'll be just fine with taking my time and taking in a nicer course. I have a buddy I am trying to talk into going with me but he's getting married this year and dragging him away for 5 days might not go over well with the fiance considering we already have a Vegas trip planned for his bachelor party lol. Supposed to be warm the next few days I'm itching to get out I hope we get an early spring!

image.thumb.png.b507d03d8d7aa519ea66df75c77e7821.png

• Like 1

Sounds like a busy week of golf, enjoy.  Looking forward to some reviews on those courses since I've not played any of them.

Stuart M.

6 hours ago, StuM said:

Sounds like a busy week of golf, enjoy.  Looking forward to some reviews on those courses since I've not played any of them.

I've been tirelessly going over the courses for a while now I feel like I've played them all despite never stepping foot on them lol My Garmin approach G80 launch monitor has a virtual round option I've played through all the courses a bunch of times as well as looking over them all on the 18 birdies course explorer. Sugarbush and Cascades are really nice Cascades looks more scoreable. Devils Lake and Marshall GC are shorter munies that are pretty wide open. Medalist is one of the tightest courses I've seen, my goal going in there is no lost balls but the reviews I've read and looking over the course I know it is going to be a challenge. Calderone is a pretty reputable course, not short but looks like the par 5s are attackable and if you dont try to bully the course you can score well. The Grande looks incredible and the reviews are great I intend on taking it on from the tips at around 7100 being the end of the trip it will be the true test of where I'm at skill wise. Greenbrier is my home course it honestly sucks but my friends dad owns it and I'm a member there (for now) very short with small parking lot like greens which make it challenging doubt you'll ever be in the area but I think most golfers would have fun out there. I plan on recording a lot and making a video of the trip so I will post that and will give reviews with it. 

39 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Grande looks incredible and the reviews are great I intend on taking it on from the tips at around 7100 being the end of the trip it will be the true test of where I'm at skill wise. Greenbrier is my home course it honestly sucks but my friends dad owns it and I'm a member there (for now) very short with small parking lot like greens which make it challenging doubt you'll ever be in the area but I think most golfers would have fun out there.

Only @ 60 mile drive to Greenbrier for me.  If you do not mind a high capper we could connect sometime.

Stuart M.

5 minutes ago, StuM said:

Only @ 60 mile drive to Greenbrier for me.  If you do not mind a high capper we could connect sometime.

For sure just let me know when you would like to come up!

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!